PDA

View Full Version : Occiputal projection and head length on the Apricity...

Barreldriver
03-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Curious as to how diverse these traits are on the Apricity, here's an example of my occiputal projection and head length:

Skull is 203.2 mm long, and my occiput Alpinoidish

]

Now lets see what others here are.

My comparison with an Alpinoid, the occiput is of a very similar stock and on another note so is the contour of my nose, but that's another discussion entirely:

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k438/ragnarok1227/gl-alpinid.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k438/ragnarok1227/100_6485-1.jpg

Loki
03-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Your head length is not very visible, due to the long hair. :)

Barreldriver
03-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Your head length is not very visible, due to the long hair. :)

I took the measurement when I had my head shaved, when my buds get the video footage compiled I'll post that, it's quite funny. What isn't shown in my pics is my occiput is actually round, the pic does distort that, hence why I mentioned it being round.

The actual roundedness of my occiput is why I think there's visible Alpinoidism in my type, but back on topic, Apricity goers give it a go, let loose and show your cranium lol.

Allenson
03-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Here are my cranial stats:

head length: 203mm
head breadth: 153mm
CI: 75.3

My occiput is rounded but not particularly projecting.

Barreldriver
03-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Here are my cranial stats:

head length: 203mm
head breadth: 153mm
CI: 75.3

My occiput is rounded but not particularly projecting.

We're quite comparable in the measurment zone, mine is just over 203 mm. Mine is also not particularly projecting and a bit rounded. I wonder how common this is amongst U.S. citizens of European ancestry? Could it be the result of an adaptation of European phenotypes to the American climates and lifestyles? I'm curious to see how frequent these figures occur to determine whether or not there is a trend amongst Euro Americans.

Allenson
03-27-2009, 01:15 PM
I wonder how common this is amongst U.S. citizens of European ancestry? Could it be the result of an adaptation of European phenotypes to the American climates and lifestyles? I'm curious to see how frequent these figures occur to determine whether or not there is a trend amongst Euro Americans.

I've wondered what kinds of phenotypic selections have happened in the new world myself. I don't think this type of thinking is applicable to the products of more recent immigration but once one gets past five generations here in the New World, and in some cases, approaching ten, there might be something to it.

Is there an old stock American look? Perhaps so. The Aussies seem to have taken on their own unique appearance in many cases, so maybe there's something to this here too....

I can recognize certain types around here, based on ancestry. There are a lot of people of French-Canadian heritage here in northern New England and in general, they have a different look to them than do what is left of the old Yankee stock (English). The Guerrins and the Beaudettes tend to be more Alpinid & Atlanto-Med whereas the Thurstons and the Fowlers are a bit taller, lighter in hair & eye pigmentation and approach something like a 'Kelto-Saxon'....but, not in a classic English sense, mind you.

I could ramble about this stuff all day long. ;)

Barreldriver
03-27-2009, 01:19 PM
I've wondered what kinds of phenotypic selections have happened in the new world myself. I don't think this type of thinking is applicable to the products of more recent immigration but once one gets past five generations here in the New World, and in some cases, approaching ten, there might be something to it.

Is there an old stock American look? Perhaps so. The Aussies seem to have taken on their own unique appearance in many cases, so maybe there's something to this here too....

There was a discussion on Anthroforum about British Isle'sesque types that may have become "virtually extinct" in Britain via Colonial migrations, the people that made up the Colonials perhaps had some traits that were once quite common in the Isle's but after such a large portion of people leaving those types became more rare, a similar effect to that of the Black Death era, imagine all the different Brits that existed before the plague. There's common traits unifying them all, but slight variances might have come and gone with the Colonials.

chap
03-30-2009, 10:36 PM
My head is around 215mm long.

Allenson
03-31-2009, 01:46 PM
That's one big melon, Chap.

Barreldriver
03-31-2009, 02:28 PM
My head is around 215mm long.

dang, and I thought I had a big head lol.

Barreldriver
04-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Since I can't edit the OP, here's my occiput, I was a bit mistaken about the shape due to the distortion of my long hair, it's kinda projecting&verticle, not rounded like I had thought before:
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k438/ragnarok1227/99.jpg

Beorn
04-04-2009, 01:53 PM
What is the best way - with little margins for error - to measure your own head and features?

Barreldriver
04-04-2009, 01:56 PM
What is the best way - with little margins for error - to measure your own head and features?

Calipers are the best, however since I don't have any I used a carpenters ruler, it's a folding ruler that you can fold to the shape of calipers then measure the distance in between, it's best if you have one with locking joints that way you can lock them into place once they're fitted to the skull and they won't move once you remove the formed rule from the skull.

Frigga
04-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Photobucket deleted both of your posted pictures. I couldn't access them.

Loki
04-04-2009, 03:26 PM

LOL ... were they that offensive to the eye? :D

Barreldriver
04-04-2009, 03:45 PM

I got them back up, I accidentally deleted them, was emptying my old album and making a new one, hit the occiput pics by accident.

Psychonaut
04-04-2009, 05:31 PM
I have an extremely rounded occiput. I should see about measuring myself, since that might clear up some of the confusion regarding my classification.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3620/3326713989_e11bb4fb93_o.jpg

Barreldriver
04-06-2009, 02:16 AM
^idk, it seems a bit rhombus like to me, Nordoidish, it's not a soft round like Alpinoids and Borreby's, it has a more jagged look to it, so I wouldn't say that it's "rounded" in the UP sense.

Psychonaut
04-06-2009, 02:47 AM
^idk, it seems a bit rhombus like to me, Nordoidish, it's not a soft round like Alpinoids and Borreby's, it has a more jagged look to it, so I wouldn't say that it's "rounded" in the UP sense.

I think you might be using the word "round" a bit differently than I am. When we're talking about occiputs, you're either planoccipital (possessing a flat occiput) or roundoccipital (possessing a round occiput).

http://www.theapricity.com/snpa/bilder/planoccipital.jpg

It's not a hard and fast rule like it is for Dinarids, but UP typed tend to be planoccipital (with Alpinids being an outstanding exception to that trend).

Barreldriver
04-06-2009, 02:59 AM
I think you might be using the word "round" a bit differently than I am. When we're talking about occiputs, you're either planoccipital (possessing a flat occiput) or roundoccipital (possessing a round occiput).

http://www.theapricity.com/snpa/bilder/planoccipital.jpg

It's not a hard and fast rule like it is for Dinarids, but UP typed tend to be planoccipital (with Alpinids being an outstanding exception to that trend).

oh lol I thought you meant rounded in the sense of Alpinoid bowling ball head.

Leon_C
02-02-2013, 05:14 PM
My head is like a slightly longer narrower dinarid skull, it's length is 193mm and width is 15.2 mm so my CI is between 78 and 80, I look brachy from the side because I lack occipital projection but the top of my head looks like a long (ish) oval