PDA

View Full Version : Do you drink what your ancestors drank? (No inaccurate assumptions plz...)

Dark Snyper Lord 666
07-03-2020, 03:36 AM
Also, do you have a hard time with what other people drink?

I can not drink red wine, I think the taste is fine, but it always gives me a hangover and a poor, strange drunk. Can drink white (Ancestry from a beer/white wine mixed region partially), but even this very rarely do.

I've determined that despite what experts say about "darker beers, darker spirits, higher temp fermented ales vs cooler temp fermented lagers" and that the first three have more hangover causing components - I will do best if I drink british/belgian ales (lots of yeast species usage crossover over the centuries there) and a good drunk on whiskey is really not so bad. Wine is always considerably worse than any of these.

I am a very experienced homebrewer, and near pro-drinker, so sorry if I come across as arrogantly all-knowing in this subject.

Now your turn: but by no inaccurate assumptions, or at least a learning point for you, I mean saying "I'm french and i love wine" "I'm russian i only drink vodka". Sorry to break it to you, but those statements are not certainly true potentially if you look at exactly what region your ancestors lived in for a significant amount of time. Russia's love of widespread love of vodka is relatively new, pushed as a sort of drug by the bolsheviks. and interestingly enough, while some regions of france have of course always been wine producing, many were for the longest time until the early 20th century, primarily cider, distilled drinks or beer drinkers, especially for the common people. Irish "style" stout (NO NITRO PLEASE...) is somewhat new, with whiskey being better bang for ones buck for a significant period of time until the mid 1800s.

In any case, I'm drinking a homebrewed 4.2% bitter with kent golding and a small amount of nugget hops now.

Teutone
07-03-2020, 03:43 AM
Sure I drink beer.

Teutone
07-03-2020, 03:45 AM
Take a look at this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

Daco Celtic
07-03-2020, 03:50 AM
Not really because the beer and the red wines I like can't be found in Ireland or Romania. I like Romania moonshine (tuica) but it's hard to get in the US.

Dark Snyper Lord 666
07-03-2020, 04:04 AM
Take a look at this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

ok? that was barely enforced except in a small region until the early 20th century. i do love bavarian beers though, i heard that there was a perception that weiss beers would cause less of a hangover. I just find they really get me into a drinking mood.

Not really because the beer and the red wines I like can't be found in Ireland or Romania. I like Romania moonshine (tuica) but it's hard to get in the US.

SE european moonshine is better quality than the mega-conglomerate produced stuff no matter how much they call whatever product "premium". the perception of distilled beverages is completely messed up in most of the world.

I drink about 2 litres of slivovitz a year

Teutone
07-03-2020, 05:10 AM
ok? that was barely enforced except in a small region until the early 20th century. i do love bavarian beers though, i heard that there was a perception that weiss beers would cause less of a hangover. I just find they really get me into a drinking mood.

SE european moonshine is better quality than the mega-conglomerate produced stuff no matter how much they call whatever product "premium". the perception of distilled beverages is completely messed up in most of the world.

I drink about 2 litres of slivovitz a year

Its enforced IN 99% of beers you get in Germany.

Dark Snyper Lord 666
07-04-2020, 04:46 AM
yes, in 2020. Thankful, that I can get good quality for cheap price ger pils, helles, and weisses. but again,

"It was not until 1906 that the law was applied consistently across all of Germany, and it was not formally referred to as Reinheitsgebot until the Weimar Republic."

rice was used in northern germany, mumme beers had ground beans and peas in them and were simply massive wine strength brews. The only beer in the entire world I need could be from England and Germany exclusively, but I feel like the reinheitsgebot restricted german brewing creativity.

A true stout made with roasted barley + all malt grain and no additives does not fit within the reinheitsgebot for example. Imagine living without stout.

Crimea-Khan
07-04-2020, 04:57 AM
Why not, I drink water

crazyladybutterfly
07-04-2020, 05:06 AM
i am sure all my ancestors consumed water in a way or another , so yeah

happycow
07-04-2020, 05:07 AM
Coffee. Lots of it.

Luso
07-04-2020, 05:42 AM
Port Wine, Beer and Water :)

Dark Snyper Lord 666
07-04-2020, 03:02 PM
Coffee. Lots of it.

very interesting and good point.

your listed taxonomy looks to me like western asia? Definitely a long history of coffee consumption.

I've been drinking caffeine daily since i was a child and couldn't imagine stopping. Really. Yet, it's something that's a very recent trend relatively for my ancestors, at maximum only about 400 years of tea or coffee, much less for some branches I can figure.

I believe stimulants did exist in Europe previous to these substances though, but less possible for daily use and instant effectivity.

Re: the glib "yeah, WATER", do you think all water is the same around the world? Perhaps you are living in the land where your ancestors have lived for a long time, perhaps not? Do you have any very old springs/sources of water or unique ones? They could be a little time machine in a way.

Chris596
07-04-2020, 03:10 PM
Not really, I mean not on a regular basis. Of course I drink water, I tried Kumis/Kimiz and Boza too a couple times in my life, it's really good but I don't consume it regularly.

TheMaestro
07-04-2020, 03:19 PM
I drink 3 things : Water, Milk and Beer.

Dark Snyper Lord 666
07-09-2020, 03:55 AM
more than drink, eat

it's interesting the assumptions some people make. i envy the diet of my ancestors before 1800 (in some cases), ginger was grown in europe, hot peppers, people ate seafood. it's been homogenized continuously since the 1920s and especially during the self-destructive period of 1940s.

eat organs, eat wild, you will be healthier

Petalpusher
07-09-2020, 04:13 AM
Red/white/Rosé wine, Champagne, yes all the traditionals in the region and from around the country. We are not very high on beers, here it's more considered like an aperitif things, almost like sodas. Meanwhile we have those secret high percentage alcohol's liquor made of apple, pear, juniper, grillotte,.. sitting hidden in people's home for years that we open up for family's reunion, Christmas and all. It makes us spit fire and to be honest tastes more like gasoline than anything else but that's kind of a tradition to open them up once in a while late in the night.

Blondie
07-09-2020, 06:16 AM
Not really, my father like beer very much, but i don't. I drink mineral water, fruit juice, tea, red wine, champagne, vodka-cola, whisky-cola.

Dark Snyper Lord 666
07-09-2020, 03:29 PM
Red/white/Rosé wine, Champagne, yes all the traditionals in the region and from around the country. We are not very high on beers, here it's more considered like an aperitif things, almost like sodas. Meanwhile we have those secret high percentage alcohol's liquor made of apple, pear, juniper, grillotte,.. sitting hidden in people's home for years that we open up for family's reunion, Christmas and all. It makes us spit fire and to be honest tastes more like gasoline than anything else but that's kind of a tradition to open them up once in a while late in the night.

very interesting. these fruit liquors do you mean sweetish liqueurs from fruits steeped in alcohol or distilled like apple brandy? I used to make some sweet liqueurs from fruit or honey and herbs, but in the end i found most of them just ended up too prominently sweet to drink except yes, maybe once a year or so

Not really, my father like beer very much, but i don't. I drink mineral water, fruit juice, tea, red wine, champagne, vodka-cola, whisky-cola.

to each his own of course. and for whatever reason, maybe british army service (rum), my grandfathers only drink of choice was rum and coke.

Dark Snyper Lord 666
07-09-2020, 03:35 PM

very interesting. these fruit liquors do you mean sweetish liqueurs from fruits steeped in alcohol or distilled like apple brandy? I used to make some sweet liqueurs from fruit or honey and herbs, but in the end i found most of them just ended up too prominently sweet to drink except yes, maybe once a year or so

to each his own of course. and for whatever reason, maybe british army service (rum), my grandfathers only drink of choice was rum and coke.

Blondie
07-09-2020, 03:48 PM

That's not bad, sometimes i drink that if my father buy a bottle of rum, but the best alcohol is still the red wine + cola, we call it "Jäger", even my father will be upset if i mix the wine with cola because i "humiliate" the wine :D

RandomGuy20
07-09-2020, 03:50 PM
Beer, vodka and rakija. I drink all of these.
Half my family are/where alcoholics lol

Bender1999
07-09-2020, 03:50 PM
Deleted

Pine
07-09-2020, 03:59 PM
Goy blood, three times a day.

Petalpusher
07-09-2020, 04:06 PM

Im not exactly sure how they are done, my grandfather and uncle are making them, i know there are several passes of distillation, then let them sit for years. They are not for the faint of hearth, them definetly higher than 50% alcohol. Women in the family don't even dare.

https://www.maisondelamirabelle.com/en/eaux-de-vie-and-spirits/96-old-mirabelle-de-lorraine-70cl-45.html

Commercial example but he was doing it on his own. Mirabelle was my favorite, it didn't taste too much like the fruit, maybe an after feel of it. Really mostly anesthetize your mouth and soul :D

akva
07-09-2020, 04:20 PM
Sim pyl sări - honey wine (Chuvash cooking method), vodka, beer, kvass, kefir

Dark Snyper Lord 666
07-09-2020, 04:32 PM
Im not exactly sure how they are done, my grandfather and uncle are making them, i know there are several passes of distillation, then let them sit for years. They are not for the faint of hearth, them definetly higher than 50% alcohol. Women in the family don't even dare.

https://www.maisondelamirabelle.com/en/eaux-de-vie-and-spirits/96-old-mirabelle-de-lorraine-70cl-45.html

Commercial example but he was doing it on his own. Mirabelle was my favorite, it didn't taste too much like the fruit, maybe an after feel of it. Really mostly anesthetize your mouth and soul :D

Wow thats the good stuff there. It appears to be distilled from the fruit then lightly flavoured with an addition of the fruit pulp. Made from plums, it must be similar to slivovitz, one of my absolute favourite alcohols. I wouldn't consider it a liqueur.

Roy
07-09-2020, 04:34 PM
I drink everything, save for petrol.

Roy
07-09-2020, 11:25 PM
That's not bad, sometimes i drink that if my father buy a bottle of rum, but the best alcohol is still the red wine + cola, we call it "Jäger", even my father will be upset if i mix the wine with cola because i "humiliate" the wine :D

Mixing cola with wine?! Gross.

Terminator98
07-10-2020, 12:25 AM
Mixing cola with wine?! Gross.

Don't know for rest of Europe, but it's very popular in ex-Yu, we call it "bambus" or bamboo literally translated. :D
It's better than pure wine, in my opinion. :)

Castor
07-10-2020, 10:42 AM
Lambrusco wine while i'm having a dinner. Delicious.

kefalonitis
07-10-2020, 11:49 AM
No,i hate the taste of Retsina.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retsina

Dark Snyper Lord 666
07-10-2020, 02:24 PM
No,i hate the taste of Retsina.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retsina

it's been a while since i had it, but i like retsina, even the cheap one.

RenaRyuguu
10-20-2021, 09:34 PM
no my ancestors drank beer which makes you fat I drink vodka 4 shots once in a while.

Oneeye
10-20-2021, 09:38 PM
Of course. My dad drinks beer.

Rædwald
10-20-2021, 09:43 PM
I don't know what my ancestors drank primarily? I'd guess water, tea, beer and some kind of cheap rum. :lol:

I don't drink alcohol much anymore, just water from a local spring, coffee black, very rarely drink tea either :rolleyes:

Vyacheslav
10-20-2021, 10:02 PM
I don't drink alcohol