PDA

View Full Version : Why do we give value to inanimate objects?

poiuytrewq0987
08-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Like gold or paper money?

Aces High
08-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Because its a usefull way to oil the wheels of society.....quite simple and everyone can understand it.

As for making it your god,id ask a jew that question......beeing an Englishman i wouldnt know.
I myself concur with the great Englisman William Blakes philosophy.

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Boudica
08-19-2011, 07:54 AM
I thought about something like this once.. What the world would be like if everything was free and money didn't exist (not sure if this is what you are talking about though). I came to the conclusion that the world would be a cesspool because no one would have the ambition to do what needs to be done. Lets say for example your roof fell off of your house and you needed construction workers to build you a new one and replace it.. Of course the construction workers wouldn't do all of that hard labor out of the goodness of their heart, they would want something in return for their work. That is how the world goes.. People are greedy and they are not selfless, most have to have something given to them in return.

Aces High
08-19-2011, 08:40 AM
I thought about something like this once.. What the world would be like if everything was free and money didn't exist

Was that when you went through your "dancin fo the man aint where its at" phase....?

Comte Arnau
08-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Because bartering was a subjective practice, while attributing specific values to something, whether it's salt, gold or paper money, it's more objective and contributes to a more fluid trade in complicated societies.

I was thinking from the title that the question would rather be about why we give value to inanimate simple objects, that is, a sentimental value. As a guy who happened to have much of what had collected burned in a fire, but started to collect things again after a short period, I'd say it's a bit in the human nature to feel related to some objects that help giving a sense of identity to your life.

Canute
08-19-2011, 05:32 PM
What used to be basic needs escalated into something else. You have to give something in return for an item because you didn't put in the time or effort to make it.

The Goy Chevalier
08-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Because our living essence and aura permeates the world around us and naturally infuses these objects of our interaction with this very same life force.

Sorry for the shitty new-ageisms, but really, it's the effect of that conscious element which defines us as humans that we turn on it itself in attempting to explain it to itself.

Sikeliot
08-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Value is given to inanimate objects because as people, it's easier to sort things in our mind and make sense of them if we assign some sort of value to them.

Tony
08-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Like gold or paper money?

Because they are for a society what is blood for a body.

For example, now that we as Westernes are experiencing less and less money, because it's being shipped to Asia or kept in the hands of a few plutocrats, we're feeling more and more as we starved.