PDA

View Full Version : Most & least nationalist peoples in Europe ?

Sebastianus Rex
06-07-2020, 11:57 PM
According to your perception, wich are the most & least nationalist peoples/countries in Europe ?

Tooting Carmen
06-08-2020, 12:01 AM
Put simplistically, the further south and east you go, the more nationalist people get, even if it isn't always reflected in the politics.

Sebastianus Rex
06-08-2020, 12:05 AM
I'll start.
Most : probably Hungarians, they are unapologetically nationalist and regard their nation as a victim of many historical injustices

Least : Belgium, has a very weak national identity

kleenex
06-08-2020, 12:10 AM
Albanians
Greeks
Serbs
The reason being that these countries struggled to maintain cultural/religious identity in the wake of persistent attack from the East.

Mortimer
06-08-2020, 12:16 AM
In western europe italy and austria. In eastern europe or southeastern europe everyone.

Blondie
06-08-2020, 12:20 AM
I'll start.
Most : probably Hungarians, they are unapologetically nationalist and regard their nation as a victim of many historical injustices

Least : Belgium, has a very weak national identity

I have same opinion.

Ouistreham
06-08-2020, 12:27 AM
Put simplistically, the further south and east you go, the more nationalist people get, even if it isn't always reflected in the politics.

https://www.pewforum.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2018/10/PF.10.29.18_east.west_-00-03-.png

The discrepancy between Spain and Italy is astonishing.

Possibly because when asked about the community they belong to, Venetians think of Venice, Tuscans of Tuscany, Romans of Rome etc. while Spaniards think of the downsides of the country they inhabit (those arrogant Castilians, those pesky Catalans...).

Similar phenomenon with the Belgians: the Flemish are highly nationalists for Flanders, the French community sees itself as superior, but all have a poor opinion of Belgium as a whole.

Sebastianus Rex
06-08-2020, 12:28 AM

I don't necessarly agree, maybe I am wrong but I don't perceive the English, Dutch or Danes as least nationalist than the Spanish or the Italians for example.

Tooting Carmen
06-08-2020, 12:35 AM
I don't necessarly agree, maybe I am wrong but I don't perceive the English, Dutch or Danes as least nationalist than the Spanish or the Italians for example.

It depends what you mean. I think that civic nationalism is more prevalent further north in Europe, but ethnic nationalism is more prevalent further south.

Sebastianus Rex
06-08-2020, 12:51 AM
https://www.pewforum.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2018/10/PF.10.29.18_east.west_-00-03-.png

The discrepancy between Spain and Italy is astonishing.

Possibly because when asked about the community they belong to, Venetians think of Venice, Tuscans of Tuscany, Romans of Rome etc. while Spaniards think of the downsides of the country they inhabit (those arrogant Castilians, those pesky Catalans...).

Similar phenomenon with the Belgians: the Flemish are highly nationalists for Flanders, the French community sees itself as superior, but all have a poor opinion of Belgium as a whole.

That question is a bit tricky, imo the answers don't reflect the potential nationalistic sentiment and willingness to sacrifice for the motherland but rather a combination of ignorance, chauvinism and delusion of grandeur of a people.

For example I don't think my culture is superior to others but I am sure I am far more nationalist than most of the 47% untravelled rustic simpletons who answered Yes. xD

Sebastianus Rex
06-08-2020, 12:57 AM
It depends what you mean. I think that civic nationalism is more prevalent further north in Europe, but ethnic nationalism is more prevalent further south.

I don't perceive the Spanish or Italian national sentiments as stronger than those of northern countries, they have many internal divisionisms and regionalisms.

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
06-08-2020, 01:03 AM
The most nationalist:

Northern Europe: Danish

Western Europe: Austria

Eastern Europe: Poland

Southern Europe: Either Greece or Cyprus (both have on going tensions with their Turkish neighbors, which I am assuming it fuels a more nationalist rhetoric and approach on the political media and everyday social life)

The least nationalist:

Either Sweden or Germany, in my opinion. Due to the current status quo in these nations it seems that any sense of pride\nationalism is extremely frowned upon or discouraged in there.

Tooting Carmen
06-08-2020, 01:21 AM
I don't perceive the Spanish or Italian national sentiments as stronger than those of northern countries, they have many internal divisionisms and regionalisms.

I know. However, nationalism in Northern Europe (or more accurately, NW Europe) is more about what people do - provided outsiders learn the country's language and adopt the customs, chances are they'll be accepted - whereas in both Southern and Eastern Europe, nationalism still revolves a lot more on what people are (or rather, are perceived to be), so that not only first-generation foreigners but even their native born descendants are seen as permanent outsiders.

El_Abominacion
06-08-2020, 01:29 AM
To pick countries in particular, i'd pin Poland and Russia as being the most nationalistic. The map depicting Russia as the nation most likely to regard its culture as superior does not surprise me at all, Poles too are very nationalistic as a result of constant invasions and resilience.

Sweden and Germany would be the least nationalistic in my view. Sweden is going to be over a quarter foreign by now, Germany has been brainwashed to hold the idea of pride in their entire history and culture as taboo or downright wrong because of the Holocaust.

Chris596
06-08-2020, 01:32 AM
I wanted to say Sweden as the least nationalist one and after seeing the map which Ouistreham has posted it's basically true.

Nationalists: basically everyone in Central-East and South-East Europe

Sebastianus Rex
06-08-2020, 01:37 AM
The most nationalist:

Northern Europe: Danish

Western Europe: Austria

Eastern Europe: Poland

Southern Europe: Either Greece or Cyprus (both have on going tensions with their Turkish neighbors, which I am assuming it fuels a more nationalist rhetoric and approach on the political media and everyday social life)

The least nationalist:

Either Sweden or Germany, in my opinion. Due to the current status quo in these nations it seems that any sense of pride\nationalism is extremely frowned upon or discouraged in there.

Yet I have the impression that the Germans and Swedes like be German and Swedes and feel a sentiment of superiority due to the achievements of their nations, Germany the economic giant of Europe and Sweden as a social & humanitarian super-power (at least is what they think of themselves). They are just not allowed to express openly nationalist or anti-immigration views because of the extremely PC environment.

06-08-2020, 01:41 AM
Yet I have the impression that the Germans and Swedes like be German and Swedes and feel a sentiment of superiority due to the achievements of their nations, Germany the economic giant of Europe and Sweden as a social & humanitarian super-power (at least is what they think of themselves). They are just not allowed to express openly nationalist or anti-immigration views because of the extremely PC environment.

Yes, they probably do have a sense of pride and self-esteem but they are basically institutionalized since birth to repress it. Those are countries where making a simple Facebook or Twitter post with the "wrong" political views might get you completely stigmatized or in the worst case scenario it even might lead you to loose your job or get in trouble with the law.

If I were to write on social media in here that Salazar was the greatest statesman of all time I know that nothing would happen to me even though in our constitution apology of "fascism" (quotation marks because I do not regard Salazar as a fascit) is forbidden.

Sebastianus Rex
06-08-2020, 01:47 AM
I know. However, nationalism in Northern Europe (or more accurately, NW Europe) is more about what people do - provided outsiders learn the country's language and adopt the customs, chances are they'll be accepted - whereas in both Southern and Eastern Europe, nationalism still revolves a lot more on what people are (or rather, are perceived to be), so that not only first-generation foreigners but even their native born descendants are seen as permanent outsiders.

And you think that a black is Sweden in seen as least foreigner than in Portugal or France ? I don't think so, you romanticize too much the supposed assimilationist mindset of northern europeans.

06-08-2020, 01:52 AM

Which Northern European nation has an ethnic Indian as a Prime-Minister and a female Minister of Justice who is an ethnic Angolan? Portugal does, so it is not like exactly as you say.

Joso
06-08-2020, 01:58 AM

Makes sense.
You are very interesting guy

Sebastianus Rex
06-08-2020, 02:10 AM
Which Northern European nation has an ethnic Indian as a Prime-Minister and a female Minister of Justice who is an ethnic Angolan? Portugal does, so it is not like exactly as you say.

Hid extreme bias towards northern europeans (the tolerant genuine europeans, civic models and compromised to include all the poor immigrants at their own sacrifice) in detriment to southern europeans (the woggish racists, intolerant and undisciplined selfish bastards who want to pimp industrious northern euros while exuding machismo at the beaches) is once again self-evident.

You need a reality check TC, honestly.

06-08-2020, 02:19 AM
Hid extreme bias towards northern europeans (the tolerant genuine europeans, civic models and compromised to include all the poor immigrants at their own sacrifice) in detriment to southern europeans (the woggish racists, intolerant and undisciplined selfish bastards who want to pimp industrious northern euros while exuding machismo at the beaches) is once again self-evident.

You need a reality check TC, honestly.

I remember that when António Costa was elected in here that the Western\Northern European media were surprised that Costa's race\ethnic background was never a political issue or brought up during the campaign. This immediately gives us a clue that in those "tolerant" nations it probably would have been.

Crn Volk
06-08-2020, 02:43 AM
Most: Balkan nations
Least: Scandinavians

Tooting Carmen
06-08-2020, 02:51 AM

Portugal is an interesting exception. Balkanites still seem to hate each other, let alone people from further afield, while Spain, Italy and Greece also put a lot of emphasis on blood and ancestry and have comparatively few people from immigrant/minority backgrounds in high profile positions - be it in sports, politics, media or business. Btw, the Irish Prime Minister is also half-Indian, we in the UK have three full Indians and two Jews in senior cabinet roles (and in a Conservative government, no less), while France in particular also has lots of non-white politicians - principally of North African descent.

Tooting Carmen
06-08-2020, 02:57 AM
And you think that a black is Sweden in seen as least foreigner than in Portugal or France ? I don't think so, you romanticize too much the supposed assimilationist mindset of northern europeans.

France isn't Southern Europe (at least not all of it), and overall it has Europe's most ethnically diverse sets of politicians, sportspeople and businesspeople. (I am not so sure about its actors and TV presenters, however). My experience of Swedes is that their attitude towards foreigners and minorities is by and large deeply paternalistic - they see them as people to be helped but not really befriended as such.

Tooting Carmen
06-08-2020, 02:58 AM
Anyway, despite what I said at the start of this thread, for what it's worth I think this is more of an East-West cultural divide in Europe than a North-South one.

Tooting Carmen
06-08-2020, 03:00 AM
I remember that when António Costa was elected in here that the Western\Northern European media were surprised that Costa's race\ethnic background was never a political issue or brought up during the campaign. This immediately gives us a clue that in those "tolerant" nations it probably would have been.

Just as our media was obsessed about the fact that Prince Harry was marrying a half-Black woman.

06-08-2020, 03:07 AM
Just as our media was obsessed about the fact that Prince Harry was marrying a half-Black woman.

The royal family is not something that goes away after one or two terms. If the royals families stop representing the indigenous people of their nations then we will have reached a new low in Europe. Might as well just get rid of them.

Tooting Carmen
06-08-2020, 03:08 AM
The royal family is not something that goes away after one or two terms. If the royals families stop representing the indigenous people of their nations then we will have reached a new low in Europe. Might as well just get rid of them.

Not that the British royals, aka the Sachs-Coburgs, are really native anyway. xD

06-08-2020, 03:13 AM
Not that the British royals, aka the Sachs-Coburgs, are really native anyway. xD

All royal families in Europe are a mixed-bag of different European ethnic groups. It is not exactly the same as bringing in people from a completely different cultural space.

Tooting Carmen
06-08-2020, 03:15 AM
All royal families in Europe are a mixed-bag of different European ethnic groups. It is not exactly the same as bringing in people from a completely different cultural space.

Ms Markle is American. It is not as if she comes from the Maasai Mara or the Yorubas LOL.

Sebastianus Rex
06-08-2020, 11:30 AM

Yet it was less scandalous than Edward VIII abdicating the throne to marry Wallis Simpson, a 2 times divorced american socialite.

If it was prince William (heir to the throne) marrying someone of the profile of Megan it would have been a greater scandal and possibly unacceptable for the Royal family & establishment.

Tooting Carmen
06-08-2020, 12:53 PM
Yet it was less scandalous than Edward VIII abdicating the throne to marry Wallis Simpson, a 2 times divorced american socialite.

If it was prince William (heir to the throne) marrying someone of the profile of Megan it would have been a greater scandal and possibly unacceptable for the Royal family & establishment.

It wasn't seen as 'scandalous', just noteworthy and an indication of 'progress'. But now you say it, even today there are still conspiracy theories that Princess Diana was murdered for having a Muslim lover.

Jana
06-08-2020, 01:20 PM
That question is a bit tricky, imo the answers don't reflect the potential nationalistic sentiment and willingness to sacrifice for the motherland but rather a combination of ignorance, chauvinism and delusion of grandeur of a people.

For example I don't think my culture is superior to others but I am sure I am far more nationalist than most of the 47% untravelled rustic simpletons who answered Yes. xD

Exactly this.
I am a nationalist and I don't consider my culture superior to others.

Terminator98
06-08-2020, 01:58 PM
No, all of us should be lefties like that Scandinavian guy (someone posted thread recently about it) who was raped by MENA and later said that he feels sorry because they deported him.

Because of this mindset:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSnW5J9KkEKjSKLt1VxPCSJ8TJSrha swb0WT1miOEhjcogN39oy&usqp=CAU
https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/euobs-media/d0b652e3f5d3bd37b0d404417d7ffe2f.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQtSpQRXAq2vBE7LJ2mNygCrByBjCt uz34dbX-tXJ2jT21E0XAq&usqp=CAU

These "least nationalistic" nations will look like this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRbZY4mPxdK4_Ad1mJoYWMJqoKVUzo DpTuHTBK5mryFzAF1X_-K&usqp=CAU
https://assets.change.org/photos/1/zl/vd/deZLvdraKdpQmJQ-800x450-noPad.jpg?1528335739
https://rmx.news/media/e9f/atc_thumb_e9fc4a7af973a8d912b6f1da3a7698370de0dfec .jpeg

So, only thing I can say after this is that I am very happy because my country is one of the "most nationalistic".

Root
06-08-2020, 02:03 PM
Least: NW Europe
Most: SE Europe