PDA

View Full Version : Do you think our "western" laws are too lax?

Skandi
03-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Do you think our "western" laws are too lax?

Are we too lenient on punishing crime? Would more punishment = less crime or do you believe that we are too harsh and the penal system encourages re-offending?

Absinthe
03-24-2009, 07:59 PM
I think the West mentality concerning crime and punishment is largely based on a "prevention rather than cure" notion, and also suggests that individuals should not commit crimes because they realize the difference between right and wrong, and not because they fear punishment.

I like that notion, in general. I don't want to live in a Police state where everything is criminalized, and be afraid of getting arrested because of trivial reasons. On the other hand, I do admit that the Law is frequently too lax and/or inconsistent, concerning serious crimes --for example, a rapist is frequently treated more moderately than a "Holocaust denier" :rolleyes:

Loki
03-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Do you think our "western" laws are too lax?

No, I don't think so. I think less lax would compromise fairness. Fairness is liberty; civility. Unfair laws equal repression and backwardness.

Are we too lenient on punishing crime?

It depends which crime.

Would more punishment = less crime or do you believe that we are to harsh and the penal system encourages re-offending?

More punishment could mean less crime, but it could also mean that crime would just find a way to be less detectable. And it would necessarily mean that society would fear government and law enforcement even more. I don't think that's a healthy situation.

RoyBatty
03-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Do you think our "western" laws are to lax?

Are we too lenient on punishing crime? Would more punishment = less crime or do you believe that we are to harsh and the penal system encourages re-offending?

I don't think the problems are with the laws (speaking specifically about the UK). It has more to do with the judges and the guidance they're operating under. The courts have gone limp wrt the sentencing of "politically correct" favourites. In other words, the same groups who are favoured under PC laws tend to get away with very lenient sentences for their crimes.

That is a mistake which requires urgent attention.

Regarding punishment, locking somebody up solves little. It would scare a criminal a lot more if they were sentenced to mandatory hard labour. Imo more should also be done to rehabilitate prisoners and to teach them skills with which to earn a crime free living once they leave the prison system.

Baron Samedi
03-24-2009, 09:00 PM
No, actually I think European laws are even more lax.

For example.... Look at Varg Vikernes!

Red Skull
03-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Well, besides the fact that we don't have laws against miscegenation and all the other WN/NS/Nationalist/Patriot/Traditionalist stuff, I think they are too lax. Europeans have become way too soft. We used to have draconian punishments in the good old days, but today I get a condo with a view of the sea, a television, video game console, and access to a pool table if I rape someone (Swedish prison).

Skandi
03-24-2009, 09:09 PM
No, actually I think European laws are even more lax.

Europe is normally considered part of the western world.

Baron Samedi
03-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Europe is normally considered part of the western world.

Oopsie! For some reason, I was thinking strictly about the USA.

Well then, my answer is Yes. :p

Birka
03-24-2009, 09:27 PM
I think the question is too broad to give a simple answer. I think I would have to see a list of laws, and how they are applied today, and then give a separate answer to each one.

I have just posted on another thread about my take on drug laws:

"As a libertarian, I want all drug use decriminalized in the US. This will end the multi-trillion dollar war on drugs which has never worked. The war on drugs is what created all the gangs that rot our cities today. Half of the Americans in jail today are there on a drug charge. The cost of wasted lives and families because someone smoked some hemp is ridiculous.

I do not want the government to get involved and regulate and tax drugs. Just let the free market take effect. Most of the people I know who like a little buzz now and then will just grow a few plants out back, and will have no need to ever interface with drug dealers for any reason.

Oh, the drug dealers will go out of business, and actually have to go out and get jobs.

There will be no more increase in drug use than there is right now. Even with the trillions of dollars wasted on the drug war, anyone who wants to obtain drugs can get them now, illegally. Just because the illegal status is removed, the same percentage of drug users will remain, and not have to deal with gang banger drug dealers."