PDA

View Full Version : British vs French

Dean K
06-11-2020, 08:09 AM
Why French and British dont like each other ?

JamesBond007
06-11-2020, 08:20 AM
The French and Anglo systems are the two main choices or alternatives in the West (Germany f*cked that up in WWII) so they are not one, they have been at war with each other a lot historically despite alliances in WWI and WWII, and basically they are just rivals. There could be other less important reasons too but French nationalism is cultural and Anglo nationalism is civic which can also cause friction etc...

Dean K
06-11-2020, 08:30 AM
I also heard that Because French and English were Catholics and The British people changed the Laws and delete some imporent rules of the Catholic faith. While French still Catholics the British create a new Religion and for that all the wars. Is that true ?

JamesBond007
06-11-2020, 08:50 AM
I also heard that Because French and English were Catholics and The British people changed the Laws and delete some imporent rules of the Catholic faith. While French still Catholics the British create a new Religion and for that all the wars. Is that true ?

I guess something like that but you are stating it in a less than neutral way and while I do know some of the history on this specific topic I'm not a historian on the issue.

JamesBond007
06-11-2020, 08:50 AM
*edited out* double post

TheMaestro
06-11-2020, 09:02 AM
There is no given hatred between them nowaydays, neither xenophobia. If you’re French they will treat you same as others, if you are British and you come to Paris they will treat you shit same as others. If you come to France they want you to talk French no matter who you are. But as for hatred, it’s not really existing.

Samnium
06-11-2020, 09:14 AM
This rivalry and opposition has pretty much disappeared. (By the way we are in the 21th century, we are literally invaded everywhere, these ancient resentments should be banished...)

Norb
06-11-2020, 09:22 AM
The French hate English more than English hate French for sure, certain parts of Paris are quite hostile towards English people

Davystayn
06-11-2020, 09:30 AM
I think it is more a love/hate relationship now. There is a resentment to some older french I think, but this dissipates quickly if you are able to speak French. Language plays a huge part

Tooting Carmen
06-11-2020, 10:17 AM
Language plays a huge part. Brits resent the fact that the French are less willing than some other Europeans to entirely embrace English, while the French resent the fact that their language no longer genuinely competes with English in most parts of the globe.

Tooting Carmen
06-11-2020, 10:24 AM
Another factor (though it is really politicians and economists more than ordinary people who care) is that the British and French are seen as having rather different political values and systems - the former free-market, the latter statist.

Creoda
06-11-2020, 10:30 AM
How about establishing whether something is true before making a thread asking why.

Immanenz
06-11-2020, 10:33 AM
How about establishing whether something is true before making a thread asking why.

this is not how this forum works.

JamesBond007
06-11-2020, 10:56 AM

It's common sense , dude, but you are from Australia instead of Europe so you might not understand these social and political dynamics in other words you may not be sophisticated. The British, of course, have the most mixed feelings about the French as about one half the country hates them, while the other half loves them. Those British that hate the French tend to like the Americans, and vice versa. In the United Kingdom , they’re considered rude, stinky and a bit yellow, based on their tendency to not fend off invaders like the Nazis.The French, in turn, dislike the English but not the Scots or Welsh and tend to like the Irish. The English bear the brunt of the hatred of Europeans. The Scots and Welsh are not hated because less is known about us.

Immanenz
06-11-2020, 11:04 AM
It's common sense , dude, but you are from Australia instead of Europe so you might not understand these social and political dynamics in other words you may not be sophisticated. The British, of course, have the most mixed feelings about the French as about one half the country hates them, while the other half loves them. Those British that hate the French tend to like the Americans, and vice versa. In the United Kingdom , they’re considered rude, stinky and a bit yellow, based on their tendency to not fend off invaders like the Nazis.The French, in turn, dislike the English but not the Scots or Welsh and tend to like the Irish. The English bear the brunt of the hatred of Europeans. The Scots and Welsh are not hated because less is known about us.

Most French neither hate nor love Brits and they are not making much distinctions between English or Scottish or Welsh.

Mortimer
06-11-2020, 11:29 AM
Most French neither hate nor love Brits and they are not making much distinctions between English or Scottish or Welsh.

The media does though in Germany but subtle not outright hate but I watched often docus about Scotland how they want indenpence and to stay in the EU to me that's subtle anti English propaganda and I guess it is the same in France but I don't watch French news

Immanenz
06-11-2020, 11:36 AM
The media does though in Germany but subtle not outright hate but I watched often docus about Scotland how they want indenpence and to stay in the EU to me that's subtle anti English propaganda and I guess it is the same in France but I don't watch French news

the media is portraying everything what can get a lot of viewers/attention from the mass.

dududud
06-11-2020, 06:04 PM
I don't care, i'm not English and i don't care about English people.

sean
06-18-2020, 03:32 PM
https://i.imgur.com/iXD3k7Y.png