PDA

View Full Version : Are you a book hoarder?

pulstar
02-15-2020, 07:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ncL2sP-7U

So lets see how many of TA are obsessed by books. If so, what kind of books you are mostly collecting and do you think you go OCD when you see the book you like in a bookstore?

Ülev
02-15-2020, 07:25 PM
České knihy only, sorry
https://i.postimg.cc/nL6NCt5t/katerina-zahanska.jpg

Satem
02-15-2020, 07:27 PM
Nope

TheMaestro
02-15-2020, 07:28 PM
Last time I had a book in my hands it when to fireplace.

Bosniensis
02-15-2020, 07:28 PM
No.. we have internet ffs

pulstar
02-15-2020, 07:40 PM
No.. we have internet ffs

I got full 29 piece Encyclopedia Britannica 1998 edition with 4 extra index books, tons of autobiographies & biographies, psychology, various science, engineering, mathematics, arts & humanities, traveling, architecture, and science-fiction on 7 or 8 large shelves :lol:

Bosniensis
02-15-2020, 07:42 PM
I got full 29 piece Encyclopedia Britannica 1998 edition with 4 extra index books, tons of autobiographies & biographies, psychology, various science, engineering, mathematics, arts & humanities, traveling, architecture, and science-fiction on 7 or 8 large shelves :lol:

Good God,

You don't have to buy fire-starters for the next 50 years.

Westbrook
02-15-2020, 07:46 PM
I usually give books away after I finish them unless it's something I might need to reference later.

pulstar
02-15-2020, 07:55 PM
I usually give books away after I finish them unless it's something I might need to reference later.

Part of the books I own are over 60 years old (some more than 100 years old) and have actual value, apart from sentimental.

щрбл
02-15-2020, 08:03 PM
Чукча не читатель, Чукча - писатель.

frankhammer
02-15-2020, 08:11 PM
I have 150 or so stored in a cabinet in the garage. When i moved into my home 4 years ago, i gave 6 large boxes of books to the local hospice shop.

Amongst the books and annuals i kept are a fair number of 50s- 70s kids books you can't buy today. No modern filters, raw, simple and adventurous. My kids loved them growing up so I'm keeping them for future generations of planet/race slayers. :shrug:

It may seem odd but my son wants them saved too.

The Lawspeaker
02-15-2020, 08:15 PM
Yes. Next question.

Óttar
02-15-2020, 08:39 PM
I have a 9 volume bilingual Sanskrit-English Ramayana that's over 9,000 pages long. I have a number of Sanskrit-English Hindu prayer books and some German books. I inherited my grandfather's small library of leather-bound, gold-leafed paged, literary classics, and I would like to own the entire Harvard Loeb Classical Library in bilingual Latin-English and Greek-English translation. There was also a Sanskrit library based on the Loeb Classical Library, but they are currently on hiatus due to lack of funding.

Unfortunately, my reading has diminished since leaving school due to my brain being fried by computer screens, but I still manage to read occasionally.

sean
02-16-2020, 11:34 AM
I have like 2000 books filling up my phone that I've been neglecting to read. I basically downloaded every book online that interested me and I'm saving them for rainy days. I have way too many books that I'll probably never read lel.

pulstar
02-16-2020, 07:52 PM
I have like 2000 books filling up my phone that I've been neglecting to read. I basically downloaded every book online that interested me and I'm saving them for rainy days. I have way too many books that I'll probably never read lel.

This is minor reason why I (mostly) stopped using electronic books. Major reason would be combination of reducing time spent in front of screens and the fact I can focus better when I read paper books.

Celestia
02-16-2020, 07:59 PM
I still have my books I read from elementary school. So yes,
There’s a certain appeal to old books imo.

wisteria
02-20-2020, 07:01 PM
I really love books, but I don’t hoard them. I only buy the ones I really really like, are useful, or that I expect I’ll read more than once. I get books from the library very often.

Maintenance
02-20-2020, 07:02 PM
No, i own like 10 books.

Smeagol
02-20-2020, 07:08 PM
No. I collect a lot of books, but I also sell or give away many when I'm done with them.

Laly
08-24-2020, 12:53 PM
Yes, I am a book hoarder, and it worries a little bit my husband. He says I buy books compulsively. In fact, I buy books even when I've not yet read the ones bought previously. I have a big physical library, with a lot of literary books, travel books, books on art and cinema, history books and religious books. Now, I buy mainly history and religious books.

Melki
08-31-2020, 05:39 PM
Yes, I'm a bookworm and a compulsive buyer of books. A week doesn't go by without me buying my share of new books.

In fact, this is me.

https://zupimages.net/up/20/36/x3nn.jpg (https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/36/x3nn.jpg)

Difficult to properly assess the number of books on my shelves. Probably something between 3 000 and 4 000...

calxpal
08-31-2020, 06:17 PM
I have hoarded certain kinds of books including Manga and puzzle books (hope those count lol) :thumb001::).

JosephK
08-31-2020, 06:23 PM
I don't have enough space for my books. I've had to rent a storage space for them. In the old days I would buy them then sell them back to a used bookseller as soon as I read them, I almost made a living doing that... or at least I could recoup some of what I spent. Now my apartment is overflowing: tables, chairs, the floor, with stacks of books and journals and papers. My wife hates it but we don't have much of a choice.

Samnium
08-31-2020, 06:52 PM
Many litterature, history and art books.

Some psychological too : I have two books from Freud for example.

Without forgetting religious and "esoterical" one : about Free-massons, Holy Grail, the Bible etc.

JosephK
08-31-2020, 06:58 PM
I can't imagine the kind of money I spent when, having lived in England for a little over a year, I shipped all of the books I bought back to the States... numerous trips to the Post office over a period of a couple months. But I still probably came out ahead, since good books were so cheap in the UK and easy to find (my goodness, the free books I was entitled to at Waterstones and WH Smith! Ridiculous!). We don't really have bookshops in Chicago, especially now since Barnes and Noble closed down.