Umbar---Morocco
Near Harad---Egypt/Libya
Far Harad---Sub-Saharan Africa
The Bay of Belfalas---The Meditteranean Sea
The Sea of Rhun---The Black Sea
Khand---Turkey
Dunlad--Denmark
Rhun---Russia
The Misty Mountains---What's that mountains range in Norway/Sweden called????????????
The Iron Hills---The Ural Mountains
The Grey Havens---Ireland
Brandywine River---The Thames River
The Anduin Most of Europe's rivers run east/west and not north/south. No idea??????????
The Shire/Bree---England
Arnor---The British Isles
Amon Sul---Scotland!! It should be further west.
Rivendell--Trondheim, Norway
Carrock--Umea, Sweden
Moria---West Gate (Bergen) East Gate (Oslo)
Trollshaws---The Faroe Islands
Mirkwood---Primarily Finland
Dol Goldur---Malmo, Sweden. The Necromancer could represent Malmo's huge and violent Muslim minority.
Erebor---Murmansk, Russia
Esgaroth/Lake Men of Dale---Arkhangelsk, Russia
The Long Lake---The White Sea
The River Running---The Volga River
The White Moutains---The Alps
Emyn Muil---The Lusatian Mountains
Helm's Deep---Zurich, Switzerland
Dunharrow---Bern, Switzerland
Edoras---Munich, Germany
Minas Tirith---Vienna, Austria
Isengard---Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Osgiliath---Bratislava, Slovakia
Mordor---Hungary/Northern Romania/Western Ukraine
Minas Morgul---Budapest.

Makes perfect sense. Budapest has more Jews/Nazguls per capita then any other capital city in Europe/Middle Earth. Nicolas Sarkozy is obviously the Witch King of Angmar!!

Baradur---Debrecen, Hungary
Mt. Doom---Uzhhorod, Ukaine
Ered Lithui/Ash Mountains---The Carpathians

The Silmarillion

The Blue Mountains--Have been replaced as a natural barrier by the Atlantic Ocean
Dorthonion---Iceland
Gondolin---Reykjavík
Hithlum---Greenland
Ice Bay of Forochel---Arctic Ocean
Anfauglith---The Norwegian Sea
The ruins of Angband---Svalbard

Then I guess North America represents the Undying Lands.

Anyone is welcome to add or critique!! :)

Barreldriver
03-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Wicked I saw this on another forum, I love this map.

YggsVinr
03-26-2009, 09:15 AM
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k438/ragnarok1227/mapofmiddleearth.jpg

Gondor---Northern Italy/Austria
Harandor--- (Southern Gondor)--Southern Italy/Sicily
Rohan---Germany/Switzerland
Umbar---Morocco
Near Harad---Egypt/Libya
Far Harad---Sub-Saharan Africa
The Bay of Belfalas---The Meditteranean Sea
The Sea of Rhun---The Black Sea
Khand---Turkey
Dunlad--Denmark
Rhun---Russia
The Misty Mountains---What's that mountains range in Norway/Sweden called????????????
The Iron Hills---The Ural Mountains
The Grey Havens---Ireland
Brandywine River---The Thames River
The Anduin Most of Europe's rivers run east/west and not north/south. No idea??????????
The Shire/Bree---England
Arnor---The British Isles
Amon Sul---Scotland!! It should be further west.
Rivendell--Trondheim, Norway
Carrock--Umea, Sweden
Moria---West Gate (Bergen) East Gate (Oslo)
Trollshaws---The Faroe Islands
Mirkwood---Primarily Finland
Dol Goldur---Malmo, Sweden. The Necromancer could represent Malmo's huge and violent Muslim minority.
Erebor---Murmansk, Russia
Esgaroth/Lake Men of Dale---Arkhangelsk, Russia
The Long Lake---The White Sea
The River Running---The Volga River
The White Moutains---The Alps
Emyn Muil---The Lusatian Mountains
Helm's Deep---Zurich, Switzerland
Dunharrow---Bern, Switzerland
Edoras---Munich, Germany
Minas Tirith---Vienna, Austria
Isengard---Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Osgiliath---Bratislava, Slovakia
Mordor---Hungary/Northern Romania/Western Ukraine
Minas Morgul---Budapest.

Makes perfect sense. Budapest has more Jews/Nazguls per capita then any other capital city in Europe/Middle Earth. Nicolas Sarkozy is obviously the Witch King of Angmar!!

Baradur---Debrecen, Hungary
Mt. Doom---Uzhhorod, Ukaine
Ered Lithui/Ash Mountains---The Carpathians

The Silmarillion

The Blue Mountains--Have been replaced as a natural barrier by the Atlantic Ocean
Dorthonion---Iceland
Gondolin---Reykjavík
Hithlum---Greenland
Ice Bay of Forochel---Arctic Ocean
Anfauglith---The Norwegian Sea
The ruins of Angband---Svalbard

Then I guess North America represents the Undying Lands.

Anyone is welcome to add or critique!! :)

Well, my criticism is that whoever created this map has very little knowledge of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Tolkien's essays, and Tolkien's voiced intentions when he wrote the Lord of the Rings. Tolkien strove to create a "mythology for England" not to mention that the Rohirrim, which the author of this misguided map places in Germany/Switzerland (why on earth?), were symbolic of the Anglo-Saxons (which should be evident in Rohirrim personal names for one thing). Whoever created the above map would better spend their time going over the appropriate material before making such wild guesses. If I come off as an "ass" in this criticism it is only because I despise the fact that Tolkien's writings are so butchered and reinterpreted to serve contemporary purposes these days. I don't have much time right now to offer more criticism than that.

Barreldriver
03-26-2009, 09:36 AM
^in the Lost Tales Tolkien admits to using non-British Isle's landmarks and tales in his works, especially in regards to those associated with Morgoth/Melkor. He claimed frequent inspiration from Denmark, Norway, and Finland. However in the final editing for the Silmarillion he does admit to dropping many concepts he came up with during the essays included in the Lost Tales volumes, and made frequent alterations, the key roots of his tales were in ancient British Isle's settings, and general Northern European settings, frequenting Denmark(the source of the very first essay in the Lost Tales part 1. talks admits to drawing inspiration from Danish migrations) and the places that Melkor and a few other Ainu resided that were directly inspired by Scandinavia and he frequently admits to using Finland as inspiration for some of the Elvish language and inspiration for a few other landmarks. Early on he had included his own version of Valhalla that was ruled by two border line lackies of Melkor, these two Ainur having dual loyalty, appreciating the chaos of Melkor but the loyalty to Illuvatar's will.

Allenson
03-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Well, my criticism is that whoever created this map has very little knowledge of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Tolkien's essays, and Tolkien's voiced intentions when he wrote the Lord of the Rings. Tolkien strove to create a "mythology for England" not to mention that the Rohirrim, which the author of this misguided map places in Germany/Switzerland (why on earth?), were symbolic of the Anglo-Saxons (which should be evident in Rohirrim personal names for one thing). Whoever created the above map would better spend their time going over the appropriate material before making such wild guesses. If I come off as an "ass" in this criticism it is only because I despise the fact that Tolkien's writings are so butchered and reinterpreted to serve contemporary purposes these days. I don't have much time right now to offer more criticism than that.

Yes, but remember, that the Rohirrim were originally from "The North" and were invited to settle in what would become Rohan, by the Stewards of Gondor as repayment for their services. Thus, Rohan was not their native land.

I've always thought of the Rohirrim as Saxons-come-Scythians. Tolkien based their language on A-S, no doubt--but their horsemanship and the fact that they lived on treeless plains, in a herdsman fashion, points to sources, at least culturally, to the east.

And, let's not forget that Tolkien despised allegory. ;)

Anyway, it's an interesting map and it does a reasonable job of equating the geography of Middle-Earth with the geography of modern Europe. And, Doggerland is back above sea level here. :)

Stegura
01-31-2012, 12:31 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2na1ifb.jpg

Original pic didnt work anymore

A few more

Croatia could be included in Harandor (South Gondor).

Split could be serve as Pelargir, the greatest seaport city of Gondor.

Stegura
01-31-2012, 12:41 AM
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060302220753/uncyclopedia/images/archive/b/bd/20081127143002!Europe_middle_earth.JPG

Less well done.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5091/9095map2.jpg

Better then the one above.

Vukodav
01-31-2012, 12:42 AM
Minas Tirith=White City=Belgrade :D

Guapo
01-31-2012, 12:48 AM
Tolkien knew how to speak Serbian, he was into Serbian epic poetry which influenced him too.

Padre Organtino
01-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Maps are pretty Russophobic I must say:rolleyes:

Vukodav
01-31-2012, 12:55 AM
Tolkien knew how to speak Serbian, he was into Serbian epic poetry which influenced him too.
yes and his inspiration for Rohirrim cavalry was Serbian (and later Polish) Hussaria (Gusarija)

Siegfried
01-31-2012, 12:58 AM
So, my family is from Mordor and Rohan. Interesting...

Rosenrot
01-31-2012, 01:24 AM
I would be Gondorian with some Rohirrim blood. I liked it.

Or gondorian/Eriador/Rohirrim mongrel :P

Siegfried
01-31-2012, 01:28 AM
yes and his inspiration for Rohirrim cavalry was Serbian (and later Polish) Hussaria (Gusarija)

No, no, no, my good sir, 'twas Gothic cavalry which inspired him.

Black Turlogh
01-31-2012, 01:29 AM
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060302220753/uncyclopedia/images/archive/b/bd/20081127143002!Europe_middle_earth.JPG

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.

http://i40.tinypic.com/157evyo.jpg

Gaztelu
01-31-2012, 01:36 AM

Germany as Gondor? Please, that honor should go to Spain/Portugal and/or Austria-Hungary.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5091/9095map2.jpg

Once again, why is Spain/Portugal not part of Gondor?

Stars Down To Earth
01-31-2012, 01:37 AM
Tolkien himself said, many times, that he hated all real-life allegory to his stories. Especially WW2 comparisons got on his nerves. ("ZOMG Sauron is Hitler!") The Oxford Don wouldn't have approved of your stupid maps. :tongue

He did pick up real-life inspirations for his fantasy cultures and languages, and used ancient mythology a lot, but that's pretty much all. The Gondorians were based on Romans, the Rohirrim on Anglo-Saxons, the Hobbits on rural English middle-class wankers, and so on.

Nope, his main inspiration for the Rohirrim was the early Angles and Saxons (and the cavalry part was based on Goths). Just look at the names of every single Rohirrim character, FFS.

Vukodav
01-31-2012, 01:38 AM
No, no, no, my good sir, 'twas Gothic cavalry which inspired him.
maybe, I heard this on some BBC documentary

sturmwalkure
01-31-2012, 01:48 AM
Cool map but if we were to consider the entire world as Middle Earth Africa as an entirety would be Mordor (full of Niggers / Orcs)

LightInDarkness
01-31-2012, 01:53 AM
Bad first example. Italy wouldn't end up connecting to Africa. Only the edge of Spain would. Since it's on that type of angle. All islands (Sicily/Corsica/Sardinia) are fair game I guess.