PDA

View Full Version : Germanic Unity, myth or reality?

Johnston
08-30-2011, 05:45 AM
In my last thread, Define Germanic, there was a consensus that there is a Germanic core, and related Germanic qualities which may or may not be found together in the surrounding area, as well as the Germanic diaspora in the New World.

What of West and North Germanic Unity?

What of West Germanic Unity?

What of North Germanic Unity?

What would consist of unity, or fractious relations by contrast?

poiuytrewq0987
08-30-2011, 05:51 AM
No such thing, thankfully. It's like trying to bind Romance-speaking countries together. :coffee:

Hess
08-30-2011, 05:52 AM
I am against Germanic unity of any sort and for European unity. I think by paying too much attention to Meta-Ethnicity (Germanic, Slavic, Romance, etc.) we tend to forget the larger truth that we are all Europeans.

poiuytrewq0987
08-30-2011, 05:54 AM
I am against Germanic unity of any sort and for European unity. I think by paying too much attention to Meta-Ethnicity (Germanic, Slavic, Romance, etc.) we tend to forget the larger truth that we are all Europeans.

Hold on there, I don't believe in that either. We aren't just European, we are Greek, Croatian, English, Russian, etc and that's that.

Johnston
08-30-2011, 05:57 AM
This is somewhat off track here, but what is wrong with the multi-tiered scenario? You have, for instance:

English
West Germanic
Germanic
European
Indo-European

Hess
08-30-2011, 05:58 AM
Hold on there, I don't believe in that either. We aren't just Europeans, we are Greek, Croatian, English, Russian, etc and that's that.

Well, I'm not trying to diminish the importance of individual Nationality. What I am saying is that although we have plenty of differences, all Europeans (excluding Albanians) have much more in common than they think.

Johnston
08-30-2011, 06:00 AM
Well, I'm not trying to diminish the importance of individual Nationality. What I am saying is that although we have plenty of differences, all Europeans (excluding Albanians) have much more in common than they think.Albanians? Are we talking about Germanic Unity here or what?:rolleyes:

Johnston
08-31-2011, 05:44 AM
Thank you ranger and Karl for your opinions.

Johnston
09-01-2011, 02:47 PM
So far, three of us have chosen West Germanic Unity: myth and North Germanic Unity: reality.

North Germanics are resoundingly described as Nordic. West Germanic are seemingly fractured by Celtic and Romance relationships. Am I wrong?

Could West Germanic go the way of East Germanic?

sioned
03-13-2015, 10:57 AM
It is possible, but it take a long way; for a start, lets unite Netherlands with Flanders and Germany with Austria...

Odin
02-06-2018, 08:04 PM
Reality.