PDA

View Full Version : How many of you...

SuuT
03-23-2009, 03:59 PM
I would like to have a poll added but I don't know how to do that. So, in a question: Who of you, by virtual "show of hands", grew up in :

1.) A single parent household.

2.) With both of your parents.

3.) Some other situation/arrangement (please elaborate on your experiences).

Feel very free to add anything and everything that you deem relevant; and I'll see you on the other side......

Æmeric
03-23-2009, 04:09 PM
With both parents. Though they seperated after I graduated high school & though never divorced lived apart for the last 22-years of my fathers life. Getting divorced would have just been too messy financially.

Ulf
03-23-2009, 04:13 PM
I grew up primarily with my mother but stayed with my father every other week or so. I can't remember my parents ever being together so it's just what is normal to me. My parents parted ways amicably. My mother remarried so I grew up with a step-father. We've had our differences but are on good terms now.

SuuT
03-23-2009, 04:21 PM
I forgot to say that I was raised by both of my parents until the age of 14, and then, per covenant, my father had more time with me.

Lady L
03-23-2009, 04:24 PM
With both parents. They split a few times for short periods of time...but could never stay away from each other long...:D

They have been married 32 years now...

Jägerstaffel
03-23-2009, 04:29 PM
My parents were together when we were young, never separated and to this day remain very close to my brother and I.

Aemma
03-23-2009, 05:14 PM
My sister and I had the good fortune of growing up with both parents, though at times during our childhood and adolescence things were dicey since our mom had a chronic illness (lupus) which resulted in some very close calls when we were young.

Our parents lived together happily married (for the most part :)) until my dad died at the age of 60 at which time my mom came to live with me and hubby. Four years later she too passed away, at the age of 60 as well. (Heh, things don't bode so well for me if you look at those stats! :eek:)

We were always very fortunate as well that our extended family has always been very close and so aunts, uncles, and cousins abound and have always been integral parts of our lives. :)

Nice poll SuuT. :)

Cheers!...Aemma

Manifest Destiny
03-23-2009, 05:20 PM
My parents have been married since 1966. :thumb001:

Birka
03-23-2009, 05:29 PM
My mother was a typical 50's house wife (what a terrible phrase) and was always home. We lived on a farm, so my dad was always "home" too, if you called the fields, pastures and barn home.

Lyfing
03-23-2009, 05:32 PM
My parents divorced when I was 2. My mother worked 2 jobs after that and I stayed with my Granny most of the time. She remarried when I was 7. I never had one conversation with the man she married. I stayed with them and went to school. Every weekend and in the summers when school was out I stayed with my Granny. When I was 13 I got sent off and put in the custody of the state. That lasted for a year. Then I went to live with my Momma and her husband. When I was 17 I moved out..:thumb001:

Later,
-Lyfing

Addergebroed
03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Our parents lived together happily married (for the most part :)) until my dad died at the age of 60 at which time my mom came to live with me and hubby. Four years later she too passed away, at the age of 60 as well. (Heh, things don't bode so well for me if you look at those stats! :eek:)

Ah well, you're 99 already! :D

I grew up with both parents luckily!:)

Aemma
03-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Ah well, you're 99 already! :D

D'oh! I forgot about that! :pound:

I grew up with both parents luckily!:)

:thumbs

Cheers Adder!...Aemma :)

Loki
03-23-2009, 06:30 PM
I grew up with both parents until the age of 13. Then my father died (and mother lost her mind). From then on, God was my only effective parent.

SuuT
03-23-2009, 06:32 PM
{...} God was my only effective parent.

Which god?

Loki
03-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Which god?

YHVH. I have since abandoned him though, as we all know.

SuuT
03-23-2009, 06:39 PM
YHVH. I have since abandoned him though, as we all know.

And today you are left "Absent a god" (Atheist)?

Loki
03-23-2009, 06:54 PM
And today you are left "Absent a god" (Atheist)?

Correct.

SuuT
03-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Correct.

have you left the gods; or, have the gods left you?

Loki
03-23-2009, 07:03 PM
have you left the gods; or, have the gods left you?

I left them because they left me.

SuuT
03-23-2009, 07:06 PM
I left them because they left me.

A courageous retort!

"Left" or (perhaps) continuing to test you? Is this equally possible?

Loki
03-23-2009, 07:09 PM
"Left" or (perhaps) continuing to test you? Is this equally possible?

Possible, yes, but not acceptable.

Baron Samedi
03-23-2009, 07:13 PM
I was raised by both parents, but they really should have separated a long ass time ago....

SuuT
03-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Possible, yes, but not acceptable.

To you, or the gods?

Loki
03-23-2009, 07:22 PM
To you, or the gods?

To me. :) I'd rather die a wretched man, than serve any god again.

SuuT
03-23-2009, 07:25 PM
To me. :) I'd rather die a wretched man, than serve any god again.

Then a potential god you are. ;)

Allenson
03-23-2009, 07:40 PM
I drew a lucky straw in this regard. I grew up with both parents in a stable home. My folks are still together and come June, they will have been married for 43 years.

Rainraven
03-23-2009, 08:03 PM
I grew up with both my parents but my dad moved out during my last summer at home before I went to university. Since then he has been living with his ex-bestfriends ex-wife who was a good friend of my mums before this whole mess happened :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for the poor felluh because I think after a year and a half he's beginnning to realise what a special lady my mum is :p

Skandi
03-23-2009, 08:09 PM
My parents divorced when I was 18 months I have never seen my father after he lost the custody battle. My mother has remarried but I was 25 at the time! We lived in my grandparents holiday home in England, so they were around for a month or so each year, I spent some time with one of my mothers friends as well.

Treffie
03-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Both my parents stayed together until my mum died in 1999, and thankfully my father never re-married. Somehow the thought of my father re-marrying repulsed me, but I knew he was the kind of man who wouldn't do it anyway. He died in 2006. I miss them terribly.

Susi
03-24-2009, 12:30 AM
My parents were married in 1970 and waited a long time to have children. So they knew that they were going to be together through children as well. My parents have been married nearly twice as long as I'm old ._. I like my mum and dad <3 Even though I was a rebellious silly teenager and still sort of am, I know they have my safety in mind. .-.

Psychonaut
03-24-2009, 02:58 AM
My parents divorced when I was about five. Since my father was an active duty sailor, my sisters and I lived my mother alone until she remarried when I was around eleven.

Gooding
03-24-2009, 03:54 AM
My elder sister and I grew up with both of our parents.My relationship to my sister and my parents is reserved but amiable.

Barreldriver
03-24-2009, 07:02 AM
I grew up single parent, and without parents for a while, it's complicated, basically divorce happened, mum got the custody, she lost all our property, we were without home or possessions, she took it out on me physically, she ditched me at this old "day-care" ladies house for a month, then my pa found out and took custody of me. Done.

Frigga
03-24-2009, 04:51 PM
I put other. I lived with both parents until I was 12. I had an abusive, alcoholic father who endangered my brother, abused me, and subjugated my mother. We lived with my grandparents for a year, lived on our own for a year, and then my mom remarried to a really great guy, and I lived with them until I was 19. I have since alienated my sperm donor excuse for a father, and do not speak to him, and hope that he dies, and rots in hell.

Sorry. I'm pretty touchy on that subject.

MarcvSS
03-24-2009, 05:14 PM
I so want too give you all my two cents...

I'dd beter not.

MarcvSS
03-24-2009, 05:49 PM
I got some repcomments regarding my post in this thread, saying that it might be wise to get things of my chest...

Fair enough...

I was raised in a two parent family... Or rather a nill parent family...

My father worked all day, so did my mom... Time for me they never had.
Mom was an incest victim and used that abuse to justify her every mistake...
Dad was never around, cause he didn't want to be around mom, so he filled up his life with work.

At the age of 9 my dad tryed to throw my mom down the stairwell in an attempt to kill her... He sadly failed.

At the age of 12, my own mom tryed to strangle me, wich resulted in me stabbing her with a kitchen knife several times...

At the age of 14, I got fed up and left home... Kept in touch for several years and deceided lateron that these people weren't my piece of cake...

Since that time, I've been in jail numerous times, molested people, killed men, kicked society in the teeth and the list goes on...

Pfff I don't wanna continue anymore... Sorry...

Stossy
03-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Grew up in a house with both parents.
Though they've had their fights and it got close to a divorce but it never came that far, i'm happy for that.

Barreldriver
03-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Grew up in a house with both parents.
Though they've had their fights and it got close to a divorce but it never came that far, i'm happy for that.

I'm happy for my parents divorce, I got double holidays, and I got an in the face regime of eff you and toughen up from my ma. I'm grateful for the whole experience, if it weren't for the divorce I'd probably be some panty waste given how I was as a child, I was a pussy despite my size, after the whole situation went down I hardened up and I'm glad for it, nothing says toughen the fuck up then being forced head first into a wall right before eviction. I look back and imagine what might have happened today if that hadn't happened in my past, and I think, I would have been walked all over today if that hadn't happened, because of the experience I do not fear standing up and taking what is owed, what is rightfully mine, and defending it.

Beorn
03-24-2009, 09:16 PM
I was raised in a lovely, quiet area of middle class suburban Surrey in a very stable and secure household.

Much love. Much peace and much normalcy.

RoyBatty
03-24-2009, 10:34 PM
I grew up with both parents in a middle-class environment. Things at home were fairly "normal" and stable. It was different for most of my best friends who had all sorts of dramas going on, ie attempted murder, abuse, alcoholism etc etc. Guess life gave me a lot more chances than I deserved.

Strange how one realises later in life how "privileged" you were when at the time you just took everything for granted.

Thanks to all for your stories. Puts things into perspective.

Loyalist
03-25-2009, 12:24 PM
I lived with both parents, but to say they didn't get along would be an understatement. My father was a bipolar alcoholic with little work ethic, while my mother had an excellent job, always working hard and having to deal with his issues on a daily basis. It continued that way until he committed suicide when I was 15. I'd be lying if I said I missed him. I'm still living at home while I'm in university, and finally have the stability that was never there when he was around.

safinator
02-17-2013, 03:04 PM
I grew up with both my parents.

Germanicus
02-17-2013, 03:07 PM
I grew up in a household with both my parents, my mother is still alive. I had a very unhappy childhood because of an overbearing jealous older brother, at 19 yrs old I left the family home and provided for myself ever since.

MissProvocateur
02-17-2013, 03:08 PM
I didn't live (and still don't live) with either of my parents. I won't go into details, but I'll give you an overall view of it: My parents got divorced when I was young, my father lost the trial, so he only gets to see me every 15 days, my mother is never around, which I don't mind since she's annoying as hell anyway. So basically, I grew up in a household with my brother and maids who were paid by my grandfather to take care of us and keep the house stable and clean. :)

Nihtgenga
02-17-2013, 03:13 PM
I was raised by a single grandmother. My father was 21 when he died in an automobile crash and my mother was 16 and pregnant. She had me when she was 17 and I guess she felt that she couldn't raise a child on her own. My grandmother took me and she is the woman I called mom my whole life.