PDA

View Full Version : Which romance language do you understand the most after your own?

Foxy
09-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I am an Italian mothertongue. My understanding of the other romance languages follows this order:

1) Spanish/French (Spanish is easier for pronunciation but French is easier for lexicon)
2) Romanian
3) Portuguese

I find Portuguese particularly hard, both written and spoken.

What about you?

Amapola
09-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Spoken languages (the order would be different in written comprehension)
Galizian, Catalan, Italian, portuguese, French, Romanian.

Daos
09-07-2011, 05:32 PM
I am an Italian mothertongue. My understanding of the other romance languages follows this order:

1) Spanish/French (Spanish is easier for pronunciation but French is easier for lexicon)
2) Romanian
3) Portuguese

Standard Romanian, sure, but I bet you wouldn't be able to understand my dialect!:laugh:

I guess I find Italian the most comprehensible, but French (mainly due to the loanwords from the 19th century) and Spanish aren't much less intelligible, while Portuguese I understand less so.

Sikeliot
09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
I am not fluent in Portuguese but from what I do know and from my mother's perspective, it goes like this;

1) Galician
2) Spanish (reading and pronunciation - pronunciation is not even close to identical but none of the others come closer.. French is in some ways phonologically closer but the lexicon is not as similar as Spanish)
3) Cape Verdean Creole and Papiamento (not proper Romance languages but they have a Portuguese base).
3) Italian/French
4) Romanian

Peyrol
09-07-2011, 05:43 PM

2) Romanian
3) Portuguese

I find Portuguese particularly hard, both written and spoken.

What about you?

1) Catalan
2) Franco-Provenzal / Patois
3) Castillian
4) French (standard)
5) Romanian (from Romania, not from Moldavia)

I understand better brazilian portuguese than portuguese of Portugal.

Foxy
09-07-2011, 05:52 PM
1) Catalan
2) Franco-Provenzal / Patois
3) Castillian
4) French (standard)
5) Romanian (from Romania, not from Moldavia)

Do you understand Catalan better than standard Spanish and Provencal better than French? Well, I have never heard Provencal but it can be becouse Langue Doc and Italian were very similar, but Catalan is really difficult to me. Even written I don't catch a word. :(

About Romanian, if I listen Romanian TV or texts in standard Romanian it sounds like a dialect of Italian :D but I have also listened some Romanian songs who were not understandable at all.

Sikeliot
09-07-2011, 05:55 PM
From my perspective Romanian sounds like a bizarre Italian dialect (by bizarre I don't mean anything bad, it sounds like Italian with a twist, essentially).

Peyrol
09-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Do you understand Catalan better than standard Spanish and Provencal better than French? Well, I have never heard Provencal but it can be becouse Langue Doc and Italian were very similar, but Catalan is really difficult to me. Even written I don't catch a word. :(

About Romanian, if I listen Romanian TV or texts in standard Romanian it sounds like a dialect of Italian :D but I have also listened some Romanian songs who were not understandable at all.

Of course, i spent many of my holidays in Tossa de Mar, when i was child...i understand catalan quite well...provencal and patois are both spoken here in Piemonte, so i can understand both.

Siginulfo
10-10-2011, 08:01 PM
I know very well Spanish. The other Romance languages are more difficult to me, mostly French.

Francisco D'anconia
12-25-2011, 10:50 AM
I only know some french.

Rudel
11-05-2013, 03:32 AM
Native French speaker, with a background learning Spanish and Provençal :
- Provençal and other langues d'Oc as well as Francoprovençal (they're just all not hard)
- Piemonteis, Italian, Catalan
- Spanish
- Portuguese, Romanche
- Romanian

I can read pretty much all Romance languages, except Romanian (just very partially).

Damião de Góis
11-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Written: spanish, english
spoken: spanish or english depending on the accent used for both languages.

Also
11-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Mother tongue: Portuguese

So Spanish naturally. And Alex, it says Romance language.

I think brazilian portuguese is for some reason closer to italian than portuguese from Portugal. A lot of germans thought I was speaking italian when I was speaking portuguese with other brazilians.

Damião de Góis
11-05-2013, 09:26 PM

Right, then it's galician followed by castillian. I can get italian moderately too.

Smaug
11-05-2013, 09:34 PM
1) Galician
2) Spanish
3) Italian
4) French
5) Catalan

Smaug
11-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Mother tongue: Portuguese

I think brazilian portuguese is for some reason closer to italian than portuguese from Portugal. A lot of germans thought I was speaking italian when I was speaking portuguese with other brazilians.

The accents from São Paulo (excluding some areas of Caipira dialect) and other states from Southern Brazil were influenced by Italian, that's why.

Also
11-05-2013, 09:38 PM
The accents from São Paulo (excluding some areas of Caipira dialect) and other states from Southern Brazil were influenced by Italian, that's why.

caipira dialect :laugh2:

Smaug
11-05-2013, 09:41 PM
caipira dialect :laugh2:

It's so annoying that it sounds like a different dialect.

Svipdag
11-06-2013, 02:36 AM
I assume that Latin, being the fons et origo of all Romance languages is not, itself, considered a Romance language. I can read all of the Romance languages except Romanian, I have been told that my pronunciation is excellent when I speak French, but I can hardly understand a word when French is spoken to me. My Spanish pronunciation is Castillian, but no Spaniard or Latin American whom I have ever met speaks slowly enough for me to catch more than maybe one word in twenty. So, the only Romance language in which I feel fairly comfortable conversing is Italian (which I never studied. I learned it mostly from opera libretti.) My Italian, therefore, dates from the 19th century and has been described as "quaint."

Gaston
11-06-2013, 04:01 AM
I understand most of Occitan languages easily, and Italian (learned it at school) with its Corsican variant too. Catalan next. I think Portuguese is easier than Spanish when you speak French.

Romanian is seemingly universally more difficult but not that much to me. In written form, it's actually easier to me than Spanish; it's visually more familar. But I still understand more Spanish, especially since I am much more exposed to it (major language today with more cultural influence).

bo-marco
10-23-2014, 12:41 AM
As an italian living in Emilia-Romagna
1) Milanes (very close to Emilian)
2) French (simply because learned at school)
3) Spanish
4) Catalan
5) Portuguese
6) Romanian