PDA

View Full Version : What Names Are You Drawn To?

InfamousAngel99
04-07-2020, 06:05 PM
This might sound like an odd question, but let me explain what I mean.
As a writer and a gamer, there are names that I'm drawn to/like to use for my characters. Although I use a variety of names, I found it fascinating when I noticed that a lot of the names I like to use are from certain cultures and languages.

Most of the first names I like are of a Greek or Slavic origin, but I lean more towards Greek names. There are other names from other cultures and languages that I like, but those are two of the most common.

How about you guys?

Edit: Since you guys are listing specific names, I'll list some of the names I like (some don't fit in the categories I listed above):

- Alexios
- Aurora
- Constantine
- Delphine
- Ignatius
- Katica (I'm biased on this one, this was my 2nd great-grandmother's name).
- Demetrius
- Hadriana
- Velimir (biased, my great-grandfather's name)

Oneeye
04-07-2020, 06:09 PM
French.

My newborn son's name is Gaston. When he's a lad we'll feed him four dozen eggs every morning to help him get large.

Celestia
04-07-2020, 06:13 PM
I really like the name Emilia.
I guess cause it’s classy and elegant

Oneeye
04-07-2020, 06:14 PM
I really like the name Emilia.
I guess cause it’s classy and elegant

So nice, you'll use it twice

Celestia
04-07-2020, 06:16 PM
So nice, you'll use it twice

Hahah damn connection :rolleyes:

TheMaestro
04-07-2020, 06:17 PM
Yep, I tend to use movie character names.

Daco Celtic
04-07-2020, 06:18 PM
Kianna, never have seen an ugly Kiana/Kianna

InfamousAngel99
04-07-2020, 06:20 PM
French.

My newborn son's name is Gaston. When he's a lad we'll feed him four dozen eggs every morning to help him get large.

O.M.G. The last part got me xD
But in all seriousness, Gaston is a cute name. Congrats

MissMischief
04-07-2020, 06:25 PM
Lately, I'd say Spanish. :laugh:

Rgvgjhvv
04-07-2020, 06:26 PM
Korean

IrisSelene
04-07-2020, 06:47 PM
I've always been drawn to longer names that contain K, S, R, N, X mostly. So, naturally i prefer Greek names or even Greek spellings on more common names. Tho I very much prefer VERY much uncommon names.

I hate super common names, like everyone around me is Maria, Adrian, Alex, etc. Fuckin boring. So my main 2 names on my list for future kids are Helios (i o0nly met one guy with this name in my high school and i was fascinated also bc i love greek mythology) and Selene, not Selena, Selene haha bc the moon Goddess. I love mythology names too much.

But also names like Kallisto, Kallypso, I adore how they look and sound.

And apart from Greek names, I also like quite a handful of Japanese names, like Daiki.

And most names that have X in them sound so cool and badass to me. This is very typical but I love the name Xena.

Though I do also like some more princess like names such as Eleanor.

And I love many non european very native names but I know I would get shit for "appropiating" them so whatever LOL

MissMischief
04-07-2020, 07:05 PM
I've always been drawn to longer names that contain K, S, R, N, X mostly. So, naturally i prefer Greek names or even Greek spellings on more common names. Tho I very much prefer VERY much uncommon names.

I hate super common names, like everyone around me is Maria, Adrian, Alex, etc. Fuckin boring. So my main 2 names on my list for future kids are Helios (i o0nly met one guy with this name in my high school and i was fascinated also bc i love greek mythology) and Selene, not Selena, Selene haha bc the moon Goddess. I love mythology names too much.

And apart from Greek names, I also like quite a handful of Japanese names, like Daiki.

And most names that have X in them sound so cool and badass to me. This is very typical but I love the name Xena.

And I love many non european very native names but I know I would get shit for "appropiating" them so whatever LOL

Noooooo, Álex is so cute. :cool:

IrisSelene
04-07-2020, 07:41 PM
Noooooo, Álex is so cute. :cool:

I find it extremely boring and I'm tired of having 5 people with the same name in one room lol

I mean yall can do whatever you want but I would want my kids to feel more special rather than just more maria and alex... And personally, even my friends named Maria hate how common their name is and wish they had more uncommon names.

The Blade
04-07-2020, 07:45 PM
Always thought Adriana is a great name for a female. Gabriella, too.

Kivan
04-07-2020, 07:50 PM
I use name of friends and relatives on video-game characters :lol:

In online forums/communities, i use name of famous people, name of game NPCs or something random.

Teutone
04-07-2020, 07:56 PM
HeinrichPimmler1488

PAGANE
04-07-2020, 08:07 PM
I am attracted to the double names, but also thes for a woman - Albena, Mina, Boryana, Miglena, Rumina
for a man-Boris, Rumen, Vladimir, Krum, Presian

InfamousAngel99
04-08-2020, 12:57 AM

I love the name Helios as well. It's a very cool name. We have a very similar taste in names.
AND YES, I think the same thing about non-European names. That's one of the main reasons I didn't bring any up in my original post. I think it's stupid as hell for people to say that using a name from another culture is "appropriation." If that's the case, people of every race all across the world are appropriating various cultures.

Anyways, as for boring, overused names, I despise the name Sarah. People say "plain Jane," but I think Jane is even prettier than Sarah, and I'm not a huge fan of that name either. It doesn't help that almost every Sarah I've ever met is boring, too.

joanna_38
04-08-2020, 01:00 AM
Italian & French. But mostly Italian. The fact that sometimes their names have a double "c" or "t" makes it look really symmetrical.

itilvolga
04-08-2020, 01:41 AM
There are many beautiful names in different languages that I like but my favourites from my own language are: İdil, Beril, Tuna and Aksel.

JamesBond007
04-08-2020, 01:59 AM
I generally don't care as long as the bitch is not named Heidi, Helga, or Brunhilda or something.

PaleoEuropean
04-08-2020, 02:24 AM
Biblical names mostly

Daco Celtic
04-08-2020, 03:00 AM
I've always been drawn to the name Charlize Theron. Not sure why.

Ymyyakhtakh
04-08-2020, 03:03 AM
Names that sound like traditional Finnish names. Many of them are 5 letters long and have the structure CVVCV or CVCCV.

For example in a CSV file for data about Finnish Facebook users I made, these were the 10 most common feminine given names: Laura, Jenni, Johanna, Heidi, Hanna, Sanna, Elina, Minna, Jenna, and Tiina. All except one are 5 letters long, and all except 2 have the structure CVVCV or CVCCV.

Names that people started making up in the 10s and 00s are ugly because they're associated with ugly cultural layers.

I think languages like Finnish that have simple syllable structure and a small inventory of phonemes sound more clean. Hawaiian names also sound pretty (https://www.babynames.net/girl/hawaiian):

Haukea - snow white
Haunani - snow beauty
Hokulani - divine star
Leinani - gorgeous child
Lokelani - divine rose
Luana - happiness, pleasure
Mahealani - divine mist
Nalani - quiet skies

Joso
04-08-2020, 03:16 AM
Only erudite names such as "Ymyyakhtakh".
Very delicate, ideal for females.

Daos777
04-08-2020, 04:43 AM
Takkar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wisteria
04-09-2020, 01:31 AM
Oh my...I’m a Sarah. lol. Well I have been called boring before. I don’t really consider anyone boring, though. Of course that is all subjective.

There aren’t any names I hate. It’s more sometimes I dislike a person and their personality can create a bit of a bad association with it. Sometimes if there is someone I really like, their name will grow on me.

But I tend to like flowery names...Iris, Violet, Aster

Classic names like Olivia, Ava, Emma

Boy names are harder for me to find ones I like. I’m drawn to a bunch of girl names, though.

I’m reading the goldfinch right now, and I’ve grown to like the name Boris!!

Mortimer
04-09-2020, 10:45 AM
Irish or English names Bryan Travor Mortimer

Ylla
04-09-2020, 10:51 AM
Luana - happiness, pleasure

It is a beautiful name :) if I have a daughter I will probably name her this or a biblical name. In my language it means "lioness"
My hubby chose a Celtic name for our son (he has some Irish ancestry)