PDA

View Full Version : Province of Messina, Sicily

Inquizzitor2
08-30-2020, 08:14 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post under my new screenname. I was Inquizzitor but lost my password and couldn't find it so I have reincarnated as Inquizzitor2.

As a person of (part) Messinese descent, I am curious about the genetics of the Province of Messina specifically. My understanding is that it is midway between the Sicilian average and Calabrian DNA (especially southern Calabria). Can anyone share pure Province of Messina (any town/village) samples? My understanding is that Messina plots the furthest south and east of any Sicilian province, although there is a wide variety present in Palermo and I have seen Palermo outliers plotting closer to Cyprus (as well as closer to Northwest Europe).

Leto
08-30-2020, 09:07 PM
If you're 1/4 Sicilian and 3/4 NW Euro, you probably plot in Southern Germany, France or Switzerland.

Inquizzitor2
08-30-2020, 09:13 PM
I am actually 1/8th Messinese, 1/8th Central France (on the border of Limousin and Indre departments), and the rest is primarily English with large amounts of Scottish and smaller amounts of Irish and much more distant German.

I think I plot west Germany..

Leto
08-30-2020, 09:20 PM
I am actually 1/8th Messinese, 1/8th Central France (on the border of Limousin and Indre departments), and the rest is primarily English with large amounts of Scottish and smaller amounts of Irish and much more distant German.

I think I plot west Germany..
Interesting how your Italian side is so distant. Most Italians in the U.S. came there just before or right after WW1 as far as I know. But most did not choose to mix with non-Italians.

Inquizzitor2
08-30-2020, 09:31 PM
Yes, well my great-grandfather immigrated from a small village outside Messina with his family as a young man and soon after went to fight for the US in World War I, and while on campaign in France he met my great-grandmother, a French woman. Married her and brought her back to NY. He was the only one to marry a non-Sicilian and my grandfather still grew up in the Sicilian enclave.