PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Psychonaut
11-15-2008, 01:56 AM
Howdy,

I recognize quite a few of you from Skadi. I'm Psychonaut, a US Army soldier, husband, and a father of two. My family is as close to being entirely Acadian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadian) as you'll find. Of the ancestors that I've been able to trace to the Middle Ages, most were either Frankish or Norman, but with the odd Lombard and Gallo-Roman thrown in. As such, I worship the Gods of my ancestors, and am a Folkbuilder for the Ásatrú Folk Assembly (http://www.runestone.org) in the Hawaiian islands where I am currently stationed. I look forward to sharing my interests here and learning from those of you I have yet to meet.

The Dragonslayer
11-15-2008, 04:55 AM
Welcome! It's good to see you here. I hope you enjoy it. Have a good weekend. Blessings.

Arrow Cross
11-15-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm Psychonaut, a US Army soldier, husband, and a father of two.
My-my, you sure started it early. Good luck with it and welcome.

Aragorn
11-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Welcome to the forum :)

Vulpix
11-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi and a warm welcome to the Apricity Psychonaut :thumbs up!!

Stormraaf
11-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Welcome, Psychonaut. :wave

Saksenland
11-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Welcome :thumbs up

Johnny Bravo
11-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Psychonaut... :scratch: that was also one of Prodigal Son's handles. Loki, have you heard from him lately? You used to be close friends. :D

Loki
11-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Psychonaut... :scratch: that was also one of Prodigal Son's handles. Loki, have you heard from him lately? You used to be close friends. :D

I haven't heard from him in ages. Good that you mention it, I might drop him an email tomorrow. :thumbs up

Loki
04-29-2009, 03:55 AM
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1628&stc=1&d=1240977285

Heh ... let's try again:

Welcome to The Apricity Psychonaut!!!

:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

Aemma
04-29-2009, 04:07 AM
Dahhhhhhhhhhhhling! Welcome!!! :Hug00001:

Warm enough for you? :wink

:p

Psychonaut
04-29-2009, 04:08 AM
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1628&stc=1&d=1240977285

Heh ... let's try again:

Welcome to The Apricity Psychonaut!!!

:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

Oh no...it's too late for that! The damage has been done! :D

Lady L
04-29-2009, 04:09 AM
Hmmm...you Do seem a bit familiar :confused: :D Anyhow, we have lots of things around here you will enjoy so please do make yourself at home. :D

On a serious note, as of these days of late I think us Apricity folks do a hell of a job welcoming people now, there are usually like 3 pages full of hellos and welcomes ...:thumbs up

Psychonaut
07-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Alright folks, this'll be the last day you see me until after the 11th of August. My unit is finally sending me off to WLC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_Leader_Course). Thankfully it's an abbreviated two week course and not the full four weeks. I'm supposed to show up at 2AM tomorrow, but since I didn't get off work until 3AM this morning I suspect I'll be up later than I should. Anyway, I'll see y'all later.

Rainraven
07-27-2009, 09:42 PM
But but.. You'll miss my birthday :cry

I suppose there are more important things in life though ;)

It sounds intense! Best of luck Psy :)

Aemma
07-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Alright folks, this'll be the last day you see me until after the 11th of August. My unit is finally sending me off to WLC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_Leader_Course). Thankfully it's an abbreviated two week course and not the full four weeks. I'm supposed to show up at 2AM tomorrow, but since I didn't get off work until 3AM this morning I suspect I'll be up later than I should. Anyway, I'll see y'all later.

What? I never saw the memo!! No no no! :P :D

But seriously, hve a good time Psy, well as good a time as you can possibly have at one of those things. Warrior Leader Course...hmmm it sounds pretty heathen. :D Maybe you'll come back with some interesting insights to share with us as to modern-day military training and the heathen mindset. Might be something to write about or at least ponder while you're away. (I know...I'm a bit much. :P :D)

Prends trčs bien soin de toi-męme mon ami. Reviens vite!

Ŕ la prochaine...Aemma :)

Osweo
07-27-2009, 09:44 PM
All t'best, Mate! Sithee later. :)

Vulpix
07-27-2009, 09:59 PM
:disapproving

See you then :).

Absinthe
07-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Haha, belated welcome! :clap:

Groenewolf
07-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Good luck Psychonaut:thumb001: .

Lady L
07-28-2009, 06:47 PM
See you when you get back, be safe. :)

Loki
07-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Have fun Psychonaut! :)

Psychonaut
08-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Well, I'm back. :thumb001:

Ulf
08-11-2009, 07:52 AM
You missed everything interesting, now it's all calming down and returning to normal.

Vulpix
08-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Welcome back :thumb001:!

Loki
08-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Yeah, good to see you again Psych :)

Groenewolf
08-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Welcome back.

Tolleson
08-11-2009, 10:24 AM

Damn! :shakefist :D

Aemma
08-11-2009, 05:10 PM

Yay! Welcome back Psy! I've missed you! :)

Atlas
08-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Welcome back. :)

Gooding
08-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Heya, Psych..you've missed some drama! Not necessarily a bad thing, but everybody's dressed in turbans and burkhas nowadays..asalaamu alaykum!:D:eek::rolleyes:

Psychonaut
08-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Alright folks, the time has come for me to say goodbye again. I'll be off to a language class for the next four weeks. I don't think I'll have WiFi where I'm going, but there's a slim chance of it. If not, I'll see y'all in October. :wave:

Jarl
08-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Alright folks, the time has come for me to say goodbye again. I'll be off to a language class for the next four weeks. I don't think I'll have WiFi where I'm going, but there's a slim chance of it. If not, I'll see y'all in October. :wave:

Pity! What if there is a nice discussion on IE ethnogenesis, in your abscence? :P

Have a fruitful study time :thumb001: See you soon! ;)

Loki
08-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Ah damn, we were just getting used to you being around again ...

Take care and have fun! :) See you soon.

The Lawspeaker
08-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Alright Psych. Enjoy your classes and be careful with yourself.
May your studies be fruitful.

HawkR
08-30-2009, 09:12 PM
By by:D See ya in 4 weeks at least:D

Germanicus
08-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Howdy,

I recognize quite a few of you from Skadi. I'm Psychonaut, a US Army soldier, husband, and a father of two. My family is as close to being entirely Acadian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadian) as you'll find. Of the ancestors that I've been able to trace to the Middle Ages, most were either Frankish or Norman, but with the odd Lombard and Gallo-Roman thrown in. As such, I worship the Gods of my ancestors, and am a Folkbuilder for the Ásatrú Folk Assembly (http://www.runestone.org) in the Hawaiian islands where I am currently stationed. I look forward to sharing my interests here and learning from those of you I have yet to meet.

This i find fascinating about your lineage, how did you ascertain the knowledge about your ancestors so far back?.......Myself i am English, that being said the English have records that only go back so far, this i am puzzled.
For you to go back so far is remarkable, my surname is very rareish in my part of the country, it is a Lancastrian name, it comes from only one place in Lancaster, that said, even i cannot be sure who my ancestors were.
Perhaps you could enlighten us?

Absinthe
08-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Cool, what language? :) (me jealous)

Psychonaut
08-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

This i find fascinating about your lineage, how did you ascertain the knowledge about your ancestors so far back?.......Myself i am English, that being said the English have records that only go back so far, this i am puzzled.
For you to go back so far is remarkable, my surname is very rareish in my part of the country, it is a Lancastrian name, it comes from only one place in Lancaster, that said, even i cannot be sure who my ancestors were.
Perhaps you could enlighten us?

It's unusual for Americans to be sure. However, there are two things about Acadian genealogy that make this kind of historical depth possible. First, Acadians are incredibly homogenous. There were only around sixty families that settled Acadia and, until this this century, we really never bred with non-Acadians. Even those of us who were expelled by the Brits down to Louisiana maintained extremely tight knit communities that were wholly separate from the Germans and Spaniards that had also settled in Louisiana. What this kind of ethnic homogenity means for us is that genealogy is not something that one person does, it's a tribal affair. So long as you, as an Acadian, can trace your ancestry back to your great grandparents, chances are that the rest of the genealogical work has already been done, since there are really only sixty or so progenitors for all of us.

Secondly, many of the original Acadian settlers (and many non-Acadian New French settlers) were non-landed gentry. While they were not, for the most part, title bearing nobles, they did come from noble families whose roots are very well documented. So, more often than not, any given family line can be traced, fairly easily, back to the 1500s, with many going to the 1300s and several notable lines going all the way back to the Merovingian period.

Cool, what language? :) (me jealous)

Just dumb old Mandarin. :coffee:

Absinthe
08-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Can I get hired at your job? Getting paid for learning languages? :clap:

Atlas
08-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Good bye Psycho but see you in october.

Stay safe man !

Treffie
08-31-2009, 12:00 AM
It's going to be weird without you, Psycho. I enjoy reading your high brow posts - even though you're far too intelligent for me and most of your posts go whoosh over my head!:p

Let's just say that you're a great educator :thumb001:

ikki
08-31-2009, 12:10 AM
Can I get hired at your job? Getting paid for learning languages? :clap:

March up to the nato office... and tell them you know all those languages and love to learn more.
Pretty soon they will ask if you know arab, farsi or those afghan dialects..

Psychonaut
08-31-2009, 07:25 AM
Whew! Disaster avoided. The cottage they've put us up at (which is a very nice place in Kailua (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kailua,_Honolulu_County,_Hawaii)) has WiFi. So, I won't be gone after all; I'll just be on a bit less than usual due to all of the Chinese stuff. :thumb001:

Germanicus
08-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

It's unusual for Americans to be sure. However, there are two things about Acadian genealogy that make this kind of historical depth possible. First, Acadians are incredibly homogenous. There were only around sixty families that settled Acadia and, until this this century, we really never bred with non-Acadians. Even those of us who were expelled by the Brits down to Louisiana maintained extremely tight knit communities that were wholly separate from the Germans and Spaniards that had also settled in Louisiana. What this kind of ethnic homogenity means for us is that genealogy is not something that one person does, it's a tribal affair. So long as you, as an Acadian, can trace your ancestry back to your great grandparents, chances are that the rest of the genealogical work has already been done, since there are really only sixty or so progenitors for all of us.

Secondly, many of the original Acadian settlers (and many non-Acadian New French settlers) were non-landed gentry. While they were not, for the most part, title bearing nobles, they did come from noble families whose roots are very well documented. So, more often than not, any given family line can be traced, fairly easily, back to the 1500s, with many going to the 1300s and several notable lines going all the way back to the Merovingian period.

Just dumb old Mandarin. :coffee:

Yes..........but you have not explained how you claim to have found out you have Anglo Saxon, Norman, Frank, Lombardian Lineage, to claim that you have to have family documentation going all the way back. Even myself with my Anglo Saxon Surname i cannot claim that without the Lancastrian local church records that my alleged family once used, and the records would probably be in Latin. When the Normans conquered us the Anglo Saxons were straightaway made slaves of chattle, they had no rights, nearly all Saxon churches were decimated, and local history was trashed, except for the Saxon chronicles much of the everyday local history is lost..
Please elaberate more on how you claim your lineage, it's fascinating....:)

Here is some info from Wikipedia.....
Demographics
After a 1692 visit, Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac, described the Acadian men as "'well-built, of good height, and they would be accepted without difficulty as soldiers in a guards' regiment. [They are] well-proportioned and their hair is usually blond. [They are] robust, and will endure great fatigue; [they] are fine subjects of the king, passionately loving the French of Europe'".[12] Most Acadians were illiterate, and many of the records, including notarial deeds, were destroyed or scattered during the Great Expulsion. For a time, Port Royal did have schools, but these were closed when the British excluded Roman Catholic religious orders from operating in Acadia.[12] While Acadia was under French rule, all settlers were required to be baptised in the Roman Catholic faith.[13] Despite their nominal faith, Acadians often worked on Sundays and religious holidays.[12]

Before 1654, trading companies and patent holders concerned with fishing recruited men in France to come to Acadia to work at the commercial outposts.[14] The original Acadian population was a small number of indentured servants and soldiers brought by the fur-trading companies. Gradually, fishermen began settling in the area as well, rather than return to France with the seasonal fishing fleet.[5] The majority of the recruiting took place at La Rochelle. Between 1653 and 1654, 104 men were recruited at La Rochelle. Of these, 31% were builders, 15% were soldiers and sailors, 8% were food preparers, 6.7% were farm workers, and an additional 6.7% worked in the clothing trades.[14] Fifty-five percent of Acadia's first families came from the Centre-Ouest region of France, primarily from Poitou, Aunis, Angoumois, and Saintonge. Over 85% of these (47% of the total), were former residents of the La Chausée area of Poitou.[11] Many of the families who arrived in 1632 with Razilly shared some blood ties; those not related by blood shared cultural ties with the others.[11] The number of original immigrants was very small, and only about 100 surnames existed within the Acadian community.[5]

Psychonaut
08-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Yes..........but you have not explained how you claim to have found out you have Anglo Saxon, Norman, Frank, Lombardian Lineage, to claim that you have to have family documentation going all the way back.

Well, I'm certainly not just going by surnames. The lines that were nobles (most of whom were seigneurs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seigneurial_system_of_New_France)) have, for the most part, well documented genealogies that to the turn of the millennium. Quite a few of the lines originating in Normandie and Bretagne trace to well known Norman families. In the course of those genealogies, the names transition from sounding French to sounding Norse. Similarly, many of the other noble lines intersect back and forth with the House of Bourbon, which is just riddled with Frankish nobility. Also, a few of the Aquitaine and Alpine lines begin with French surnames that gradually transition into Langobardian names that make their way from Cisalpine Gaul into North Italy. The only lines that I make these kind of claims on are the noble lines, since they're the only ones with any kind of real documentation. Non-noble lines can usually only, for Frenchies, be traced back to the 1500s-1600s, since that's where church records usually start to fail.

Absinthe
09-02-2009, 09:44 AM
March up to the nato office... and tell them you know all those languages and love to learn more.
Oh, as long as I get paid to learn foreign languages that would be fine by me...:)

arab, farsi or those afghan dialects..

Let alone that would *most certainly* come in handy in my neighbourhood... :D

Psychonaut
06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Alright, douchebags…I'm finally making the move, so I'll be off the grid for a bit. I'll see some of you in person very soon, and will see the rest of you the usual ways around the same time.

Gćđ a wyrd swa hio scel!

Tolleson
06-29-2010, 04:38 PM
I hope things go smoothly.

May the landwights smile upon your arrival in your new homestead. :thumb001:

Osweo
06-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Don't forget to take your domovoi.. er... 'house boggart' with you! One way I heard, was to stand in the courtyard with a yoke on your shoulders and shout 'Little Grandfather, we're moving!' ;)

Best of Luck, Psy!

Baron Samedi
06-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Have fun pretending you are a Germanic savior at your new place.....

Aemma
06-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Yay! Psy and family are coming home! :)

Have a safe trip and move and we'll see you soon Monsieur Psy! :) That much closer to getting to meet you in person now! :D

Yes and as Ossi said, don't forget the house wight! I've heard that they travel well in an acorn or their own stone. :shrug:

See ya soon! :)

Bloodeagle
06-30-2010, 02:27 AM
Have a good trip and move.
Do not forget to leave all of the rocks from Hawaii behind, you might make Pele angry.:D

Psychonaut
06-30-2010, 05:49 AM
Who knew my hotel would have free WiFi? :thumb001:

SwordoftheVistula
07-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Who knew my hotel would have free WiFi? :thumb001:

All of them do now, even the run down hindu ones have a home internet-wifi type setup