PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms

Harkonnen
07-12-2020, 04:44 PM
In ancient times, how was it decided who gets to taste, which mushroom is poisonous, and which is not?

Harkonnen
07-12-2020, 04:55 PM
I'm thinking criminals or pows could have been ordered to take a nibble on on various edibles.

JamesBond007
07-12-2020, 05:03 PM
I think the various tribes learned what characteristics , of mushrooms, usually denoted they were poisonous and generally avoiding them. However, maybe , in the very beginning , when gathering mushrooms they took extremely small portions, to eat, to see if it made them sick thus indicating a larger portion could potentially kill them. So , maybe even a high status person such as a Shaman might try it, but, who knows ? Anyway, a Shaman might try them because some might have what was considered healing properties, others hallucinogenic , and others poisonous etc..

Harkonnen
07-12-2020, 05:07 PM
Good point. Slowly adding intake could very well work, notwithstanding the most poisonous of edibles.

Benyzero
07-12-2020, 05:16 PM
I've read in the past days that death by eating poisonous mushrooms is pretty common even nowadays, They were learning in the hard way probably. Possible that they gave it to a goat or some other animal around the house first.

Daos777
07-12-2020, 05:25 PM
>Take meat
>beat the meat
>beat the mushrooms
> put mushrooms inside beat meat
>make ball of meat and mushrooms
>make dog eat ball of meat

If dog is okay after 2 hours you can try one mushroom.

frankhammer
07-12-2020, 05:54 PM
I'd hazard a guess and say that most of this experimentation took place prior to domestication of animals and was passed down through generations.

Ellethwyn
01-04-2022, 02:25 AM
I've seen a lot of mushrooms in my garden with big bites taken out of them, and have see the squirrels carrying some away. They seem to love them. Maybe people would watch animals in the wild eat them, and choose which to try based off that?

Harkonnen
01-06-2022, 07:27 PM
I've seen a lot of mushrooms in my garden with big bites taken out of them, and have see the squirrels carrying some away. They seem to love them. Maybe people would watch animals in the wild eat them, and choose which to try based off that?

Could be. Tho I think many animals can handle poison better than us beans.

Now, that is January and snow, it is good to mention that one year back in the day, I found chantarelles growing amidst January snow, which I thought was pretty wild.

Celestia
01-06-2022, 07:29 PM
Perhaps they didn’t have a choice. They were starving and ate a mushroom that was poisonous, died and their neighbors took notes.

Harkonnen
01-06-2022, 08:04 PM
d'oh obviously the witches did it. How I didn't get it earlier. Witches playing with innocent hearts, souls and tummies.

zari212
06-21-2022, 06:40 PM
In ancient times, how was it decided who gets to taste, which mushroom is poisonous, (https://bestrecipe-en.com/salmon-wrap-recipe/) and which is not?

I am extremely curious about this. What I'm particularly curious about is how they differentiate similar mushroom species.:confused::confused: