PDA

View Full Version : How We Eat: Appetite, Culture.

Tannhauser
09-03-2020, 02:11 PM
1. How many meals do you have per day?
2. What time of day do you eat your largest meal?
3. Do you skip meals often?
4. Have you fasted?
5. What is the weirdest food you have eaten?

calxpal
09-03-2020, 02:23 PM
1. 2-3 meals a day
2. Dinner (usually between 6-8 pm)
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Either quail eggs or crispy fried alligator :D

Chris596
09-03-2020, 02:29 PM
Nice thread

1. 3 meals, occasionally 4 (a smaller one)
2. lunch (between 1-3 PM)
3. It happens weekly
4. Yes I used to fast but because of religious reasons with my parents
5. Chicken brain or mussels

Laly
09-03-2020, 02:31 PM
1. Normally, three meals. Sometimes, I have a high tea.
2. My largest meal is sometimes at lunch, sometimes at dinner.
3. Yes, it regularly happens that I forget/don't want to eat.
4. Yes, I have fasted.
5. Maybe insects.

Mr.G
09-03-2020, 02:35 PM
1. How many meals do you have per day? 4-5, tend to be on the small side.
2. What time of day do you eat your largest meal? Lunch.
3. Do you skip meals often? No, never, I like eating too much to do that.
4. Have you fasted? Nope.
5. What is the weirdest food you have eaten? Hmmm, nothing too exotic that I can recall, I have had Ostrich jerky.

Laly
09-03-2020, 02:35 PM
Nice thread

1. 3 meals, occasionally 4 (a smaller one)
2. lunch (between 1-3 PM)
3. It happens weekly
4. Yes I used to fast but because of religious reasons with my parents

Mussels? That's one of the most common meals in Belgium. Belgians are crazy about mussels and they would think what you say is weird. :)

Chris596
09-03-2020, 02:54 PM
Mussels? That's one of the most common meals in Belgium. Belgians are crazy about mussels and they would think what you say is weird. :)

Right! :D It was just unusual for me because it's uncommon here (in Hungary and Eastern Europe in general). But I liked it. Where have you eaten insects, may I ask you?

stellan
09-03-2020, 03:00 PM
1. 1-2
2. Around 8
3. Yeah but not intentionally
4. Yes
5. I don't think I've eaten anything weird

Faklon
09-03-2020, 03:05 PM
1-2 big meals a day, usually one with meat (chicken>pork>lamb) and one salad (lettuce, olives, tomatoes, onions). I may take an apple, some pasteli (nuts with honey) or yogurt inbetween.
noon/afternoon
nah
sometimes
McDonalds, lamb's testicles and black pudding

Mussels? That's one of the most common meals in Belgium. Belgians are crazy about mussels and they would think what you say is weird.

I have noticed that many Western and Northern Europeans love mussels but detest squid and octopus, kinda strange to my pov.

Laly
09-03-2020, 03:06 PM
Right! :D It was just unusual for me because it's uncommon here (in Hungary and Eastern Europe in general). But I liked it. Where have you eaten insects, may I ask you?

In an animal park in Wallonia, which was "named the Best Zoo in Europe by the Diamond Themepark Awards for the last three years (2018-2020)". :)

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/pairi-daiza-walrus-room-belgium/index.html

Dušan
09-03-2020, 03:20 PM
4. Have you fasted?

1. and 2. I eat several times a day, around 6. :cool:
After waking up in 7:30H, I just eat a bit of bread with something, so I could drink my morning coffee.
My real breakfast is at 9:00-9:30.
Lunch is 13:00-14:00 and it is largest meal.
My afternoon coffee is 15:30 - 16:00 and than I eat something sweet.
Dinner is at 20h.
I am going to sleep around midnight, and just before go to bed, I eat a bit too.;)

3. I try not to skip meals. I dont feel well when I am hungry and get very nervious.

4. I fast only two times every year - Christmas Eve and Good Friday. In Orthodox fast it is forbiden meat, milk, eggs and all products made of them. I would like to fast more days as it Church prescribes, but I didnt for now.

5. I dont know, some Thailand food. Only once and never again.

Terminator98
09-03-2020, 03:21 PM
1.5-6
2.After training
3.No
4.No
5.Fried snake, when I was in Italy

El_Abominacion
09-03-2020, 03:29 PM
1. How many meals do you have per day? 2
2. What time of day do you eat your largest meal? 3-5pm
3. Do you skip meals often? no
4. Have you fasted? In the past yes
5. What is the weirdest food you have eaten? I'm a big fan of octopus

I eat a lot, usually 3000+ calories on workout days. I drink at least 2l of milk daily also

gixajo
09-03-2020, 03:39 PM

Octopus is a weird food???

El_Abominacion
09-03-2020, 03:40 PM

In the UK it definitely is considered so. Like Faklon said, Octopus and Squid are not popular at all here

Faklon
09-03-2020, 03:42 PM

Octopus in a norm around the Mediterranean and East-Asia, I don't know why it is considered an "alt-food" in Britain. Even more surprising was the reaction of an Icelandic guy, he was shocked I could eat the "Kraken".

RandomGuy20
09-03-2020, 03:43 PM
1. 3-4
2. 4-7pm (usually after i excersise)
3. Only if I'm wrapped up in work/a project.
4. No
5. Crepes

Universe
09-03-2020, 03:43 PM
3 or 4. Rarely 5.

All of them are of similar size.

No

4. Have you fasted?
Yes, to lose weight and I succeeded.

Sea food on the croatian coast, I found it disgusting.

RandomGuy20
09-03-2020, 03:44 PM
I drink at least 2l of milk daily also

Mad respect

Universe
09-03-2020, 03:44 PM

In Hungary yes.

El_Abominacion
09-03-2020, 03:45 PM
Octopus in a norm around the Mediterranean and East-Asia, I don't know why it is considered an "alt-food" in Britain. Even more surprising was the reaction of an Icelandic guy, he was shocked I could eat the "Kraken".

People here have generally more mundane tastes. I've never been to a restaurant in the UK that prepares octopus, and have only ever been able to eat it in Spain

gixajo
09-03-2020, 03:53 PM
1. How many meals do you have per day? -Actually 2 (lunch and dinner), for breakfast I only take a coffe.
2. What time of day do you eat your largest meal? -30-40 min
3. Do you skip meals often? -No
4. Have you fasted? -
5. What is the weirdest food you have eaten? - Nothing strange in Spain, but maybe in other countries is, "callos" (lamb trpes),"mollejas or litiruelas"(pork gizzards) and "caracoles" (snails)quite often and only2-3 times in my whole life, "sesos" (pork or lamb brain) , or "criadillas"(pork or lamb testicles). "angulas" (glass eel/eel fry) could be strange also for foreigners.

Octopus for me, it´s not a strange food as El_Abominación said.I like it very much.

https://i.imgur.com/7JxOcaZ.jpg

gixajo
09-03-2020, 03:56 PM
In the UK it definitely is considered so. Like Faklon said, Octopus and Squid are not popular at all here

Did you taste, "chipirones en su tinta" (squid in its "ink")?

Here is quite common eat them, I like it too.:thumb001:

https://i.imgur.com/r870B8s.jpg

El_Abominacion
09-03-2020, 03:58 PM

The ink is edible? I had no idea, would like to try that some day. What does it taste like?

mitalit
09-03-2020, 04:02 PM

Delicioso, una alemana que vino de intercambio casi vomita cuando mis padres se lo pusieron

gixajo
09-03-2020, 04:07 PM

Better, more for us. They do not know what they lose.;)

gixajo
09-03-2020, 04:09 PM
Delicioso, una alemana que vino de intercambio casi vomita cuando mis padres se lo pusieron

Les suele echar para atrás el color, pero una vez que lo prueban suele gustarles mucho.

Yo si hay en el menú si como en un restaurante solía pedirlo, lo malo es que se te queda la boca medio negra...:D

gixajo
09-03-2020, 04:10 PM
The ink is edible? I had no idea, would like to try that some day. What does it taste like?

It´s edible and it´s fantastic, the problem is that your mouth will look black during a time.:D

gixajo
09-03-2020, 04:12 PM
People here have generally more mundane tastes. I've never been to a restaurant in the UK that prepares octopus, and have only ever been able to eat it in Spain

Surely you can find a Galician restaurant in London, you can find anything in London, octopus is a Galician typical food .

El_Abominacion
09-03-2020, 04:31 PM
Surely you can find a Galician restaurant in London, you can find anything in London, octopus is a Galician typical food .

There are probably a lot of Spanish restaurants in high-end London, we had a big influx of Spanish immigrants over the last few decades. Vast majority live in more upper class parts of London in the West and Centre, I live in a very shitty part of London and haven't seen many Spanish in my area or any Spanish restaurants. I'll need to go around Marylebone or another nicer area to find some

Finnish Swede
09-03-2020, 04:33 PM
Breakfast 6 - 7, Lunch 11:30 - 13, Dinner 19 - 20.

The main/clearly day's largest one is (hands down) Lunch. Dinner is opposite very light vs Central Europeans ... just coffee + sandwich + fruit. I simply will not feel good if I eat too much in the evenings (before I'll go to sleep).

Skip one of those? Not really.

Weirdest food? Blue mussels or snails.

Frowning Man
09-03-2020, 05:04 PM
1) I eat as much as I want. Probably on average I eat 6 times a day, sometimes more than 8.
2) Most of all I eat probably at lunchtime and in the evening.
3) I do not have a diet. I just try not to feel hungry. When I am hungry, I am very angry and I have a very bad mood. 4) No
5) I don't know. I haven't eaten anything weird.

Ford
09-03-2020, 05:06 PM
1. 2-3 meals
2. Dinner usually
3. More often than I should
4. Yes
5. Probably horse

Faklon
09-03-2020, 06:16 PM
Better, more for us. They do not know what they lose.;)

Interestingly, these dishes are also more expensive than mussels here.

gixajo
09-03-2020, 06:18 PM

In Italian restaurants maybe you could find also octopus, at least I ate "pasta with polipetto"(pasta with little octopus) in Naples,and many popular restaurants offer octopus there, but at least in 2000 year, Italian restaurants in London were too expensive.

Laly
09-03-2020, 07:42 PM

I love that!

The Lawspeaker
09-03-2020, 09:02 PM
1. Usually 2.
2. Usually in the morning
3. During winter ? No. During summer ? Regularly.
4. Yes.
5. Dried fish.

Sora
09-03-2020, 09:07 PM
4. Have you fasted?

1) 2 times
2) It changes day by day
3) No, I always eat meals at time
4) Yes, I fast a month(Ramadan) in a year
5) Dragon fruit (not meal, I know but nothing came across my mind)

Tannhauser
09-03-2020, 09:11 PM
5. Maybe insects.

Haha, you're like Ulev, he likes insects too!

PaleoEuropean
09-03-2020, 09:14 PM
1. How many meals do you have per day? 2-3
2. What time of day do you eat your largest meal? dinner
3. Do you skip meals often? breakfast sometimes lunch
4. Have you fasted? all the time
5. What is the weirdest food you have eaten? lamb brain

Laly
09-03-2020, 09:15 PM
Haha, you're like Ulev, he likes insects too!

Actually, I am not really fond of it, but I tasted. :) Have you eaten insects?

Tannhauser
09-03-2020, 09:32 PM
1. How many meals do you have per day? -Actually 2 (lunch and dinner), for breakfast I only take a coffe.
2. What time of day do you eat your largest meal? -30-40 min
3. Do you skip meals often? -No
4. Have you fasted? -
5. What is the weirdest food you have eaten? - Nothing strange in Spain, but maybe in other countries is, "callos" (lamb trpes),"mollejas or litiruelas"(pork gizzards) and "caracoles" (snails)quite often and only2-3 times in my whole life, "sesos" (pork or lamb brain) , or "criadillas"(pork or lamb testicles). "angulas" (glass eel/eel fry) could be strange also for foreigners.

Octopus for me, it´s not a strange food as El_Abominación said.I like it very much.

Yes you misses merienda (afternoon coffee/tea).

I am shocked that sea food is label as weird food. I guess if sesos and criadillas are not common 'achuras' and other animal parts are as well.

gixajo
09-03-2020, 09:42 PM
Yes you misses merienda (afternoon coffee/tea).

I am shocked that sea food is label as weird food. I guess if sesos and criadillas are not common 'achuras' and other animal parts are as well.

I posted what i do in a rutinary day, free days and when I have some celebration, I can do "almuerzo"(between breakfast and lunch) and "merienda"(between lunch and dinner).

I did "merienda" most often when I was a child.

In Basque "almuerzo" can be called "hamarretako"(for ten o´clock food) or "hamaiketako"(for eleven o´clock food), and less commonly "hamabietako" (12:00 food).

"almuerzo" is related with farmers, that usually did a little "break" in the morning to restock on energy after a hard work, and before continuing with it.

We can do also "vermut", that is eat something in a bar taking vermouth(or any other drink) just before lunch, for example "pinchos", but I rarely do social life in bars.

Tannhauser
09-03-2020, 10:07 PM
Actually, I was not really fond of it, but I tasted. :) Have you eaten insects?

No that i remember.

1. 3 meals + afternoon coffee or mate (I usually drink mate at 10 a.m). Lunch 13-14hr, Coffee 16-17hr, Dinner 21-22hr Something sweet between meals.
2. Sometimes lunch or dinner, i like dinner be the largest.
3. I don´t like miss me any meal but sometimes i miss lunch bc of work.
4. I have never fasted in my entire life until quarentine when at first I had big breakfasts and did not eat lunch.
5. If sea food is rare for some I suppose that some of these animals that I have eaten are too: Llama, yacaré, carpincho/capibara, frog legs, ñandu egg, most of the sea food, eel, otter.

Tannhauser
09-03-2020, 10:10 PM
In Basque "almuerzo" can be called "hamarretako"(for ten o´clock food) or "hamaiketako"(for eleven o´clock food), and less commonly "hamabietako" (12:00 food).

You are locos.

We can do also "vermut", that is eat something in a bar taking vermouth(or any other drink) just before lunch, for example "pinchos", but I rarely do social life in bars.

I see vermouth as an anachronistic ritual.

gixajo
09-03-2020, 10:18 PM
You are locos.

I see vermouth as an anachronistic ritual.

Por aquí se puso de nuevo a la moda hace unos años.

Helen
09-03-2020, 11:12 PM
1. 3/4

2. Lunch

3. Sometimes breakfast

4. No

5. Probably snails, rabbit and salty dried fish

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Mortimer
09-03-2020, 11:24 PM

1 sometimes 2 in the past it was 3 but I reduced

11.30am - 14pm somewhere in that time

I regulary skip dinner or supper

4. Have you fasted?

I trie fridays not to eat meat and sweets/chocolate/candies but shrimps or vegetables, fish and fruits. But Im not always succesful

Nothing that weird so far

Daco Celtic
09-03-2020, 11:32 PM
1. How many meals do you have per day? 4-5
2. What time of day do you eat your largest meal? Dinner
3. Do you skip meals often? No
4. Have you fasted? No
5. What is the weirdest food you have eaten? Horse meat, shark fin soup, shrimp still alive on bed of rice (sushi), Chapulines (grasshoppers eaten in Mexico)

Hawkguy
09-03-2020, 11:55 PM
1- 3 meals a day.
2- Lunch
3- No
4- Yes
5- I've eaten farofa with tanajura (An ant species). But I prefer a normal farofa to eat on the barbecue or feijoada. haha

Tannhauser
09-06-2020, 02:22 PM

My fav like this with white wine.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lwc9fht7xs8/Vc3mK5eTX-I/AAAAAAAAbqc/1Usut4iq_hs/s1600/calamarettigrillati.jpg

linguine al nero di seppia(ink) con frutti di mare, they are not a regular dish but in fancy places you can get this:

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=102010&d=1599405455
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/12/9e/45/09/linguine-nero.jpg

Tannhauser
04-20-2021, 12:45 AM
Bump.

Linebacker
04-20-2021, 12:56 AM
Never been a foodie myself. I see food as something I have to eat not to die.

I never go to restaurants or eat any fancy foods.

Celestia
04-20-2021, 12:58 AM
I am a complete foodie.

1. 2 or 3 meals
2. Dinner
3. I occasionally skip breakfast and just have a coffee
4. Yes
5. I’ve tried lots of weird foods. I guess frog legs, crickets on pizza.. But what I disliked the most was Doro Wot and Injera..it was the texture of the bread that didn’t settle with my stomach at all.

Tannhauser
04-20-2021, 01:08 AM
I am a complete foodie.

1. 2 or 3 meals
2. Dinner
3. I occasionally skip breakfast and just have a coffee
4. Yes
5. I’ve tried lots of weird foods. I guess frog legs, crickets on pizza.. But what I disliked the most was Doro Wot and Injera..it was the texture of the bread that didn’t settle with my stomach at all.

lol, explain a bit more you really tried this, were they fried?

https://i.imgur.com/jmhM6jj.jpg

Celestia
04-20-2021, 01:15 AM
lol, explain a bit more you really try this, were they fried?

https://i.imgur.com/jmhM6jj.jpg

yes they were fried. They had it at the Houston Rodeo. I will note I was drinking and a bit buzzed when I ate it. I do remember thinking I would never eat it again lol

Tannhauser
04-20-2021, 01:23 AM
yes they were fried. They had it at the Houston Rodeo. I will note I was drinking and a bit buzzed when I ate it. I do remember thinking I would never eat it again lol

Sure :laugh:

https://i.imgur.com/VLKsq5R.jpg

Rædwald
04-20-2021, 01:47 AM
1. 2-3
2. Usually 7-8pm
3. No
4. Yes
5. Saami soup made with reindeer hooves

Tannhauser
04-20-2021, 02:05 AM
1. 2-3
2. Usually 7-8pm
3. No
4. Yes
5. Saami soup made with reindeer hooves

Alright, meals = Lunch + dinner or Breakfast + dinner?

The meaning of meal and its number of times a day is the most diverse answer.