PDA

View Full Version : I'm Australian

Sahson
08-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Did the oath today, sang the national anthem, and I now have to vote... All the other people were getting their citizenship.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/205836_10150269592189067_745334066_7672990_2912176 _n.jpg

Mordid
08-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Congratulation. Now, you can marry Mary or whatever.

Crossbow
08-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Congratulations, you feel different now?;):)

Sahson
08-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Congratulations, you feel different now?;):)

Yes, I feel more Germanic. oh wait whoops Australian :P

Wulfhere
08-18-2011, 05:06 PM
A friend of mine once approached the Australian high commission to ask about emigrating there. The first thing they asked is if he had a criminal record. He replied, "I didn't know you still needed one." The interview was terminated. What happened to their sense of humour?

Graham
08-18-2011, 05:19 PM
well done Aussie!

Nglund
08-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Did you have to dump British citizenship (if you ever had it that is)?

Sahson
08-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Did you have to dump British citizenship (if you ever had it that is)?

no allowed to keep duality. However If I want to become a Swede, or a Pakistani i have to give up my Australian. However I still retain my British. Once Australian you have to forego your Australian to be something else. They will return it, if the person that did it was of "good character."

Australian's aren't really allowed dual passports. Only in extreme cases can an Australian be allowed to acquire a second passport. like Australians that claim for irish passports because their parents have an irish is allowed.

Australian Nationality is based on the principle of Jus Soli, not Jus Sanguinis. I personally prefer the latter, because if my son was born in a kennel, that doesn't make him a dog.

Jus Soli - Right of the Soil also known as birthright citizenship, is a right by which nationality or citizenship can be recognized to any individual born in the territory of the related state.[2] At the turn of the nineteenth century, nation-states commonly divided themselves between those granting nationality on the grounds of jus soli (France, for example)

Jus Sanguinis - Right of the blood is a social policy by which citizenship is not determined by place of birth, but by having a parent(s) who are citizens of the nation. It contrasts with jus soli (Latin for "right of soil").
At the end of the 19th century, the French-German debate on nationality saw Ernest Renan oppose the German conception of an "objective nationality", based on blood, race or even, as in Fichte's case, language. Renan's republican conception explains France's early adoption of jus soli. Many nations have a mixture of jus sanguinis and jus soli, including the United States, Canada, Italy, Israel, Germany (as of recently), Greece, the Republic of Ireland and others.

Gaztelu
08-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Out of curiosity, how many Asians/other non-Euros were there with you receiving citizenship?

Sahson
08-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Out of curiosity, how many Asians/other non-Euros were there with you receiving citizenship?

2 out of 40. Is the rough figure, I'll look at the paper when i get back from work, and give you the exact figure.

Gaztelu
08-19-2011, 09:12 PM
2 out of 40. Is the rough figure, I'll look at the paper when i get back from work, and give you the exact figure.

Thanks.

Logan
08-19-2011, 09:15 PM
http://blog.earnmydegree.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/congratulations.jpg

Not required in the States.

Sahson
08-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks.

They've recently been talking about the Australian nationality test, because some residents who take it(mainly asian ethnic) can't apparently understand it... Well I managed 95% and I'm not an expert on the Australian constitution.

Here is the test (http://www.citizenship.gov.au/learn/cit_test/practice/), see if you can become an australian.

Honestly I liked the test, and system I went through. No one should be handed out a passport if they don't know basic political and legal systems of Australia.

Germanicus
08-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Gday mate, i had an interesting convo with a kiwi, i jokingly said to him New Zealand had their fair share of convicts..he replied "not so mate, not one convict was sent to New Zealand" was he right?

Sahson
08-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Gday mate, i had an interesting convo with a kiwi, i jokingly said to him New Zealand had their fair share of convicts..he replied "not so mate, not one convict was sent to New Zealand" was he right?

I don't know, I don't care about them, all i know is they migrate into Australia for centerlink.

Bridie
08-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Gday mate, i had an interesting convo with a kiwi, i jokingly said to him New Zealand had their fair share of convicts..he replied "not so mate, not one convict was sent to New Zealand" was he right? Almost true, but not quite...

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~tonyf/parkhurstboys/convicts4.html

I don't know, I don't care about them, all i know is they migrate into Australia for centerlink.

Blah... that's so not true! :p (You must be only thinking about the Maoris. ;)) Most Kiwis come over here because there's more money to be made. :shrug:

Sahson
08-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Blah... that's so not true! :p (You must be only thinking about the Maoris. ;)) Most Kiwis come over here because there's more money to be made. :shrug:

They're kiwis bru :P I'm beached as! :P Would ya like a chip bru?

Bridie
08-20-2011, 08:13 AM
They're kiwis bru :P I'm beached as! :P Would ya like a chip bru?Enly ef I git fush weth 'im!! :D Fush 'n' chups.... mmmmm.... :yumyum: Make et sex lots and we'll hev a party!!! :cheers:

poiuytrewq0987
08-20-2011, 08:20 AM
They've recently been talking about the Australian nationality test, because some residents who take it(mainly asian ethnic) can't apparently understand it... Well I managed 95% and I'm not an expert on the Australian constitution.

Here is the test (http://www.citizenship.gov.au/learn/cit_test/practice/), see if you can become an australian.

Honestly I liked the test, and system I went through. No one should be handed out a passport if they don't know basic political and legal systems of Australia.

Do I win something? That test is ridiculously easy lol.

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/681/adfad.png

Aces High
08-20-2011, 08:20 AM
no allowed to keep duality. However If I want to become a Swede, or a Pakistani i have to give up my Australian. However I still retain my British. Once Australian you have to forego your Australian to be something else. They will return it, if the person that did it was of "good character."

Australian's aren't really allowed dual passports. Only in extreme cases can an Australian be allowed to acquire a second passport. like Australians that claim for irish passports because their parents have an irish is allowed.

Australian Nationality is based on the principle of Jus Soli, not Jus Sanguinis. I personally prefer the latter, because if my son was born in a kennel, that doesn't make him a dog.

Jus Soli - Right of the Soil also known as birthright citizenship, is a right by which nationality or citizenship can be recognized to any individual born in the territory of the related state.[2] At the turn of the nineteenth century, nation-states commonly divided themselves between those granting nationality on the grounds of jus soli (France, for example)

Jus Sanguinis - Right of the blood is a social policy by which citizenship is not determined by place of birth, but by having a parent(s) who are citizens of the nation. It contrasts with jus soli (Latin for "right of soil").
At the end of the 19th century, the French-German debate on nationality saw Ernest Renan oppose the German conception of an "objective nationality", based on blood, race or even, as in Fichte's case, language. Renan's republican conception explains France's early adoption of jus soli. Many nations have a mixture of jus sanguinis and jus soli, including the United States, Canada, Italy, Israel, Germany (as of recently), Greece, the Republic of Ireland and others.

So someone born in Australia to foreign parents has the right to citizenship...?

Bridie
08-20-2011, 08:23 AM
So someone born in Australia to foreign parents has the right to citizenship...?Yes.

Sahson
08-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Enly ef I git fush weth 'im!! :D Fush 'n' chups.... mmmmm.... :yumyum: Make et sex lots and we'll hev a party!!! :cheers:

You're my Bust Frund!!

GzxUbOrMnOY

Turkey
08-20-2011, 08:24 AM
2 out of 40. Is the rough figure, I'll look at the paper when i get back from work, and give you the exact figure. Is that normal or was it just a special european group?

poiuytrewq0987
08-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Australia seems like a nice place, especially Sydney, (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Martinsplace.jpg) if I was moving there I'd want to live there.

Bridie
08-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Is that normal or was it just a special european group?From what I've heard of what it's like over East now, I'd imagine there would have been more than 2 non-Euros getting citizenship that day if Sahson weren't in Western Australia. Most of the immigrants we get over here are still Poms. (And quite a few South Africans too.)

Bridie
08-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Australia seems like a nice place, especially Sydney, (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Martinsplace.jpg) if I was moving there I'd want to live there.Sydney sucks. :p

poiuytrewq0987
08-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Sydney sucks. :p

May I ask why? :D

Loki
08-20-2011, 08:34 AM
May I ask why? :D

Sydney would be way too hot for my Northern genes. I hate getting red nose, ears and skin peel from the sun. :(

Bridie
08-20-2011, 08:35 AM
May I ask why? :DToo over-populated, too polluted, too multicultural and it's chockablock full of Eastern Staters. :( (Eastern Staters being Eastern State Australians. :p)

Bridie
08-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Sydney would be way too hot for my Northern genes. I hate getting red nose, ears and skin peel from the sun. :(Sydney is an ice box compared to Perth! :D

Loki
08-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Sydney is an ice box compared to Perth! :D

So many of my fellow South Africans are now in Perth though ... they love it.

Sahson
08-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Do I win something? That test is ridiculously easy lol.

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/681/adfad.png

Yes, and they're talking about dumping it, because it's too difficult for minorites. OH GOODNESS!!! THE HORROR!! :eek:

So someone born in Australia to foreign parents has the right to citizenship...?

According to the laws...

Australia seems like a nice place, especially Sydney, (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Martinsplace.jpg) if I was moving there I'd want to live there.

Sydney is a multicultural dump, you only have to look at Liverpool to be convinced not to live there. Melbourne isn't bad, Brisbane is okay... Perth is good :P Adelaide... well moving on.

Bridie
08-20-2011, 08:38 AM
So many of my fellow South Africans are now in Perth though ... they love it.

They tend to be a good lot. :thumb001: Totally mad! :D I like South Africans. :)

Bridie
08-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Sydney is a multicultural dump, you only have to look at Liverpool to be convinced not to live there. Melbourne isn't bad, Brisbane is okay... Perth is good :P Adelaide... well moving on.I would recommend Tassie. :thumb001: Launceston and Hobart are beautiful, cozy little cities. I would prefer to be there than here, to be honest...

But employment is hard to find there. :(

Sahson
08-20-2011, 08:42 AM
They tend to be a good lot. :thumb001: Totally mad! :D I like South Africans. :)

Fucking Afrikaaners live next door to me, at least they're not nigger jews. :P Yes lots of Afrikaaners here, i know 10 at university, and 2 were teachers in my high school.

Sahson
08-20-2011, 08:43 AM
I would recommend Tassie. :thumb001: Launceston and Hobart are beautiful, cozy little cities. I would prefer to be there than here, to be honest...

But employment is hard to find there. :(

Yeah if you don't mind there being only 6 different surnames in hobart. :p upside is chopper lives there, so crime is at an all time low. :P

Aces High
08-20-2011, 08:51 AM
According to the laws...

Is this a formality....?as in the US.

Arrow Cross
08-20-2011, 08:53 AM
How "hardcore" do you find the PC enviroment Down Under, as compared to other countries of the Anglosphere? Many Westerners I know would like to think Aussies are more rebellous and freedom-loving in this regard as well, than say Brits and Americans.

All I know of is the ridiculous censorship laws cracking down even on harmless computer games.

Sahson
08-20-2011, 08:58 AM
How "hardcore" do you find the PC enviroment Down Under, as compared to other countries of the Anglosphere? Many Westerners I know would like to think Aussies are more rebellous and freedom-loving in this regard as well, than say Brits and Americans.

All I know of is the ridiculous censorship laws cracking down even on harmless computer games.

you're allowed to swear and cuss on the radio, and television. though at work i have been told off, and written up countless times for using words like "middle-aged" and "large" to describe customers physique.

surely large is better than fat or obese, apparently i was told i should have said a Man with a good appetite. :confused:

EDIT:- This is how PC Australia is...

a55EVd7fxo4

Turkophagos
08-20-2011, 10:59 AM
May I ask why it sucks? :D

Many Greeks there.

Sahson
08-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Many Greeks there.

Thankfully they stay in Melbourne.

Turkey
08-20-2011, 11:06 AM
If you feel it's whiter here then it must be grim indeed in england. That saddens me greatly

Sahson
08-20-2011, 11:13 AM
If you feel it's whiter here then it must be grim indeed in england. That saddens me greatly

Perth is A LOT whiter than England. I saw just as many turks and Pakistanis.

Bridie
08-20-2011, 11:18 AM
How "hardcore" do you find the PC enviroment Down Under, as compared to other countries of the Anglosphere? Many Westerners I know would like to think Aussies are more rebellous and freedom-loving in this regard as well, than say Brits and Americans.I think it used to be true, but they're cracking down hard on us these days.

In the last 10 months I've received 7 speeding fines, multiple demerit points on my license, been caught once for driving an unlicensed vehicle and once for running a red light. Now, you might be led to believe that I'm just a bad driver... but perish the thought!! :fhmm: :wink I'm a fabulous driver, :D but living in what is now a police state. :1099:

Sahson
08-20-2011, 11:29 AM
I think it used to be true, but they're cracking down hard on us these days.

In the last 10 months I've received 7 speeding fines, multiple demerit points on my license, been caught once for driving an unlicensed vehicle and once for running a red light. Now, you might be led to believe that I'm just a bad driver... but perish the thought!! :fhmm: :wink I'm a fabulous driver, :D but living in what is now a police state. :1099:

Yes the Policing in WA is A FUCKING JOKE!!! :yell::banghead::cussing:cussing

For those that don't know if you do 71 in a 70 zone in WA you will get a fine of $50!!! Plus many of the roads have purposely put slower speed limits to gain revenue. Some roads here in WA that are a 70km/h zone would be a 90km/h zone in the UK!!!

Also many roads that you turn onto in WA aren't signposted, so you can drive 5 minutes on it without knowing the speed limit, so you just simply assume...

But I'm a better driver than you Mary :D Driven through a red llight once, didn't get caught. 2 speeding fines, one cost me $350 :( and another that was $50. I think i lose the 3 demerit points this year, so i'll be on a clean slate again.

But the speeds are a fucking joke.

Bridie
08-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Yes the Policing in WA is A FUCKING JOKE!!! :yell::banghead::cussing:cussing

For those that don't know if you do 71 in a 70 zone in WA you will get a fine of $50!!!I didn't even know that. Was the law just changed recently? It used to be, at least, (I thought it still was) that you could exceed the speed limit by 10% without being fined.

But I'm a better driver than you Mary :D Driven through a red llight once, didn't get caught. 2 speeding fines, one cost me $350 :( and another that was $50. I think i lose the 3 demerit points this year, so i'll be on a clean slate again.

But the speeds are a fucking joke.

Whoa, that's a massive speeding fine. :eek: I hate to think how fast you were driving! :p

I was fined less for being caught driving an unlicensed car. And I had to go to court and receive a conviction for that one and all. (Actually, my fine was only $50, but then I had to pay nearly $250 in court costs.)

Sahson
08-20-2011, 11:43 AM
I didn't even know that. Was the law just changed recently? It used to be, at least, (I thought it still was) that you could exceed the speed limit by 10% without being fined.

Yes the faggots changed it, now no one in my City/shire does 80 in the 70 zones...

Whoa, that's a massive speeding fine. :eek: I hate to think how fast you were driving! :p

I was fined less for being caught driving an unlicensed car. And I had to go to court and receive a conviction for that one and all. (Actually, my fine was only $50, but then I had to pay nearly $250 in court costs.)

Well if you know the laws... I was in a 100 zone, and I had recently got back from California where I had been driving 140km/h, I didn't notice... and then i saw a flash.

My dad got caught by a pig for apparently not indicating off a round-a-bout no bigger than a head of a pin. he complained saying the law doesn't state he has too, well ended up having to pay $200. it was apparently law.

Bridie
08-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Well if you know the laws... Not really, I don't bother with such things. Maybe I should so I wouldn't be constantly getting fines! :D (And now I'm just hoping that I won't get caught for driving with a suspended license. :p)

Nglund
08-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Naughty naughty :D...

Sahson
08-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Not really, I don't bother with such things. Maybe I should so I wouldn't be constantly getting fines! :D (And now I'm just hoping that I won't get caught for driving with a suspended license. :p)

How many people do that? :eek::eek::eek::eek: Considering all the fines people get, i bet half the people in Perth must be driving on suspended licences.

MAry the laws are...

No more than 9km/h $75, 0 demerit
More than 9km/h not more than 19km/h $150, 2 demerits
More than 19km/h not more than 29km/h $250, 3 demerits
More than 29km/h not more than 40km/h $350, 5 demerits (but when I got caught it was 3.)
Over 40km/h $1000, 7 demerits

* demerit points are doubled on long weekends, and public holidays.

Treffie
08-20-2011, 12:04 PM
I think it used to be true, but they're cracking down hard on us these days.

In the last 10 months I've received 7 speeding fines, multiple demerit points on my license, been caught once for driving an unlicensed vehicle and once for running a red light. Now, you might be led to believe that I'm just a bad driver... but perish the thought!! :fhmm: :wink I'm a fabulous driver, :D

Jeezuz, I've been driving for over 20 years and only had one speeding fine - they caught me doing 92 mph (148kmh) in a 70mph (112.7kmh) zone.

but living in what is now a police state. :1099:

Admit it, you're a delinquent! :p

Sahson
08-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Jeezuz, I've been driving for over 20 years and only had one speeding fine - they caught me doing 92 mph (148kmh) in a 70mph (112.7kmh) zone.

Admit it, you're a delinquent! :p

Only one speeding fine? I've been driving for 5years, and had 6 but two only had demerit points as well.

Bridie
08-20-2011, 12:14 PM
How many people do that? :eek::eek::eek::eek: Considering all the fines people get, i bet half the people in Perth must be driving on suspended licences.

MAry the laws are...

No more than 9km/h $75, 0 demerit
More than 9km/h not more than 19km/h $150, 2 demerits
More than 19km/h not more than 29km/h $250, 3 demerits
More than 29km/h not more than 40km/h $350, 5 demerits (but when I got caught it was 3.)
Over 40km/h $1000, 7 demerits

* demerit points are doubled on long weekends, and public holidays.

I don't know how you remember all of that, honestly Sahson. I look at the laws written down like that and all I see is "blah blah blah..." :noidea:

Gaztelu
08-20-2011, 05:26 PM

I took all four (two of them were the same test) and recieved 17 of 20.

I can be a citizen of the Anglosphere!

Sahson
08-20-2011, 05:29 PM
I took all four (two of them were the same test) and recieved 17 of 20.

I can be a citizen of the Anglosphere!

Congratulations :thumb001:

Now you just need to live here for 5 years. :D

Aces High
08-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Thank god im here in Italy,here at the traffic lights green means go....yellow means go if you can and red means go if you dare.

AussieScott
08-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Perth is A LOT whiter than England. I saw just as many turks and Pakistanis.

I miss Perth my home city. I want to move to the south west eventually. The conservative Qld town will do me for now.

Troll's Puzzle
09-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Deserters used to be shot.