PDA

View Full Version : Should we be "obedient"?

Skandi
03-24-2009, 07:23 PM
It seems that society values obedience more than free thought, honour, action etc. Everything that we are exposed to by the media, government institutions, schools etc, is pushing a blind conformity, to their idea of a "ideal citizen"
"bow down and obey" is their chant.

What are your views on obedience? how much is good, what is bad? Should you obey laws even if you don't agree? What happens if the majority don't?

Loki
03-24-2009, 07:33 PM
It seems that society values obedience more than free thought, honour, action etc. Everything that we are exposed to by the media, government institutions, schools etc, is pushing a blind conformity, to their idea of a "ideal citizen"

What are your views on obedience? how much is good, what is bad? Should you obey laws even if you don't agree? What happens if the majority don't?

Who is society? We are society. Our laws and rules are the result of our collective wishes, since we - by our choices - have placed those in authority to rule over us and regulate society.

Rebelling against majority wishes, is what you are talking about here. And I'm all for it. I have always rebelled against authority when I thought it right to do so. So in essence, I was my own righteousness and my own authority. This speaks of individualism instead of collectivism.

I do not propose every person should create their own laws and moralities ... if we did that, the country would have been lawless, violent, cruel, even more corrupt than it is already, and criminal. We have to be governed by at least a basic set of rules and regulations, otherwise total anarchy would ensue.

I think the issue is that we are governed by too many rules -- in effect a "nanny state".

Think for yourself, that is what I always do and propose for those who have the ability to make responsible decisions. But when to act on your personal convictions, if in opposition to generally accepted societal regulations? I don't know. It's an open question.

RoyBatty
03-24-2009, 07:46 PM

My take on it is that laws are often made and enforced by some people (ie the ruling classes) to control, manipulate or oppress other people (ie the serfs). On the other hand, some degree of control and agreed upon standards are necessary to protect the general population and to prevent a free for all. In other words, laws are a necessary evil which can be used for both good purposes (and in this case one should strive to support it) and bad purposes (in which case there aren't many moral objections to bending or breaking them).

Something to note..... when "breaking the law", always remember the 11th Commandment which reads: "THOU SHALT NOT BE FOUND OUT".

Another point to remember, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" meaning that not knowing the law or pretending not to know it will not save you.