PDA

View Full Version : Five Reasons Why Catholicism is not Christian

Loyalist
03-22-2009, 02:06 AM
This article has been available for some time on the European Institute of Protestant Studies, affiliated with Ian Paisley and his Free Presbyterian Church.

T = TRINITY OF GOD USURPED!

The Pope claims the place and names that belong to God alone (Vatican II, Lumen Gentium, III para. 18).

1. God, the Father: He claims he is "The Holy Father". This is the unique name of God the Father.

John 17:11 "And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are." — ‘Thine own name!’ It is God's name alone - it cannot belong to anyone else.

Matthew 23:9 "And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven."

2. God, the Son: He claims he is "The Head of the Church". This title belongs to Christ alone.

Colossians 1:18 "And [Christ] is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence."

Ephesians 5:23 "For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body."

2. God, the Holy Spirit: He claims he is "The Vicar of Christ". This is the office of the Holy Spirit alone.

John 14:26 "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." The Pope even takes the very name of God. The New York Catechism calls the Pope, "the arbiter of the world, the supreme judge of heaven and earth, the judge of all, being judged by no one, God Himself on earth." THE TRINITY OF GOD IS USURPED IN ROMAN CATHOLICISM!

I = INTER-MEDIATION OF CHRIST USURPED!

The Bible states, "There is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time" (1 Timothy 2:5,6).

1. Rome claims that in her masses she can repeat the sacrifice of the cross and change the wafer and wine into the very body and very blood of Christ. She claims that she perpetuates the sacrifice of the cross (Eucharisticum Mysterium, Intro. C, 1). Again, "In the sacrifice of the Mass our Lord is immolated" [killed as a victim] (Ibid, C, 2).

Christ cried on the cross, "It is finished" John 19:30.

Hebrews 9:25,26 "Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself."

Hebrews 10:12 "But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God."

2. Rome has elevated Mary to the place of mediation. John Paul II states that "in Mary is effected the reconciliation of God with humanity" (On Reconciliation and Penance. St. Paul Editions, p. 139).

No Christian can accept "The Cult of the Blessed Virgin" (Vatican II, Lumen Gentium, VIII para. 66). It is idolatrous and an insult to our Lord Jesus Christ.
THE INTER-MEDIATION OF CHRIST IS USURPED BY ROMAN CATHOLICISM!

A = AUTHORITY OF THE BIBLE USURPED!

The Church of Rome cannot establish her false claims that she alone is the preserver of God’s Word and the maintainer of the Truths of the same. Rome is far from being a believer in the Bible as the sole rule of faith and practice.

Her rejection of the Bible as the sole rule of faith and practice has been brought about by the many additions she has made to Holy Scripture.

The command and warning of God is crystal clear that the Bible must not be added to.

Deuteronomy 4:2 "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you."

Deuteronomy 12:32 "What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it."

Proverbs 30:6 "Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar."

Jeremiah 23:28 "He that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully."

Revelation 22:18 "If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book."

Now the Church of Rome has been found out to be a liar and has had added to it the plagues of the Apocalypse – as God stated in Proverbs 30:6 and Revelation 22:18 – by adding to God’s Word.

1. Rome adds to God’s Word by adding more books to the Canonical Scriptures, known as the Apocryphal Books. These books were never received by the Jewish Church (Romans 3:2); they were never quoted by Christ; they were rejected by the Christian Fathers; and they are self-evidently not inspired. The writer apologises for defects (2 Maccabees 15:39) and one seemingly commands suicide. They are no part of Holy Scripture; yet, they were added into the Canon by the Church of Rome to make up Rome’s Bible.

2. Rome also adds to the Bible apostolic and ecclesiastical traditions. Oral tradition evolved into written tradition and the unreliability of oral tradition is exposed in John 21:22,23.

3. Rome also adds that the interpretation of Scripture must have the "unanimous consent of the fathers". Alas the fathers were far from being unanimous. They contradicted themselves and rarely consented. In fact, strange to relate Gregory the Great Bishop of Rome stated that the Bishop who claimed to be the Universal Bishop is the forerunner of the Antichrist (Gregory Reqisto. Epist. 1.b. v11. Ind. Is epis 33 ed Benet Domisitos).
Christ warned against tradition and stated, "Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition? Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men" (Matthew 15:3,6,9).

Rome stands out as a self-exposed liar and as the target of the judgments of Almighty God by her deliberate adding to the Holy Scriptures of Truth.

At the end of the 19th century Rome added on to the Scripture the infallibility of the Pope having for years said that the doctrine of the infallibility of the Pope was a "Protestant falsehood" (see Papal Catechism). THE AUTHORITY OF THE BIBLE IS USURPED BY ROMAN CATHOLICISM!

R = REMISSION OF SINS USURPED!

John Paul II states "It would be foolish and presumptuous … to claim to receive forgiveness while doing without the sacrament" of penance (On Reconciliation and Penance p.115).

He further insists that the individual confession to a priest to receive absolution from him "constitutes the only ordinary way in which the faithful who are conscious of serious sin are reconciled to God" (Ibid, p.132).

The Bible shows us that the way to true remission of sins is clearly contrary to that of the way of Popes, earthly priests, absolutions, and penances:

Ezra 10:11 "Make confession unto the Lord God."

Psalm 32:5 "I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin."

Matthew 11:28 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

The Lord Jesus never put any earthly priest or Pope between Himself and the sinner. THE REMISSION OF SINS IS USURPED BY ROMAN CATHOLICISM!

A = ASSURANCE OF SALVATION USURPED!

Rome has put her curse on the Bible way of salvation. "If any man says that it is by the righteousness of Christ itself that men are formally justified – let him be accursed" (Council of Trent, Session 6, Canon 10).

"Sins must be expiated. This must be done in this earth through the sorrows, miseries, and trials of this life and above all through death. Otherwise the expiation must be made in the next life through fire and torments of purifying punishments" (Indulgentiarum Doctrina, I para. 2).

Rome thereby removes all assurances a sinner may hope to receive of their eternal salvation. However, the Bible paints for us a very different picture in which "the vilest offender who truly believes, that moment from Jesus a pardon receives."

1 Corinthians 1:30 "Jesus Christ is made unto us … righteousness."

Romans 5:18 "By the obedience of one (Our Lord Himself) shall many be made righteous."

1 John 1:7 "The blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."

Purgatory is not found in the Bible. There is no future wrath for justified sinners.

Romans 5:9 "Being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him."

You can be saved now and have full assurance of faith in the certainty that you know you have eternal life. You require no priest but Christ alone (Hebrews 4:15). You require no sacrifice but Christ alone (1 John 1:7). You require no mediator but Christ alone (1 Timothy 2:5).

The Pope’s "bad news" points you to Purgatory – a non-existent place! The Lord Jesus Christ’s good news (or gospel) points you to Paradise by simple faith in Himself. Good news indeed!

Remember what Peter said in Acts 4:12 "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Be warned! Rome's Catholicism is not Christian. THE ASSURANCE OF SALVATION IS USURPED BY ROMAN CATHOLICISM!

Source (http://www.ianpaisley.org/tiara.asp)

Electronic God-Man
03-22-2009, 02:26 AM
Were I not pretty much fed up with Christianity I may have converted to some Protestant sect. (Do you convert to Protestantism? I mean, is there a process?)

The thing to understand is that Catholicism is still running a very political system (as opposed to something more strictly spiritual) today as it did centuries ago, albeit without nearly the same political clout. Many of these rules and regulations that the Protestants have trouble with were developed to control European states, not necessarily individuals. Rome wanted nations to look to it for leadership.

(On the other hand, Catholicism leaves a bit more room for the old European pagan traditions and I have also liked it in that respect.)

Loki
03-22-2009, 02:35 AM
Do you convert to Protestantism? I mean, is there a process?

Joining a Protestant church is definitely less formal than converting to Catholicism, and less strict. Much depends on which denomination you would join, as there are considerable varieties of Protestant churches.

Most typically, you would be baptised according to the denomination's dogma and tradition.

Gooding
03-22-2009, 02:49 AM
Well, here's my tale. I was raised as a Baptist for 21 years, yet that sole dependence on the Bible with the symbolic interpretation of the Lord's Supper got to me.My family's Catholic side kept calling out to me until I converted to Catholicism in 1995, one year before my Roman Catholic grandmother died.In 2002, the pedophile scandal broke out, so I went over to the Lutherans. In every church I attended, there was politics.The more money one had and the higher up one was in business, the more popular you were. I gave up on Christianity because I flailed hither and yon and yet could find no peace.Then I went to a Buddhist temple, where I was married. That place was extremely political as well. Then my ancestors called out to me.I began speaking to Odin and Thor and I got results. Finally, this year, I joined the Asatru Folk Assembly.Now, my life feels more complete than ever before and I needn't spend an hour or so of my time in a church being reminded how wretched I was( and how poor) once a week.I blot and sumbel to my gods and goddesses whenever I wish and I feel fulfilled.

Psychonaut
03-22-2009, 08:04 AM
I like Catholics. They have more of a sense of tradition than do most of the Protestants where I'm from. The Protestant idea of personal revelation trumping that of the Church set an unhealthy precedent which has led to religion in the West being more of an individual than community matter. If I were, and it'll never happen ;), to become a Christian, you can be sure that it'd be Catholicism I'd turn too.

Electronic God-Man
03-22-2009, 08:25 AM
The Protestant idea of personal revelation trumping that of the Church set an unhealthy precedent which has led to religion in the West being more of an individual than community matter.

Very true and that has been a critique of Protestantism for a long time.

Yet, a few hundred years ago there were certain stripes of Protestantism that were very community-based. Ask the Pilgrims or any Puritan for that matter.

Protestantism, putting reliance on the individual, is all what the individual(s) put into it.

Psychonaut
03-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Very true and that has been a critique of Protestantism for a long time.

Yet, a few hundred years ago there were certain stripes of Protestantism that were very community-based. Ask the Pilgrims or any Puritan for that matter.

Protestantism, putting reliance on the individual, is all what the individual(s) put into it.

For sure, and the Amish and Mennonites are still testaments to the kind of healthy European communities that can be built around Christianity. It's just that these seem to be exceptions rather than the rule. I suppose though, that most peoples critiques of religions are more based on the perceived truthfulness of said religion rather than their social utility. :shrug:

Loki
04-12-2009, 12:48 AM
These Chick Publication tracts (http://www.chick.com/catalog/TractList.asp) are priceless :D

http://www.chick.com/tractimages33107/0071/0071_01.gif

Are Roman Catholics Christians? (http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp)

Electronic God-Man
04-12-2009, 12:58 AM
These Chick Publication tracts (http://www.chick.com/catalog/TractList.asp) are priceless :D

Are Roman Catholics Christians? (http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp)

Yeah, those are great.

This guy actually believes that the Roman Catholic Church is secretly an Isis cult.

Pastor
09-23-2017, 03:41 PM

Roman Catholicism is not Christian? It is the Babylonian Mystery Religion described in the Bible. It is false Christianity with its paying homage to ststues and celebration of clearly pagan holidays. It is not the religion described in the Bible as be the pure worship of Yahweh.

KMack
09-23-2017, 04:27 PM
European Institute of Protestant Studies

A tad bit of a conflict of interest.

Loki
09-23-2017, 04:34 PM
European Institute of Protestant Studies

A tad bit of a conflict of interest.

A lot of truth in that, though. Undeniably.

Loki
09-23-2017, 04:37 PM
The Protestant idea of personal revelation trumping that of the Church set an unhealthy precedent which has led to religion in the West being more of an individual than community matter.

Religion is and should be a personal matter. I'm not following any religion where I just blindly follow what other blokes tell me to do. No thanks.

JohnSmith
09-23-2017, 04:39 PM
I would argue that they are Christians since they do follow the regular gospels. However, I agree that Mormons are not Christians because they actually follow the book of Mormon not the Bible.

KMack
09-23-2017, 04:43 PM
A lot of truth in that, though. Undeniably.

Not a fan of various Christian denominations be critical of others. Focus on your own flock and leave other alone.

JohnSmith
09-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Not a fan of various Christian denominations be critical of others. Focus on your own flock and leave other alone.

LOL, and people thought Mitt Romney was a Christian,, I do not think so!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h09PA1AX9s

Loki
09-23-2017, 04:48 PM

Me too, actually. Know what? Catholics are ones who HUGELY trash talk Protestants all the time.. I mean, they're obsessed with it.

Loki
09-23-2017, 04:49 PM
LOL, and people thought Mitt Romney was a Christian,, I do not think so!!

Mitt Romney... lol. He is VERY far from being a Christian. ;)

JohnSmith
09-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Me too, actually. Know what? Catholics are ones who HUGELY trash talk Protestants all the time.. I mean, they're obsessed with it.

I am a Protestant and have Catholic family among other religions. I do not think there is much issues between the two religions.

Maybe there is a difference in Northern Ireland.

JohnSmith
09-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Mitt Romney... lol. He is VERY far from being a Christian. ;)

He did not know what a donut is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uad9FsvS0mY

Oneeye
09-23-2017, 04:57 PM
Protestants interpret the Bible from their own studying, and many come to conclusions based on what they've read from the modern translations.

But that is still much better than having some middle man tell you what to believe.

Loki
09-23-2017, 04:57 PM
I am a Protestant and have Catholic family among other religions. I do not think there is much issues between the two religions.

Maybe there is a difference in Northern Ireland.

Fingers crossed, things are beginning to improve in Northern Ireland :) It's not like it was 20 years ago. Not at all.

JohnSmith
09-23-2017, 05:01 PM
OUCH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV4MK103SBM

Oneeye
09-23-2017, 05:12 PM
OUCH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV4MK103SBM

Too bad people vote for Catholics.

Melki
09-23-2017, 05:18 PM
This article has been available for some time on the European Institute of Protestant Studies, affiliated with Ian Paisley and his Free Presbyterian Church.

Source (http://www.ianpaisley.org/tiara.asp)

We had this problem in France a long time ago... In 1572 to be more precise. We set the problem in a bloody way. We called it the "St. Bartholomew's Day massacre" . And it's still a national shame.

KMack
09-23-2017, 05:26 PM

Where? In the USA it was always the protestants trashing and discriminating against Catholics. Historically very shameful.

MissMischief
09-23-2017, 05:35 PM
Where? In the USA it was always the protestants trashing and discriminating against Catholics. Historically very shameful.

Word. Anti-Catholicism sentiment has generally cooled today in America, but it remained very strong up through the 1960s, as President John F. Kennedy’s campaign demonstrated.

Oneeye
09-23-2017, 05:43 PM

On here, you can see many threads with the Catholics bashing protestants, from out of left field.

Discrimination against Catholics in the US is nothing in comparison to the violence of the reformation.

B01AB20
09-23-2017, 05:44 PM
I'm an agnostic since I was a child and christianity is a childish fairy tale for me, but for what I've seen here in Spain the protestants, evangelics and jehovah's witness mostly, are even more silly/absurd than catholics, and that's a lot.

MissMischief
09-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Protestants interpret the Bible from their own studying, and many come to conclusions based on what they've read from the modern translations.

But that is still much better than having some middle man tell you what to believe.

At least, priests have a degree in religious studies (as well as some form of theological training) and work for an established church. Pastors download a certificate online, file with the IRS for tax exemption, then construct a massive mega church using Republican party funds so they can manipulate people and get rich.

Also, that's a bit funny coming from someone that was raised in the Seventh-day Adventist church, which is basically a non-Christian cult system :p

Oneeye
09-23-2017, 06:25 PM
At least, priests have a degree in religious studies (as well as some form of theological training) and work for an established church. Pastors download a certificate online, file with the IRS for tax exemption, then construct a massive mega church using Republican party funds so they can manipulate people and get rich.

Also, that's a bit funny coming from someone that was raised is in the Seventh-day Adventist church, which is basically a non-Christian cult system :p

Nonsense, Seventh Day Adventists are a branch off of Baptists. They believe in Sola fide, adhere to the ten commandments, believe that baptism is a choice oneself must make, follow Christ's teachings, and consider the words of God to be of the most significance.

Of course, Catholics consider all branches of protestantism to be heretics anyways. It shows in your contempt for protestant theological studies. (Also odd that you think that mega churches are the norm.)

Anyways, SOLA FIDE. It is through Christ alone, that lies salvation.

JohnSmith
09-23-2017, 06:26 PM
Nonsense, Seventh Day Adventists are a branch off of Baptists. They believe in Sola fide, adhere to the ten commandments, believr that baptism is a choice pneself must make, follow Christ's teachings, and consider the words of God to be of the most signicifance.

Of course, Catholics consider all branches of protestantism to be heretics anyways. It shows in your contempt for protestant theological studies. (Also odd that you think that mega churches are the norm.)

If they believe the basic gospels they are Christians.

MissMischief
09-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Nonsense, Seventh Day Adventists are a branch off of Baptists. They believe in Sola fide, adhere to the ten commandments, believe that baptism is a choice oneself must make, follow Christ's teachings, and consider the words of God to be of the most significance.

Nope. Actually, it was Protestants who, throughout the early 20th century, considered Adventism a sect to avoid because of its heretical viewpoints. Many classed Adventists with Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, and Christian Scientists as being sub-Christian. Because of its adherence to teachings as the Sabbath, the non-immortality of the soul, the investigative judgment, and the prophetic gift in the life and work of Ellen G. White, the Adventist Church, since its origin, was often viewed as a "cult" by other Christians :p

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines a cult in this way:

…"a small religious group that is not part of a larger and more accepted religion and that has beliefs regarded by many people as extreme or dangerous."

According to this definition, the Seventh Day Adventist Church qualifies as a cult. While they call themselves Christian (and probably many who attend Adventist churches are, in fact, believers in Jesus Christ), the organization itself professes unbiblical and harmful doctrines and beliefs outside the mainstream of orthodox Christianity.

Their movement originated in 1836 with William Miller (1782-1849), a false prophet who claimed to know that the second coming of Christ would happen in 1843. When this prediction proved false, many left the movement in a period called “The Great Disappointment.” Given this man’s obvious fraud, we might assume his followers would abandon him quickly since he failed the basic biblical test for the office of prophet.

But as Jesus predicted and Peter repeated:

Matt. 24:11 “Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many.

2Pet. 2:1 But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.

Though these circumstances should have put an end to this movement, Adventism continued. After his death, Miller's followers took to calling themselves “Adventists,” referring to their anticipation for the second appearing of Christ.

In response to Miller’s false prediction, Adventists contrived an explanation for Jesus’ failure to appear in 1843. The church proposed that Jesus was unable to return because He was engaged in an "Investigative Judgment" process of examining all who dwell on the earth to determine who has repented sufficiently to receive the benefit of His atonement. Only after His investigation was complete would Jesus return to the earth, Adventists claimed.

Not only is the Adventist doctrine of Investigative Judgment unsupported by scripture, it is contrary to scripture.

First, Jesus is omniscient, so He always knows the state of every human heart in all history at every moment, so He needs no time to accomplish such a work (see John 2:25).

Secondly, the Bible says that the repentance that leads to salvation is a gift from God, not a work of man. As we read in several places, including:

Acts 11:17 “Therefore if God gave to them the same gift as He gave to us also after believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God’s way?”
Acts 11:18 When they heard this, they quieted down and glorified God, saying, “Well then, God has granted to the Gentiles also the repentance that leads to life.”

2Cor. 7:9 I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us.
2Cor. 7:10 For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death.

The work of bringing repentance unto salvation is one "granted" us by "the will of God," scripture teaches. Therefore, it is nonsensical to suggest Jesus is tarrying while He "inspects" hearts on earth to learn who has sufficiently repented. Jesus doesn't need to undertake such an inspection since Jesus Himself is the Author and Perfector of our faith, including granting us repentance as He chooses.

Christ is not delaying because He is investigating hearts. In fact, Christ is not delaying at all (see 2Peter 3:9). The Bible says plainly that the specific timing of Christ's return will always be unknowable by any human being, because the timing of His return is entirely dependent on the Father's will, as Jesus says:

Matt. 24:36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.
Matt. 24:37 “For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah.

When the time appointed by the Father arrives, Jesus will return and not a moment sooner nor later. Therefore, William Miller's prediction of a return in 1843 was nothing more than a false claim by a false prophet, and the Adventists invention of the doctrine of Investigative Judgment was an attempt to cover up Miller's error with still more lies.

Consequently, the Adventist's core doctrine of Investigative Judgment, upon which the church was founded and from which the church gets its very name, is a false teaching. More importantly, it leads to a false Gospel since it implies a works requirement to be saved. If men must do sufficient repentance in order to obtain Christ's atonement, then men would be required to accomplish a work to be saved.

Later, the Adventist church recognized another so-called prophet, Ellen White, who claimed to receive "visions" and who the church believed spoke for God (despite the Bible’s teaching that no new revelation will come after the canon of scripture closed).

Under the influence of these (likely demonic) visions, White and others in the church invented new, unbiblical concepts of life after death, including the notion that the dead enter a period of soul sleep, where they know nothing. They also taught that no hell exists and that the wicked merely cease to exist at the end of time. Each of these beliefs contradicts the clear teaching of scripture.

Perhaps the Seventh-Day Adventists are best known for their distorted view of the Bible's teaching on Sabbath. The Bible teaches that faith in Christ is the fulfillment of our Sabbath rest requirement, yet Adventists maintain that Christians must return to observing a literal sabbath day rest on Saturday, which is the Sabbath day for Jews under the Law of Moses. Therefore, the second part of the church's name (i.e., Seventh-Day) is also rooted in a false teaching.

The Adventists promote other unbiblical and legalistic requirements for their followers, including abstaining from pork and certain other restrictions found in the Levitical Law given to Israel. All of these practices are unnecessary for the New Testament believer, and harmful to our Christian liberty, which Paul calls our "prize" in Colossians:

Col. 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day —
Col. 2:17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.
Col. 2:18 Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind,
Col. 2:19 and not holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.
Col. 2:20 If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as,
Col. 2:21 “Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!”
Col. 2:22 (which all refer to things destined to perish with use) — in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men?
Col. 2:23 These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.

The Seventh-Day Adventist teachings concerning living under the Law of Moses are an attempt to reinstitute (selectively) a lifestyle of law-keeping as part of their works-based Gospel, despite the Bible’s clear teaching that the New Testament believer is not bound to keep the Law of Moses.

In summary, the church's fraudulent beginnings, false doctrines, legalistic requirements and restrictive governing practices lead to the conclusion that the Adventist religion is not orthodox Christianity. It operates as a cult-like organization founded on the teaching of false prophets and holds to views contrary to the plain teaching of scripture.

Though the Seventh-Day Adventist church may count many true Christians among its ranks, those believers have been deceived and are being mistaught concerning the Bible, salvation, eternity and the Christian life. Therefore, we strongly recommend any believer caught up in Adventism to flee this false church and seek for true Christian fellowship elsewhere, preferably in a church that holds to orthodox, biblical truth.

Finally, it's no coincidence that Adventism was founded at about the same time in history and in the same place as three other false churches with similar distorted teaching: Mormonism, Christian Science, and Jehovah’s Witnesses. This pattern suggests that Satan was at work at one time to establish these false churches in an effort to confuse and mislead new believers during the Great Awakening period of North American Christianity. Together, these four false religions continue to deceive many today.

Bobby Martnen
09-08-2018, 06:40 PM
Word. Anti-Catholicism sentiment has generally cooled today in America, but it remained very strong up through the 1960s, as President John F. Kennedy’s campaign demonstrated.

It's less overt than it used to be, but most Protestants and Catholics tolerate, rather than actually like, each other.

Bobby Martnen
09-08-2018, 06:42 PM

Also, that's a bit funny coming from someone that was raised in the Seventh-day Adventist church, which is basically a non-Christian cult system :p

This is not true of all Protestant clergy, or even most. It's just a stereotype.

At least Protestant clergy don't molest children all the time.

Loki
09-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Nope. Actually, it was Protestants who, throughout the early 20th century, considered Adventism a sect to avoid because of its heretical viewpoints. Many classed Adventists with Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, and Christian Scientists as being sub-Christian. Because of its adherence to teachings as the Sabbath, the non-immortality of the soul, the investigative judgment, and the prophetic gift in the life and work of Ellen G. White, the Adventist Church, since its origin, was often viewed as a "cult" by other Christians :p

Right... correct! Seventh Day Adventists are NOT Protestants... they are a sect like Jehovah's Witnesses. They may be anti-Catholic to the extreme, but that doesn't make them Protestants. They teach a very different Gospel from mainstream Christianity. I would say Protestants and Catholics are both closer to each other, than any one of the two are to SDA's.

Bobby Martnen
09-08-2018, 10:11 PM
Right... correct! Seventh Day Adventists are NOT Protestants... they are a sect like Jehovah's Witnesses. They may be anti-Catholic to the extreme, but that doesn't make them Protestants. They teach a very different Gospel from mainstream Christianity. I would say Protestants and Catholics are both closer to each other, than any one of the two are to SDA's.

SDA's are somewhat Protestant in terms of cultural practices, but in terms of beliefs they are very different.

German Catholics and German Protestants are closer culturally than either is to Eastern Orthodox Christians, but Catholics and Orthodoxes have more in common with each other theologically than either does with Protestants.

Ruggery
09-08-2018, 10:18 PM
SDA's are somewhat Protestant in terms of cultural practices, but in terms of beliefs they are very different.

German Catholics and German Protestants are closer culturally than either is to Eastern Orthodox Christians, but Catholics and Orthodoxes have more in common with each other theologically than either does with Protestants.

Practically the Orthodox Patriarch is almost like the Catholic Pope.