PDA

View Full Version : The question of racism in Desi households

Tooting Carmen
07-19-2020, 11:38 PM
https://www.desiblitz.com/content/the-question-of-racism-in-desi-households

Do internalised racism and an anti-black stigma run deep within the South Asian community? We explore this important question to find out more.
https://nitrocdn.com/qJaHhaLrhncYQxhIXZLCyJRTtBPtKNRX/assets/static/optimized/rev-1641403/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/The-Issue-of-Racism-in-Desi-Households-ft.jpg

In most Desi households, racism is not a foreign subject.

Whilst South Asians receive their fair share of discrimination, this hasn’t prevented some Desi households from holding prejudiced thoughts.

This includes thoughts and views towards other communities, faiths, castes, and ethnic minority groups behind closed doors.

The South Asian community is not entirely innocent.

In regards to race relations, remaining silent and not acknowledging racism towards others achieves nothing.

We explore the question of racism within Desi households, the types and its impact.

Internalised Racism

https://nitrocdn.com/qJaHhaLrhncYQxhIXZLCyJRTtBPtKNRX/assets/static/optimized/rev-1641403/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/The-Issue-of-Racism-in-Desi-Households-internal.jpg

One of the main issues within the South Asian community stems from internalised racism.

How often have you heard that Desi aunty comment ‘she is a little on the dark side’ to a newborn child or ‘his wife is darker than the husband’ and so on?

Ethnic minorities have all too often been exposed to racist messages throughout their entire lives. As a result of this, they may grow to agree with these views and develop hatred towards their own racial group or sub-groups.

Due to internalised racism, one may begin to develop self-hatred towards their physical appearance.

This issue can resonate with many South Asians. For example, the beauty ideal of having fairer skin has dominated the Asian beauty market for many years.

When the British colonised South Asian countries, they manufactured the ideology that fair skin equates to superiority.

In order to keep up with western beauty standards, many South Asians choose to resort to skin lightening creams in an attempt to alter their skin colour.

The endorsement of skin lightening creams by major Bollywood stars also contributes towards colourism in the South Asian community.

India has a multitude of people with different colours of brown skin from the darkest to lighter brown, but it does not make them less Indian or a human.

Caste conflicts and discrimination are also issues amongst South Asian communities. Often, darker skin tones are associated with those of lower castes.

In India specifically, the caste system is maybe the world’s largest remaining social ranking.

The caste that an individual is born into can determine their life in the future, including their career, their societal role, and how they are treated by others.

DESIblitz exclusively chats to two South Asians about their experience with this subject.

Amrit Sahota says:

“I purposely try to limit contact with certain members of my family because of racist things they have said in the past.”

“It can be a tricky situation but I believe the conversation is worth having.”

“Calling out relatives on their casual racist remarks has led to arguments and tension within my family. They need to be held accountable for their comments.”

To expand views and become more knowledgeable in relation to the topic of race, it’s important to engage in conversations at home with the family and the broader community.

Educating ourselves is the very least we can do to become better allies.

Rohit Sharma says:

“I’ve seen the negative effects that the caste system has created; marriage proposals being laughed at, a lack of job opportunities and generally a lower sense of living.”

“The whole notion of only being allowed to marry someone of the same caste is honestly absurd to me.”

Whilst the backlash against inter-caste marriages is easing, many individuals do still face abuse and discrimination as a result of it.

But the issue of internalised racism and discrimination against darker skin tones is one that needs attention within South Asian communities.

The celebration and acceptance of darker skin tones is a simple way to eliminate racism in Desi households but for it to be a reality is the challenge.

Lack of Integration

https://nitrocdn.com/qJaHhaLrhncYQxhIXZLCyJRTtBPtKNRX/assets/static/optimized/rev-1641403/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/The-Issue-of-Racism-in-Desi-Households-integration.jpg

For many Desi households, a lack of integration with other castes, faiths, and communities has become the norm.

The practice of staying within your ‘own clan’ and type is very common when it comes to grouping South Asians living in the UK.

There are many areas and cities in the UK which have concentrations of South Asians who are from specific backgrounds like Leicester, Birmingham, Southall, Blackburn, Bradford and Leeds.

Interracial, or mixed-race, couples are not common amongst South Asian communities.

This could be due to many Desi households having the mentality that living in a ‘bubble’ seems to be the safer option, as well as prejudice and racism.

Having been in an interracial relationship for 2 years, Bally Atwal shares his views:

“Dating wasn’t discussed much when I was growing up, but it was established that I could start dating once I was at university.”

“Once I was there, I was very much looking forward to meeting new people and forming new relationships.”

“Throughout my 2nd and 3rd year, I dated a white woman and it was going well until both of our families got involved. The mere thought of their son being part of an interracial couple was absurd to my parents.”

Fear of the unknown may prohibit integration between racial groups.

Dr Reenee Singh, founding director of the London Intercultural Couples Centre at the Child and Family Practice, says:

“Despite changing demographics in the UK, where one in every 10 couples identifies as intercultural, intercultural couples still experience considerable racism.”

Whilst interracial relationships may survive the initial dating process, interracial marriages are still seen as a taboo amongst the South Asian community.

Limiting exposure to other racial groups and communities reinforces the prejudicial views of the earlier generation South Asians in the UK.

Casual Discrimination

https://nitrocdn.com/qJaHhaLrhncYQxhIXZLCyJRTtBPtKNRX/assets/static/optimized/rev-1641403/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/The-Issue-of-Racism-in-Desi-Households-communication.jpg

Caste-based hierarchies and colourism have also led to prejudice toward black people.

It could be said that the anti-black rhetoric was instigated by colonialism. Rejecting blackness meant that non-black people of colour (POC) realised that close proximity to whiteness could aid their own survival.

In the same way, colonialism has negatively impacted many Desi households, the black community has been affected by the oppression that continues to this day.

Slavery has become a very sad part of black history which was enforced by white supremacists.

Ironically, the stigma of ‘blackness’ still exists within Desi households as well.

Anti-black racism is almost embedded in South Asian communities as a result of caste and skin colour discrimination.

It is frequently witnessed in matchmaking scenarios for South Asians when it comes to marriage. If the prospective groom or bride are dark in skin colour it is seen as a negative attribute, irrespective of the personality of the person.

Adverts in some matchmaking websites still request the bride to be ‘fair in complexion’.

Even racism towards other faiths is often heard of where people of a darker colour skin are stigmatised for following a lower caste-led faith.

In a country like the UK, where skin colour is a somewhat controversial matter, anti-black racism is all too common and casual.

In order to make a change within the community, Desi households must first acknowledge that an anti-black stigma does exist within the community.

As a result of external prejudice, many South Asians choose to believe stereotypes associated with other groups and cultures.

Black people not originating from South Asia are often tagged with stereotypical profiles. Feeling intimidated and uncomfortable around black people and using racial slurs are both examples of interpersonal symptoms of anti-blackness.

These stereotypical views are also caused by a lack of integration with other communities.

New generations of South Asians are key in eliminating such prejudice which has been put in place by older generations.

Use of words like ‘kala’ and ‘kali’ (black person), ‘gora’ and gori’ (white person), when used in a derogative and negative manner in Desi households is a blatant form of racism which needs to end.

However, contextually, some would argue that these words may be the common way to describe an individual’s identity.

When racial discrimination occurs in Desi households, as it does in other community households in the opposite way; it is no different and therefore, shows no or little progress in changing attitudes.

As a community, South Asians can help make a change to stand with black people in a variety of ways.

The most important step is to confront casual racism and colourism. This can be achieved peacefully.

Having an effective conversation with family, taking the time to first educate yourself about systematic racism, privilege, and oppression, call all go a long way.

Jasmine Mudan, a blogger and activist, says:

“The injustices faced by the black community are on a much higher level compared to the injustices felt by other ethnic minority groups.”

“Our experiences with racism and discrimination as South Asians don’t need to be brought up in every race conversation; we can’t relate to every situation either.”

“As a community, we need to learn to take a step back sometimes and understand that racism doesn’t affect us solely.”

Older generations are not to be excused for casual derogatory racist remarks. On the path to educating yourself, educating family members is an important step. Do not be complicit.

The conversation will most likely be uncomfortable for many South Asian communities as it is not a topic that is openly discussed.

Whilst the majority of young South Asians in the UK today are open to change and a more accepting role in society, the older generations may still need convincing to take a step forward. Some will even resist such re-thinking.

It is fair to say while the South Asian community also faces discrimination, it is still privileged to a large degree, due to the hard work and efforts put in by the elders who set-up Britain as their home after migrating here.

Therefore, Desi households should use their privilege to educate as many people as they can.

Our experiences and feelings are valid. However, we have to support all communities regardless of how much support is returned.

Racism is unfortunately not a thing of the past yet, and it won’t end until the conversation starts.

As a community, Desi people living in the UK need to challenge themselves by continuing these conversations in their households.

Everyone has the power to help eliminate prejudice and racism in Desi communities but change can only take place with a desire and determination to make it really happen no matter at what level.

The Lawspeaker
07-19-2020, 11:48 PM
Hahaha ! They are next to be destroyed.

Thambi
07-20-2020, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure if its 'racism' exactly but there is a lot of issues with color, caste, regions, etc. even within families people look down on their darker family members and try to make them 'fair' since day one.

El_Abominacion
07-20-2020, 12:23 AM
I heavily dislike the narrative this article churns out. It's too whiny and SJWish, fingers are being pointed as per usual as if some other group is responsible for South Asian racism. No, it happens from within and it's far worse than white people racism which barely even exists here anymore.

Anyways, yes, South Asians are racist in general, usually towards black people. Just to look at a few points:

Due to internalised racism, one may begin to develop self-hatred towards their physical appearance.

Yes, a common theme amongst South Asians

Interracial, or mixed-race, couples are not common amongst South Asian communities.

In FOB communities? Not common at all, especially amongst older generations. In the past the rate of mixing was likely higher but there are so many here now that people form massive (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvcS-Op3dMg) enclaves, there are literally no other races in their vicinity to mix with. That, on top of massive cultural barriers that are enforced by these enclaves. Southall is a good example of this, you can very easily get by without speaking English because of how overwhelmingly Desi it is. There's no incentive to mix if you're surrounded by your own people/culture.

The celebration and acceptance of darker skin tones is a simple way to eliminate racism in Desi households but for it to be a reality is the challenge.

Never gonna happen lol

Older generations are not to be excused for casual derogatory racist remarks. On the path to educating yourself, educating family members is an important step. Do not be complicit.

This is a surefire way to get disowned

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2020, 12:31 AM
I heavily dislike the narrative this article churns out. It's too whiny and SJWish, fingers are being pointed as per usual as if some other group is responsible for South Asian racism. No, it happens from within and it's far worse than white people racism which barely even exists here anymore.

Anyways, yes, South Asians are racist in general, usually towards black people. Just to look at a few points:

Yes, a common theme amongst South Asians

In FOB communities? Not common at all, especially amongst older generations. In the past the rate of mixing was likely higher but there are so many here now that people form massive (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvcS-Op3dMg) enclaves, there are literally no other races in their vicinity to mix with. That, on top of massive cultural barriers that are enforced by these enclaves. Southall is a good example of this, you can very easily get by without speaking English because of how overwhelmingly Desi it is. There's no incentive to mix if you're surrounded by your own people/culture.

Never gonna happen lol

This is a surefire way to get disowned

Actually, IMO many people (especially but not exclusively on the Left) significantly underestimate how anti-White AND anti-Black a lot of South Asians are. (Albeit their reasons for disliking both groups are not entirely the same).

El_Abominacion
07-20-2020, 12:39 AM
Actually, IMO many people (especially but not exclusively on the Left) significantly underestimate how anti-White AND anti-Black a lot of South Asians are. (Albeit their reasons for disliking both groups are not entirely the same).

Anti-whiteness is far less prevalent in South Asian communities. The culture very heavily dictates that lighter skin is superior to darker skin, to some of the most extreme levels globally. People literally use bleaching creams as promoted by Bollywood actors to try for a lighter complexion, and the heavy majority of any interracial relationships that do occur in the UK are between South Asians and Whites. Anti-White sentiment is mostly limited to some ultranationalists who have a chip on their shoulder for colonialism and Churchill starving the population of West Bengal, or 2nd gen leftie virtue signalling youths (mostly girls, who still end up dating white men).

Trouble
07-20-2020, 12:44 AM
I havent seen any significant anti-black racism at least in my family. Most racism seems to be directed towards white people and east asians. In the case of east asians, they often have an undue superiority complex with regard to us despite having most of the same stereotypes which causes resentment.

The Lawspeaker
07-20-2020, 12:48 AM
^ Then get the hell out of a white country.

Trouble
07-20-2020, 12:52 AM
^ Then get the hell out of a white country.

i dont hate white people but some of my relatives do.

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2020, 12:55 AM
Anti-whiteness is far less prevalent in South Asian communities. The culture very heavily dictates that lighter skin is superior to darker skin, to some of the most extreme levels globally. People literally use bleaching creams as promoted by Bollywood actors to try for a lighter complexion, and the heavy majority of any interracial relationships that do occur in the UK are between South Asians and Whites. Anti-White sentiment is mostly limited to some ultranationalists who have a chip on their shoulder for colonialism and Churchill starving the population of West Bengal, or 2nd gen leftie virtue signalling youths (mostly girls, who still end up dating white men).

Liking lighter skin=/=liking White people. Even in Bollywood, apart from some extreme cases like Hrithik Roshan and Neil Mitin Mukesh, most actors still look within the normal range for India, even if a high number are at the lighter end of the spectrum. As you inferred yourself, South Asian communities are often extraordinarily insular and tight-knit, so pointing out that most interracial relationships involving South Asians are with Whites is more-or-less akin to pointing out that most British and Irish people who can speak a foreign language speak French.

The Lawspeaker
07-20-2020, 12:56 AM
i dont hate white people but some of my relatives do.

Then they should leave. The U.S is still a mainly White country. It was built by Whites for Whites.

El_Abominacion
07-20-2020, 01:06 AM
Liking lighter skin=/=liking White people. Even in Bollywood, apart from some extreme cases like Hrithik Roshan and Neil Mitin Mukesh, most actors still look within the normal range for India, even if a high number are at the lighter end of the spectrum. As you inferred yourself, South Asian communities are often extraordinarily insular and tight-knit, so pointing out that most interracial relationships involving South Asians are with Whites is more-or-less akin to pointing out that most British and Irish people who can speak a foreign language speak French.

Of course they're not mutually exclusive but you can easily view the general leaning of favour from the rate of interracial relationships. The rate of Black/South Asian children is so low that it wasn't even made into a category on the census. That second comparison is completely inaccurate because you're using an argument of cultural/numerical proximity of native people, in regards to FOB populations. Even if we were to go by that - the example of Southall I used earlier is one of a region that literally has more blacks than whites.

lameduck
07-20-2020, 01:07 AM
casual forms of racism exists among south aisan communities and it is taken for granted(which is very sad state), white people are much less racist now because of education on issue, other communities also need to take the issue head on , instead of brushing it under the carpet.

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2020, 01:16 AM
Of course they're not mutually exclusive but you can easily view the general leaning of favour from the rate of interracial relationships. The rate of Black/South Asian children is so low that it wasn't even made into a category on the census. That second comparison is completely inaccurate because you're using an argument of cultural/numerical proximity of native people, in regards to FOB populations. Even if we were to go by that - the example of Southall I used earlier is one of a region that literally has more blacks than whites.

Well there is the "Mixed Other" category. And as I have said before: just because it is true that many if not most South Asians don't regard intermarrying with Whites to be AS taboo as intermarrying with Blacks, doesn't mean that most jump for joy at the idea either. Don't confuse LESS stigma for NO stigma. (Don't forget that, as the article itself discusses, many South Asians won't even marry outside their caste, let alone anything as outre as an interracial marriage).

lameduck
07-20-2020, 01:20 AM

culture plays a huge role , white culture/beauty ideals are much less alien in south asia than black are , because of colonolism, english literate population and above all global nature of many white cultural aspects, so people will more likely to marry with them if they are to marry outside.

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2020, 01:25 AM
culture plays a huge role , white culture/beauty ideals are much less alien in south asia than black are , because of colonolism, english literate population and above all global nature of many white cultural aspects, so people will more likely to marry with them if they are to marry outside.

Jemima Goldsmith might have something to say about that... But I get your point.

El_Abominacion
07-20-2020, 01:28 AM
Well there is the "Mixed Other" category. And as I have said before: just because it is true that many if not most South Asians don't regard intermarrying with Whites to be AS taboo as intermarrying with Blacks, doesn't mean that most jump for joy at the idea either. Don't confuse LESS stigma for NO stigma. (Don't forget that, as the article itself discusses, many South Asians won't even mary outside their caste, let alone anything as outre as an interracial marriage).

My point was that there is no specific category for Asian/Black mixes as there is for example Asian/White. I'm aware of the 'other' category. As I said, there are massive enclaves like in Southall. I agree with your stance that while the stigma is less with White/Asian mixes it still exists, those enclaves form for a reason and the cultural clash is still large. When you marry a South Asian person you marry their whole family - family is extremely important in South Asian culture and if your family disproves of your choice (that is, if you're allowed to have one) you will be told to drop the idea, or you'll likely be disowned. I know people who've been in such a situation.

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2020, 01:38 AM
My point was that there is no specific category for Asian/Black mixes as there is for example Asian/White. I'm aware of the 'other' category. As I said, there are massive enclaves like in Southall. I agree with your stance that while the stigma is less with White/Asian mixes it still exists, those enclaves form for a reason and the cultural clash is still large. When you marry a South Asian person you marry their whole family - family is extremely important in South Asian culture and if your family disproves of your choice (that is, if you're allowed to have one) you will be told to drop the idea, or you'll likely be disowned. I know people who've been in such a situation.

Well exactly. While it is true that many South Asians have colour complexes of their own, whatever white/light skin worship they may have is to a considerable extent tempered by issues of culture, faith, identity and loyalty, in a way that I'd argue is actually a lot less true for SE Asian women, New World Black men and Mestizos of both genders.

Trouble
07-20-2020, 01:55 AM
Well exactly. While it is true that many South Asians have colour complexes of their own, whatever white/light skin worship they may have is to a considerable extent tempered by issues of culture, faith, identity and loyalty, in a way that I'd argue is actually a lot less true for SE Asian women, New World Black men and Mestizos of both genders.

Yea there are many factors. Thats why its not uncommon in couples for the male to be lighter than the female.

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2020, 02:00 AM
Yea there are many factors. Thats why its not uncommon in couples for the male to be lighter than the female.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/0YVwB7ydM58/maxresdefault.jpg:thumb001:

Trouble
07-20-2020, 02:01 AM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/0YVwB7ydM58/maxresdefault.jpg:thumb001:

Thats a minor difference and hardly noticeable. The difference between my parents and many couples in my family is stark. The women can be much darker.

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2020, 02:06 AM
Thats a minor difference and hardly noticeable. The difference between my parents and many couples in my family is stark. The women can be much darker.

Well ironically, Roshan's first wife was Sussanne Khan, who to me looks kind of Balkan Slav, even though the men in her family are actually quite dark and, well, typical North Indian.
https://st1.bollywoodlife.com/wp-content/uploads/photos/sussanne-khan-attends-kaabils-screening-with-brother-zayed-khan-201701-885842.jpghttps://i.ytimg.com/vi/MROTHTtblqw/hqdefault.jpg

Tooting Carmen
07-20-2020, 02:11 AM
Mind you, Roshan himself looks lighter than most of his family:
https://filmfare.wwmindia.com/content/2020/feb/thumbnail-hrithik1582283615.jpg

Red Pill
07-21-2020, 07:28 PM
https://www.desiblitz.com/content/the-question-of-racism-in-desi-households

When the British colonised South Asian countries, they manufactured the ideology that fair skin equates to superiority.

In order to keep up with western beauty standards, many South Asians choose to resort to skin lightening creams in an attempt to alter their skin colour.

Caste conflicts and discrimination are also issues amongst South Asian communities. Often, darker skin tones are associated with those of lower castes.

In India specifically, the caste system is maybe the world’s largest remaining social ranking.

The caste that an individual is born into can determine their life in the future, including their career, their societal role, and how they are treated by others.

The caste system in India long predates British colonialism. Higher castes, particularly the Brahmins, are lighter skinned, so the preference for light skin is associated with the caste system and thus predates colonialism. At most, European colonialism just reinforced this tendency. The article seems to blame everything on White Westerners, as usual in these times. Also the claim that Blacks had and have worse than everybody else because of slavery by whites is questionable at best and likely wrong. First of all, Westerners weren't the ones who invented slavery, it was almost universal until few centuries ago. And Westerners were the first ones who took steps to abolish slavery, a fact that is always forgotten in these debates. Furthermore, are we sure that a Black in, say, Jim Crow America had a worse life than somebody of the 'untouchable' caste in India until recent times? I remember I read many years ago that sometime after WW2 there was a famine in India. Other countries sent shiploads of food, but they were left to rotten in the port. The reason was that the food had been unloaded by the 'untouchables' and so nobody wanted to touch it. Do we blame this to Westerners too?

Pro.crasti.nation
08-31-2020, 03:29 PM
Horrible article. Typical SJW poison.

Desis are *extremely* racist and *snobbish*. The racism is usually an extension of the snobbishness. You want to be socially superior, you want others to acknowledge it, you want it to scream out loud.

I think this is the chief reason for the fairness worship.

Mostly, the colourism/racism is between desis of varying shades of brown.

The anti-black racism, is partly a desire to avoid association with blackness/darkness for snobbish reasons and partly just the conservative reaction to a population that are dramatically alien/different to desis.

One thing that needs to be noted though, is the anti-black feeling that comes from going to school with them.

I came from a small Northern town, never met a black person until I moved to London. Many of my desi friends were wildly racist against blacks.

I'd been brought up in a very English liberal environment, taught that black people have been persecuted by whites and that white people have a particularly morally questionable history with particular reference to blacks.

So it stunned me when these desi Londoners were so blatantly racist. I began SJWing them, browbeating them, talking about slavery, a history of victimisation ...

Then they responded with stories of deliberate and sustained bullying by the physically more developed black kids, at school.

I got mugged by black youths (I was a naive teen) and I saw the general pattern.

Although I'm not racist, I can understand how a bad history of bullying leads to this kind of hate.

I've had friends gleefully relate tales of blacks being beaten up, for venturing into Brick Lane and I've had a Nigerian friend tell me to stay away from certain parts of his neighbourhood, for fear of attack.

Pro.crasti.nation
08-31-2020, 03:38 PM
Duplicate post.

Tooting Carmen
08-31-2020, 03:59 PM
Horrible article. Typical SJW poison.

Desis are *extremely* racist and *snobbish*. The racism is usually an extension of the snobbishness. You want to be socially superior, you want others to acknowledge it, you want it to scream out loud.

I think this is the chief reason for the fairness worship.

Mostly, the colourism/racism is between desis of varying shades of brown.

The anti-black racism, is partly a desire to avoid association with blackness/darkness for snobbish reasons and partly just the conservative reaction to a population that are dramatically alien/different to desis.

One thing that needs to be noted though, is the anti-black feeling that comes from going to school with them.

I came from a small Northern town, never met a black person until I moved to London. Many of my desi friends were wildly racist against blacks.

I'd been brought up in a very English liberal environment, taught that black people have been persecuted by whites and that white people have a particularly morally questionable history with particular reference to blacks.

So it stunned me when these desi Londoners were so blatantly racist. I began SJWing them, browbeating them, talking about slavery, a history of victimisation ...

Then they responded with stories of deliberate and sustained bullying by the physically more developed black kids, at school.

I got mugged by black youths (I was a naive teen) and I saw the general pattern.

Although I'm not racist, I can understand how a bad history of bullying leads to this kind of hate.

I've had friends gleefully relate tales of blacks being beaten up, for venturing into Brick Lane and I've had a Nigerian friend tell me to stay away from certain parts of his neighbourhood, for fear of attack.

Many Desis don't really like Whites either, especially the older generations, though for sure their reasons are different from their dislike of Blacks and it is admittedly less virulent and widespread.

Pro.crasti.nation
08-31-2020, 05:26 PM
Many Desis don't really like Whites either, especially the older generations, though for sure their reasons are different from their dislike of Blacks and it is admittedly less virulent and widespread.

True, but that's usually Islam or politics based.

I once went to a South Indian computer shop, to but a hard drive (this was before Amazon/mid'90s), and was speaking Bangla with my dad, whilst waiting to pay for my 80MB drive.

The sticker price was £180 or something, and the white guy in front of me, paid the sticker price. Yet when I went up, the counter guy just asked if I was desi, I said yes and he said that he likes to over charge the white people, as revenge for colonialism!

Charged me £20 less!

There's little aesthetic stigma, attached to white people. Regardless the dislike/hatred. Although I think this is coming along in Muslim circles.

My ex once told me how many of her Pakistani girlfriends, told her not to date me. That I was *pale*, even though I was the same colour as her. Her friends are very brown and have the trash Kardashian aesthetic and are very butthurt about not being fair skinned.

I think most of the anti-white feeling, comes from the intense anti-white media and education environment in Britain.

It's teaching people to search for grievances and other toxic stuff.

Tooting Carmen
08-31-2020, 08:58 PM
I think most of the anti-white feeling, comes from the intense anti-white media and education environment in Britain.

It's teaching people to search for grievances and other toxic stuff.

Up to a point, though a lot of it well precedes that, and to pretend otherwise is to precisely adopt the patronising attitude towards ethnic minorities of "forgive them, for they know not what they do" that many on the Left have.

Chris596
08-31-2020, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately I know very few things about South Asian families and their households, personal views etc.

Are they racist towards Black people because of the still strong caste system or is it because there are practically 0 Blacks living there? (I'm talking about Blacks as Sub-Saharan ,,Negroids'')

Tooting Carmen
08-31-2020, 09:02 PM
Unfortunately I know very few things about South Asian families and their households, personal views etc.

Are they racist towards Black people because of the still strong caste system or is it because there are practically 0 Blacks living there? (I'm talking about Blacks as Sub-Saharan ,,Negroids'')

More the former.

Sheva
08-31-2020, 09:41 PM
While they do favor light skin they still dislike and look down on white people as much as anyone who isn't from their region, clan or caste.
If a white man ask for their daughters hand in marriage they would go ballistic.

Pro.crasti.nation
08-31-2020, 10:11 PM
Up to a point, though a lot of it well precedes that, and to pretend otherwise is to precisely adopt the patronising attitude towards ethnic minorities of "forgive them, for they know not what they do" that many on the Left have.

I can only talk about what I've seen and heard here, in England. So obviously, the narratives of victimhood, that we are taught, literally from infancy, is foremost in my mind, when it comes to this racism.

There are other factors, that we can speculate about, from the purity obsession of Hinduism and caste and how that plays in an environment where the natives are outside of the system. There's resentment and insecurities that are rooted in skin colour and the long-standing values attached to it. And perhaps there's an Islamic element from Mughal times, as William Dalrymple writes, where the types of British people that the Mughal court entertained, initially, were rough and ready adventurers and mercenaries, leading to racist notions that Brits were born of Sri Lankan women (from The Last Mughal) and dogs or something...

The Mughal court was a very racist and supremacist environment, and many South Asian Muslims retain a little of that entitlement and obnoxious behaviour.

Other than that, I don't really see any other factors that could be at play.

The upper caste Brahmins are supposed to never cross the ocean or something, iirc. It makes them impure.

Though much of the reincarnation notion, basically destroys racialised thinking. There's no saying what your next life will be nor any relationship of blood that extends beyond this life ...

lameduck
08-31-2020, 10:40 PM
While they do favor light skin they still dislike and look down on white people as much as anyone who isn't from their region, clan or caste.
If a white man ask for their daughters hand in marriage they would go ballistic.

only religious pakis dislike whites , educated pakis respect white people and like to take inspiration for nation building process , in conservative socieities women are linked to honour and this is another complex issue , people even go voilant on their daughters for marrying outside their tribes.

Tooting Carmen
08-31-2020, 10:50 PM
only religious pakis dislike whites

Be that as it may, that is a high percentage of the population.

in conservative societies women are linked to honour and this is another complex issue, people even go violemt on their daughters for marrying outside their tribes.

Now that is true.

Westbrook
08-31-2020, 11:28 PM
Why does it seem like little Indian boys always have that same haircut
Well ironically, Roshan's first wife was Sussanne Khan, who to me looks kind of Balkan Slav, even though the men in her family are actually quite dark and, well, typical North Indian.
https://st1.bollywoodlife.com/wp-content/uploads/photos/sussanne-khan-attends-kaabils-screening-with-brother-zayed-khan-201701-885842.jpghttps://i.ytimg.com/vi/MROTHTtblqw/hqdefault.jpg