PDA

View Full Version : Shia or Sunni?Which branch of Islam has killed the most?

Ruggery
04-19-2020, 08:27 PM
Islam is not going to escape this, like the thread of Christianity I would like to evaluate Islam.

Dr_Maul
04-19-2020, 08:41 PM
Shiites never really had any big presence or power before the 15th century so its naturally going to be Sunni. Not to mention pretty much all genocides and massacres like the Armenian/Greek/Assyrian genocide and the genocide of French settlers by Algerian Sunnis

Ruggery
04-19-2020, 08:43 PM
Shiites never really had any big presence or power before the 15th century so its naturally going to be Sunni. Not to mention pretty much all genocides and massacres like the Armenian/Greek/Assyrian genocide and the genocide of French settlers by Algerian Sunnis

Was the Ottoman Empire Sunni?

Dr_Maul
04-19-2020, 08:44 PM

Yes, basically every empire/state outside of Iran was Sunni

Halgurd
04-19-2020, 08:45 PM
They have not killed as many as Christian invaders from Europe have killed in America, Africa and Asia.

Bosniensis
04-19-2020, 08:46 PM

Ottomans were Ottomans.

Sects like Sunnis, Shias have religious leaders who direct path of Sunni or Shia

In Ottoman Empire, Emperor was like a Byzantine Emperor, his word was sacred, he declared himself as "Representative of all believers", defender of faith, defender of many other things.

Therefore Ottoman Islam during the reign of Ottoman Empire can't be really called Sunni or by any other name.

It was Islam run by Emperor from Topkapi palace.

Marmara
04-19-2020, 08:54 PM
Yes, basically every empire/state outside of Iran was Sunni

Janissaries were Shia though, Bektashi to be precise.

Halgurd
04-19-2020, 08:59 PM

Fatimid Caliphate were Shias based in North Africa as well.

Anyways lets let this thread die.

Dr_Maul
04-19-2020, 09:01 PM

Not sure what your point is, Janissaries didn't do the Armenian Genocide, Sunni Turks did
Not to mention
Tamerlane(Sunni)
Mughal massacres of Hindus (Sunni)
Delhi Sultanate massacres of Hindus (Sunni)
Hamidian Massacre (Sunni)

Pretty sure the Sunni death toll is among the highest in the world second only to colonials

Dr_Maul
04-23-2020, 03:38 PM
You can downvote me all you like, but it doesn’t change the facts lmao. The vast majority of ethnic cleansing and genocides in Islam were committed by Sunnis, most of them Turks.

100,000 Hindu Rajputs - Delhi Sultanate 1265
180,000 Hindus - Bengal Sultanate 1353
300,000 Armenians - Ottoman Empire 1894
750,000 Assyrians - Ottoman Empire 1915
1,000,000 Ethnic Javanese, Chinese, and Atheists - Indonesia 1965
1,500,000 Armenians - Ottoman Empire 1915
3,000,000 Bengal Hindus - Pakistan 1971

And this isn’t mentioning the death toll of war-time mass murders and slaughtering which was obviously practiced heavily by Sunni conquerors such as Timur, Babur etc

Kyp
04-23-2020, 03:53 PM
Sunni of course. What is this thread. Not even a question.

Nassbean
04-23-2020, 03:57 PM
dumb question because most muslims are and were sunnis

osman_ghazi
02-02-2021, 06:43 AM
This is a complex question. There are two branches or rather interpretations of Sunni Islam. Sufism or Tasawwuff in Arabic and Salafism/Wahabbism.

The latter has killed not only non-Muslims, but also other Muslims such as Sufis and Shias. Salafism/Wahabbism is a branch of Sunni Islam that is intolerant, has a strict interpretation of Quran, Hadith and Sharia, literal, and ultra conservative.

Al Qaeda, Boko Haram and DAESH all follow Salafism/Wahabbism, and as you know, they have killed many people.

In my case, I am a Sunni Muslim that has an emphasis on Sufism/Tasawwuf and member of the Naqshbandi Tariqah. I also follow to a lesser degree the Cerrahi and Chisti tariqah. In madhab, I follow the Hanafi madhab.

As an additional info, there are Sunni and Shia Sufis as Sufism is not a sect of Islam, but rather the esoteric/inward dimension of Islam.