PDA

View Full Version : German far-right party allowed to use 'step on the gas' poster

European blood
09-13-2011, 08:10 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yMkVpMptVlE/Tk5FtVeoiAI/AAAAAAAAEnA/Ngkw39m8AcA/s1600/gasgeben.jpg

A German far-right party has been permitted to put up election posters in Berlin that said 'step on the gas' which some see as a provocative reminder of the Holocaust after a court dismissed a ban on their use.

Authorities in the left-leaning Berlin district of Kreuzberg had ordered the removal of the posters, one of which has as a slogan "Gas geben" (Step on It) or literally "give gas" in what some see as a reference to Nazi gas chambers.

Another provocative poster has a dark-skinned man, a woman with a headscarf and a man with what appears to be a turban sitting on a flying carpet with the slogan: "Have a good flight home."

But the administrative court in Berlin ruled the posters did not break German laws relating to the incitement to racial hatred or the publication of anti-constitutional material.

It could not be proven that the "gas" posters deliberately meant to raise associations with Nazi atrocities, the court added.

The National Democratic Party of Germany (NPD), which recently merged with the small far-right German People's Union (DVU), was set up in 1964 by former Nazis. In 2009 it had between 6,000 and 7,000 members.

It has never won seats in the country's federal parliament but has gained representation in several regional parliaments, most recently in the eastern states of Saxony and Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.

In elections in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, northern Germany on Sunday, the party lost support but still looked likely to clear the five-percent hurdle for representation.

The Berlin regional election takes place on September 18 with polls showing Mayor Klaus Wowereit, a Social Democrat, likely to win re-election.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/8747832/German-far-right-party-allowed-to-use-step-on-the-gas-poster.html

BiałaZemsta
09-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Do any German members here support the NPD?

Zankapfel
09-13-2011, 08:17 PM
It's a word that lends itself to double-entendre only if taken in a historical context - which isn't entirely accurate anyway.

I don't see why they shouldn't let the posters stick.

Loki
09-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Good to see Germans have a sense of humour! :)

Zankapfel
09-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Good to see Germans have a sense of humour! :)

Phlegy and I would resent this comment :p

The rest of the world should just get a better grasp of Galgenhumor.

Troll's Puzzle
09-14-2011, 11:44 PM
What's funny to me about the poster is the 70's style bouffant hairdo and 'tash Mr. Voigt appears to be sporting.

clad in leather, Rrrrrrrrrrr! :D

Osweo
09-15-2011, 01:23 AM
What's funny to me about the poster is the 70's style bouffant hairdo and 'tash Mr. Voigt appears to be sporting.

clad in leather, Rrrrrrrrrrr! :D

God bless the Ost! :p

Those Slav genes are irrepressible...;)

Hehe, I remember at University, many moons ago... Me and my mates (about half a dozen of us, with one lad from Darmstadt) used to drink Guinness every night for several hours. We even mused on formalising the arrangement by getting recognition from the Students' Union as a proper club. All we needed was a name...

"How about simply the 'Guinness Appreciation Society'?" one said.

"What?" said I, "Gunther can't be a member of a club called 'G.A.S'!" :D