PDA

View Full Version : Please classify my father and I!

ronniexo
08-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Hello! I am brand new to this forum and I was wondering if you guys could help me classify myself and my father and what country do we look like we're from? I have always been questioned about my race/ethnicity and I would love to see what you guys think. Thanks in advance! :)

(P.S., sorry about the glamour shot...it was a wedding shoot and it's the only good face pic I have at the moment.)

GeistFaust
08-22-2011, 09:28 PM
You look like a North Atlantid + Alpinoid/Cro Magnon admixture I could see you have British Isles ancestry maybe with some Continental ancestry but far more British Isles ancestry.
Your father looks like a Nordmediterranid + Brunn admixture reminds me of a French/Irish guy I know.

ronniexo
08-22-2011, 09:34 PM
You look like a North Atlantid + Alpinoid/Cro Magnon admixture I could see you have British Isles ancestry maybe with some Continental ancestry but far more British Isles ancestry.
Your father looks like a North Atlantid + Brunn admixture reminds me of a French/Irish guy I know.

Wow, very interesting and helpful! I've gotten British and French a lot in the past. Thanks. Both of my parents were actually born in Portugal (more specifically in the Azores).

GeistFaust
08-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Being Born there does necessitate that they were Portuguese though most likely though they were not saying I could not see you in Portugal just you would look a little atypical for me.

ronniexo
08-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm looking into getting a dna test done. I really want to know my ancestry, because like you said, I don't look like the typical Portuguese person.

GeistFaust
08-22-2011, 09:51 PM
I could see your father coming from Northern Portugal or Spain possibly maybe France or the British Isles and you could have Portuguese Ancestry you don't look that exotic come to think of it just to me you look more French or British Isles.

Amapola
08-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Hi ronniexo, what is your hair real colour? Do you have more natural (no make up) pics?

About looking Portuguese, I don't think I could tell from these pics, but you sure must know if your ancestors surnames were only Portuguese or from others places too?

When I went abroad people were always amazed that I was Spanish, and I certainly have very Iberian features in my opinion. Many people, following the stereotype, expected a gypsy looking woman wearing red. I even was asked "how can your skin be so white", and it's certainly not very pale!...

Anthropologique
08-22-2011, 09:54 PM
I would say you are N. Atlantid + Alpine.

Anthropologique
08-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Wow, very interesting and helpful! I've gotten British and French a lot in the past. Thanks. Both of my parents were actually born in Portugal (more specifically in the Azores).

You are typical Atlantic Facade, a type that can be found from Portugal to Denmark. BTW, do you have any Flemish heritage? The Azores experienced substantial Flemish immigration beginning in the late 1400s.

Anthropologique
08-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Hi ronniexo, what is your hair real colour? Do you have more natural (no make up) pics?

About looking Portuguese, I don't think I could tell from these pics, but you sure must know if your ancestors surnames were only Portuguese or from others places too?

When I went abroad people were always amazed that I was Spanish, and I certainly have very Iberian features in my opinion. Many people, following the stereotype, expected a gypsy looking woman wearing red. I even was asked "how can your skin be so white", and it's certainly not very pale!...

Amazing the level of ignorance in the world. :rolleyes2:

Megrez
08-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Are you really blond?

And I disagree, you look very Portuguese, specially the Azorean sort (it seems the Azoreans are lighter than Portugal's average). I base my argument on personal observation - take a walk in southern Brazil and you'll see many women with Portuguese surnames who look like you.

Anthropologique
08-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm looking into getting a dna test done. I really want to know my ancestry, because like you said, I don't look like the typical Portuguese person.

Your phenotype is not uncommon in Portugal (particularly the mainland). It's just a little more common in places like Britain. Some people have strange notions of what someone is SUPPOSED to look like.

Raskolnikov
08-22-2011, 10:05 PM
You look exactly like Americans of Azores ancestry I know. Some of that group was very dark, darker than I've ever seen Europeans, and the rest looked like this.

Anthropologique
08-22-2011, 10:11 PM
You look exactly like Americans of Azores ancestry I know. Some of that group was very dark, darker than I've ever seen Europeans, and the rest looked like this.

The Azores have a rather interesting history and there is some diversity there. The islands were often invaded by pirates from North Africa and there was also a slave population present for a time. Some Azoreans are not typical of the indigenous Portuguese that you find in mainland Portugal.

ronniexo
08-22-2011, 10:11 PM
@Fresa Salvaje:

My natural hair color is a chestnut brown (golden with red undertones). Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of me without makeup on at the moment :/

My surname is Portuguese, for sure (Medeiros).

Crazy that people would think that! People always assume that all Spanish people look like Antonio Banderas or Penelope Cruz, and that's definitely not the case. Don't worry, I've had a couple of people in real life tell me that I look Mexican, or Mestizo (which I do not see AT ALL!!).

@Anthropologique

I am aware of the Flemish infulences in the Azores, but to tell you the truth, I don't know much about my heritage besides where my parents were born and my surname. That's why I am really looking into getting my DNA tested. I am so curious!

GeistFaust
08-22-2011, 10:13 PM
I can now see you are admixed with Portuguese or Spanish but I would not doubt if you had Flemish ancestry either.

Anthropologique
08-22-2011, 10:13 PM
@Fresa Salvaje:

My natural hair color is a chestnut brown (golden with red undertones). Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of me without makeup on at the moment :/

My surname is Portuguese, for sure (Medeiros).

Crazy that people would think that! People always assume that all Spanish people look like Antonio Banderas or Penelope Cruz, and that's definitely not the case. Don't worry, I've had a couple of people in real life tell me that I look Mexican, or Mestizo (which I do not see AT ALL!!).

@Anthropologique

I am aware of the Flemish infulences in the Azores, but to tell you the truth, I don't know much about my heritage besides where my parents were born and my surname. That's why I am really looking into getting my DNA tested. I am so curious!

The world is full of idiots, especially in parts of the U.S.

ronniexo
08-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Are you really blond?

And I disagree, you look very Portuguese, specially the Azorean sort (it seems the Azoreans are lighter than Portugal's average). I base my argument on personal observation - take a walk in southern Brazil and you'll see many women with Portuguese surnames who look like you.

No, I wish I were a natural blonde, lol.

I know that Portuguese people comes in all shapes, sizes and colors, I'm just going off of what I've been told. I have family in Fall River, MA where there is a huge population of Azoreans and I've noticed that a lot tend to have similar features. I wonder if it's the Flemish influence?

Anthropologique
08-22-2011, 10:17 PM
I can now see you are admixed with Portuguese or Spanish but I would not doubt if you had Flemish ancestry either.

She's a typical Atlantid. Where do you specifically see Portuguese or Spanish? Both populations have primarily Atlantic phenotypes anyway.

Alvarado
08-22-2011, 10:17 PM

Keep in mind that many people have a distorted notion of Portugal.

ronniexo
08-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Keep in mind that many people have a distorted notion of Portugal.

Very true.

GeistFaust
08-22-2011, 10:25 PM
I am just saying I know some Portuguese and Spanish people from the Northern parts of their respective country I still think she could fit into France or even the British Isles.

Rosenrot
08-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Alpo+Atlantid =]

Damiăo de Góis
08-23-2011, 03:36 PM

Óptimo :)
Falas portuguęs?

Are you really blond?

lol... i really doubt that. :rolleyes:

ronniexo
08-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Sadly, I don't speak it :(
Really wish I did though!

Contra Mundum
08-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Hello! I am brand new to this forum and I was wondering if you guys could help me classify myself and my father and what country do we look like we're from? I have always been questioned about my race/ethnicity and I would love to see what you guys think. Thanks in advance! :)

(P.S., sorry about the glamour shot...it was a wedding shoot and it's the only good face pic I have at the moment.)

You're a hot babe.

Damiăo de Góis
08-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Sadly, I don't speak it :(
Really wish I did though!

With both parents born in Portugal? That's a bit sad indeed.

About you, i think you have an American look based on the pics. I believe that if you had been born and raised here you would look like any other portuguese girl. You would have another "fashion style", etc... if you know what i mean. :p

In any case, people abroad do have a distorted view of Portugal. They tend to think of us as dark skinned spaniards or something like that.
Even in this forum, last time i posted a pic i got a couple of rep comments saying i "looked british". In real life however, no one from Portugal has ever told me i "looked british". I think that tells you something. ;)

Lábaru
08-24-2011, 12:40 AM
I am just saying I know some Portuguese and Spanish people from the Northern parts of their respective country I still think she could fit into France or even the British Isles.

Indeed, northern Portugal is very different to the south of Portugal, things change in a couple of hundred miles :thumb001:

P.S is irony.

Ibericus
08-24-2011, 01:59 AM
hmm.. you wouldn'st stick out here in Spain.

Sikeliot
08-25-2011, 07:36 AM
I would have guessed Dutch for your dad, French for you. But there are many Portuguese Americans here of your look :)

johngaunt
08-25-2011, 09:26 AM
You have a non-specific pan western european phenotype in my opinion. To me you look quite French, but you could also ofcourse be Iberian or even pass native my homeland of Australia as an Isles influenced individual.

Ive only met two portugese people, but they did look quite different, I dont know how common they were but they were very dark - darker than Spaniards Ive met, but again two people is an unrepresentative sample. Just shows how by meeting one or two people it can give you a skewed opinion of what one ethnic group looks like.

Anyway, I tried to imagine you with natural brown hair, and I thought French straight away :)

ronniexo
08-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Very true, Johnguant! My father once told me that we have some French ancestry on his side, I definitely wouldn't be surprised...especially after reading these responses. Does anyone know of any affordable DNA testing? I get curiouser and curiouser each day!

Sikeliot
08-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Very true, Johnguant! My father once told me that we have some French ancestry on his side, I definitely wouldn't be surprised...especially after reading these responses. Does anyone know of any affordable DNA testing? I get curiouser and curiouser each day!

Do you have surnames like Bettencourt, Goulart, Dumont on your dad's side? Those are usually a sign of Belgian ancestry in Azoreans not French proper.

ronniexo
08-25-2011, 06:43 PM
I don't know very much about our family history to be honest, and neither do my parents. My immediate surname is Medeiros, but other names I know about are Boa Nova and Da Costa (father), and Oliveira (mother). I've tried to research before tons of times, but like I said, I don't have much information beyond my grandparents names :/

Anthropologique
08-25-2011, 06:58 PM
You have a non-specific pan western european phenotype in my opinion. To me you look quite French, but you could also ofcourse be Iberian or even pass native my homeland of Australia as an Isles influenced individual.

Ive only met two portugese people, but they did look quite different, I dont know how common they were but they were very dark - darker than Spaniards Ive met, but again two people is an unrepresentative sample. Just shows how by meeting one or two people it can give you a skewed opinion of what one ethnic group looks like.

Anyway, I tried to imagine you with natural brown hair, and I thought French straight away :)

Were they fully Portuguese? Additionally, I've noticed that there are minor percentages of Azoreans and people from Madeira who would stand out as atypical in mainland Portugal.

Typical Portuguese look like the crowds shown below:

Damiăo de Góis
08-25-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't know very much about our family history to be honest, and neither do my parents. My immediate surname is Medeiros, but other names I know about are Boa Nova and Da Costa (father), and Oliveira (mother). I've tried to research before tons of times, but like I said, I don't have much information beyond my grandparents names :/

Boa Nova is interesting, i never saw it before. The other three are common enough. May i ask what islands are your parents from, just out of curiosity?

Hess
08-25-2011, 07:03 PM
you don't look very portuguese to me. I suppose you must be one of those Celtic looking Iberians

Anthropologique
08-25-2011, 07:06 PM
you don't look very portuguese to me. I suppose you must be one of those Celtic looking Iberians

Celtic is not considered a racial category. It has to do with culture, primarily.

A good number of Portuguese and Spaniards have what is sometimes called a Celtic look. It's really more of an Atlantic fringe phenotype.

Hess
08-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Celtic is not considered a racial category. It has to do with culture, primarily.

well, what i meant was that there are some Iberians who have a very British look and that she is one of them.

Anthropologique
08-25-2011, 07:11 PM
well, what i meant was that there are some Iberians who have a very British look and that she is one of them.

Please read my revised post above. It's an Atlantic look that is not uncommon throughout Iberia. Ask some of our members who are native Portuguese or Spanish.

Sikeliot
08-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah it's not like there are "Celtic" looking Portuguese vs. "regular" Portuguese. I think the girl and her father are common types at least among the diaspora.

ronniexo
08-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Boa Nova is interesting, i never saw it before. The other three are common enough. May i ask what islands are your parents from, just out of curiosity?

They are from Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel :)

Anthropologique
08-25-2011, 07:16 PM
They are from Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel :)

According to what I've read, that island had some Flemish and (possibly) Burgundian immigration.

Damiăo de Góis
08-25-2011, 07:23 PM
According to what I've read, both those islands had some Flemish and (possibly) Burgundian immigration.

None of her surnames suggests flemish ancestry, like some azorean surnames such as Brum (Van Der Bruym) or Silveira (van der Haghe).

http://abemdanacao.blogs.sapo.pt/331296.html

A guy called Brum went to college with me by the way. He was azorean indeed, but nothing in his appearance suggested foreign ancestry.

Sikeliot
08-25-2011, 07:25 PM
None of her surnames suggests flemish ancestry, like some azorean surnames such as Brum (Van Der Bruym) or Silveira (van der Haghe).

or Goulart and Bettencourt.

Sikeliot
08-25-2011, 07:30 PM
I also know an Azorean with the name Dumont.

ronniexo
08-25-2011, 07:47 PM
A lot of the time surnames don't tell us much though, if you catch my drift. People would often change names, alter spellings, people could've been adopted, you never really know. I will ask my cousins of any other surnames they might know of. I actually do believe we have a few Bettencourts in the family..

Sikeliot
08-25-2011, 07:48 PM
I actually do believe we have a few Bettencourts in the family..

That must be the French that your family was mentioning. :) I've also seen the name spelled as Bittencourt.

Alvarado
08-25-2011, 10:47 PM

Don't be fooled by these "nord-celtic" classifications, you don't look so exotic.

Ibericus
08-25-2011, 10:53 PM
What is this supposed to mean ? Anyways, here the are plenty of girls with a similar phenotype of her, not uncommon.

ronniexo
08-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Don't be fooled by these "nord-celtic" classifications, you don't look so exotic.

Funny you say that, because in real life, I have people tell me I look exotic! Weird. But then again, everyone has their own definition of exotic anyway :)

Alvarado
08-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Funny you say that, because in real life, I have people tell me I look exotic! Weird. But then again, everyone has their own definition of exotic anyway :)

I mean exotic from the point of view of a Spaniard. Perhaps you look very exotic in America, but not here.

ronniexo
08-26-2011, 12:16 AM
I mean exotic from the point of view of a Spaniard. Perhaps you look very exotic in America, but not here.

I understand :)

Anthropologique
08-26-2011, 03:03 PM

You are not exotic at all. You look like a standard Western Euro.

ronniexo
08-26-2011, 05:13 PM
You are not exotic at all. You look like a standard Western Euro.

Very well, then! Thanks again to everyone for their input :)

Hess
08-26-2011, 05:27 PM
I would say you have a pan western-central European look. You also wouldn't stick out that much in most of Northern and Eastern Europe either.

Absinthe
08-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Quite a pan-European look you have, you could almost fit anywhere in Europe ;)

Atlantic Islander
04-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Both you and your father would not stand out in the Azores or the mainland for that matter. You look quite typical regardless of what some people have said :)