PDA

View Full Version : Classify Dark Irishman Kevin Rowland of Dexys Midnight Runners

Grace O'Malley
04-25-2020, 08:46 AM
He was born in England to parents from Crossmolina, Co Mayo. The biggest hit of his was Come On Eileen. I'm sure there has been other threads on him but that has been a while. It is interesting to me that you can get this phenotype in Ireland. My father had darker skin colouring and could tan really well as could other members of his family although he was blue eyed and had lighter hair colouring than Kevin. My aunt had similar colouring to Kevin but all her children were redheads. :) Anyway it is interesting the diversity of populations even in populations like the Irish that don't display much exoticism in their genetics. He's got a very interesting look for an Irishman. He was a bit of a perfectionist like Morrissey so one of those dark, brooding and complicated Irishmen.

https://assets.pixyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2014/07/DEXYS-MIDNIGHT-RUNNERS-21-426x600.jpg
https://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/wennpic/kevin-rowland-q-awards-2012-02.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YOpWNqi.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC1vtG3oyqg

Immanenz
04-25-2020, 09:43 AM
Paleo Sardinian + Gracile Med

Grace O'Malley
04-25-2020, 09:53 AM
Paleo Sardinian + Gracile Med

Interesting even though Irish have predominantly Beaker genetics and most of their Farmer is from GAC. Kevin is similar to Robert Sheehan IMO.

Vojnik
04-25-2020, 09:54 AM
Wow. Very woggy.

Grace O'Malley
04-25-2020, 09:55 AM
Wow. Very woggy.

More woggy than a lot of wogs. :)

Vojnik
04-25-2020, 09:58 AM
More woggy than a lot of wogs. :)

Yes. Just shows that every ethnicity has their outliers. This guy may well be pure North-West Euro. May be some recessive genes from early European hunter gatherers.

Grace O'Malley
04-25-2020, 10:08 AM
Yes. Just shows that every ethnicity has their outliers. This guy may well be pure North-West Euro. May be some recessive genes from early European hunter gatherers.

Yes I've no doubt he would cluster North European as far as genetics. I find it interesting that there are some very dark Northern Europeans. My genetics are very Northwestern European but my aunt is very similar phenotype wise to Kevin. She was very dark and all her ancestry was from Co Sligo/North Roscommon in Ireland so more the West Coast of Ireland like Kevin. I didn't inherit any of this colouring nor did any of the children of my darker relatives but it is interesting that there are Irish that have this darker colouring.

Kivan
04-25-2020, 10:17 AM
Gracile-Med + CM.

Immanenz
04-25-2020, 10:21 AM
Interesting even though Irish have predominantly Beaker genetics and most of their Farmer is from GAC. Kevin is similar to Robert Sheehan IMO.

Yeah, i see that resemblance. I guess some of those unmixed EEF could survive or there is maybe another explanation...

Grace O'Malley
04-25-2020, 10:29 AM
Yeah, i see that resemblance. I guess some of those unmixed EEF could survive or there is maybe another explanation...

Beakers apparently replaced 93% of the population in the British Isles so the predominant genetics is Beaker and also if you model Irish in G25 they don't get any Neolithic Irish. There is a study that will be released to the public in 3 weeks time from Lara Cassidy that will have a lot more Neolithic genomes from Ireland so possibly this might show more Neolithic survival in Ireland. Irish are a very Steppe descended population though so it is interesting that you do get these darker phenotypes. I remember my cousins commenting that when they went to Spain they saw women that resembled their mother, my aunt. Genetically though I know that Irish are quite distant to Spanish and Sardinians but it does show that there is quite a range of phenotypes even in small populations like the Irish.

Grace O'Malley
04-25-2020, 10:43 AM
This is what I get in g25 and I don't think someone like Kevin would be much different.
Target: Grace_scaled
Distance: 1.6928% / 0.01692810
50.0 Irish
48.0 Icelandic
1.0 Adygei
1.0 Cossack_Kuban

Grace O'Malley
04-25-2020, 10:47 AM
This is what I get in g25 and I don't think someone like Kevin would be much different.

Distance: 1.6928% / 0.01692810
50.0 Irish
48.0 Icelandic
1.0 Adygei
1.0 Cossack_Kuban

Double post so I will remove Icelandic.

Distance: 1.7431% / 0.01743114
75.4 Irish
24.2 Swedish
0.4 Lithuanian_PZ

Anyway very Northern European. I think it is obvious that there are darker Northern Europeans even though they don't have much genetics from Southern Europe.