PDA

View Full Version : Romanian doctor suspended for calling Asian colleagues 'orang-utans'

Vulpix
03-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Romanian doctor suspended for calling Asian colleagues 'orang-utans' (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1163503/Romanian-doctor-suspended-calling-Asian-colleagues-orang-utans.html)

A doctor who described her Asian colleagues as ‘orang-utans’ has been suspended by the General Medical Council.

Dr Silvia Baciu, 43, made the comments after claiming she had been subjected to insulting and threatening treatment because she was a white European.

But the NHS Trust she worked for accused her of racism and the GMC yesterday criticised her ‘unacceptable racial behaviour’.

Dr Baciu, who is originally from Romania, worked as a Senior House Officer in anaesthetics at Basildon Hospital, Essex, from June 2004 to November 2005.

After she left the department, she reuested a meeting with the Trust to discuss alleged
discrimination at the hands of her colleagues. She prepared a 12-page document to support her claims.

The GMC heard that she had written: ‘It’s not my fault that in the heads of senior Asian colleagues, there’s no difference between an educated white woman and a donkey. It’s not my fault that I was born in Europe and not
in South-East Asia, like other trainees. It’s not my fault that I’m white.

‘I dare to suggest to you, mon cher, that ( some doctors) are exempt from known immigration laws.
‘The brainy Asian males of this department can’t place themselves before the law.’

Dr Baciu, who lives in Northampton, added in the document that she feared that European science
would ‘disappear’ because there were so many Asian doctors.

She added: ‘The orang-utan section of the department is ready for action and I assure you of their effectiveness.’

Later in the document, Dr Baciu claimed she had been threatened and harassed and found attitudes towards her ‘very hard to endure’.

The GMC was told that Dr Baciu had problems adjusting to working in the UK. Craig Ferguson, for the GMC, also said there were concerns over her communication skills and her ability to complete written assessments.

Dr Baciu said that the word ‘orang-utan’ did not refer to the doctors’ appearance, but their aggressive and threatening behaviour, both in public and private.

But Mr Ferguson said: ‘Any reference to members of an ethnic group who differ from the dominant group in the UK because of the colour of their skin is racist, and any suggestion to the contrary is unsustainable.

'That this could be considered as anything other than racist is a nonsense.’
Suspending Dr Baciu for six months Ralph Bergman, who chaired the hearing, said: ‘The period of suspension will enable you to reflect on your unacceptable conduct, to take steps to become more aware of the unacceptability of racial behaviour and to satisfy a future panel that you have gained the necessary degree of insight.’

Mr Bergman added that Dr Baciu’s decision not to give evidence herself was concerning. The GMC recommended that she attend a training course in diversity before her case is reviewed later this year.

The Lawspeaker
03-20-2009, 10:26 PM
The typical hypocrisy of it all barely shocks, amazes or surprises me anymore.
The outrage however stays.

Loki
03-20-2009, 10:27 PM
But Mr Ferguson said: ‘Any reference to members of an ethnic group who differ from the dominant group in the UK because of the colour of their skin is racist, and any suggestion to the contrary is unsustainable.

This quote caught my eye too. So basically, any criticism levelled against non-white people in this country is considered invalid and racist. :mad:

Hildolf
03-22-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't think there is any need for this Romanian to insult poor Orang-utans.