PDA

View Full Version : FTDNA Big-Y update

Kaspias
06-05-2020, 07:15 PM
There is an update on Big Y besides of MyOrigins 3.

Big Y STR Results

Thanks to the improvement in our Big Y STR technology and quality thresholds, reanalyzing current Big Y data is allowing us to provide additional STR values at no charge. SNP results will not be affected by this update.

This reanalysis will go as follows:
Big Y-700 customers should have received additional STR calls in Panels 6 and 7 over the last few weeks.
Big Y-500 customers will receive additional STR calls in Panels 6 and 7 in the next few days.
Once all customers have been updated, STR calls in Panels 6 and 7 for all customers will be refined based on improvements to our quality control thresholds.
It’s important to note:
For Big Y-700 testers, up until now, if there was a call at a location in the 500 but not in the 700, we preserved the 500 call. With the update to the STR calling process, Big Y-700 testers will only have those STRs called in the 700, which may mean some no-calls at positions that previously had values.
While Big Y-500 customers will receive some additional STR values, the only way to guarantee that a tester receives the full 700 STRs is to upgrade to Big Y-700.

altaic
01-02-2021, 11:07 AM
Is it worth doing Y-111 which is on sale at $199. Morley has faulty reading for R-L23, there is no way for me to know subclade, just 23andme result. Besides R-L23 is very common in Europe so I am assuming I should have some accurate subclades if decide testing for detailed Y DNA. Looks like, Y-37 is $99 , Y-111 is $199 since last fall. Upgrading from 37 to 111 is $119. I have read some comments that some people learn nothing from Y-37 so it is better going with Y-111, I guess. Any thought or recommendations?? Big Y-700 is $379 btw

https://learn.familytreedna.com/general/price-chart/

Kaspias
01-02-2021, 11:18 AM
Is it worth doing Y-111 which is on sale at $199. Morley has faulty reading for R-L23, there is no way for me to know subclade, just 23andme result. Besides R-L23 is very common in Europe so I am assuming I should have some accurate subclades if decide testing for detailed Y DNA. Looks like, Y-37 is $99 , Y-111 is $199 since last fall. Upgrading from 37 to 111 is $119. I have read some comments that some people learn nothing from Y-37 so it is better going with Y-111, I guess. Any thought or recommendations?? Big Y-700 is $379 btw

https://learn.familytreedna.com/general/price-chart/

Well, I think you will want to get your final clade eventually. If you have a chance, it is better to buy directly Big-Y and close your y-dna adventure before spending money on other tests. If you buy Y-111 now, then you will have to pay an additional 30$ while upgrading to Big-Y.

If you think you are not going to buy big-y anyway, then go with Y-37 and then support with SNP tests.

If you think you can get big-y in the future but not soon, then you can buy Y-111 and then upgrade to Big-Y.

Otherwise, buying Y-111/Y-67/Y-37 won't help you without SNP tests. Finally, if you want to spend the minimum amount on those tests then buy just Y-12 and get SNP tests.