PDA

View Full Version : Persian and urdu?

Hurrem sultana
09-10-2020, 05:24 PM
Can a speaker of urdu understand persian? is that possible? or is only those shared words that they got from persia/arab?

Dr_Maul
09-10-2020, 05:26 PM
As far as I know they are not mutually intelligible. I think Urdu is closer to Hindi that Persian but there are a couple loanwords that they will understand.

Hurrem sultana
09-10-2020, 05:29 PM
As far as I know they are not mutually intelligible. I think Urdu is closer to Hindi that Persian but there are a couple loanwords that they will understand.

its like with bosnians ? we too got from the ottomans many arab words like bazaar,hajvan,birjan,mashallah and so on..those are arab words that spread to turkey then to bosnia,or persia then pakistan and so on

El_Abominacion
09-10-2020, 05:52 PM
No, they are not mutually intelligible. Urdu belongs to the same language as Hindi, Hindustani. It's just written in an adapted Persian script with a bunch of foreign loan words. The development of Urdu was mostly political/religious, associated with South Asian Muslims (not just Pakistanis, there are many Urdu speakers living in India and elsewhere in South Asia also)

lameduck
09-10-2020, 06:03 PM
no not at all , urdu was developed as language of peotry and love , so it adopted lots of good sounding words from turkish/arabic/persian , bollywood songs are written in Urdu , majority of pakistani and indian music is in Urdu.

Zoro
09-10-2020, 06:04 PM
Persian and urdu share alot probably about 30%. They share more than Arabic and persian. Some of the sharing is also very old because of Avestan-Sanskrit.

If you type persian urdu in youtube you’ll find many videos

https://youtu.be/HM5BrHG-ueo

https://youtu.be/1Q_WGmt-fZw

Narration
09-10-2020, 06:05 PM
Can a speaker of urdu understand persian? is that possible? or is only those shared words that they got from persia/arab?

Although both languages are parts of Aryan language family, I don't think they are mutually intelligible at all.

Dr_Maul
09-10-2020, 06:11 PM
its like with bosnians ? we too got from the ottomans many arab words like bazaar,hajvan,birjan,mashallah and so on..those are arab words that spread to turkey then to bosnia,or persia then pakistan and so on

Similar concept however Bosnian is not in the same family with Turkish unlike Urdu/Persian. So the good analogy is to say for example German and English (both Germanic) with English having some loanwords from German. Also Bazaar is Persian and not Arabic :thumb001:

Hurrem sultana
09-10-2020, 06:14 PM
no not at all , urdu was developed as language of peotry and love , so it adopted lots of good sounding words from turkish/arabic/persian , bollywood songs are written in Urdu , majority of pakistani and indian music is in Urdu.

so my guess is urdu is basically a muslim version of hindi? how about hindi ,do they have many arab loanwords?

Zoro
09-10-2020, 06:30 PM

No, they are not mutually intelligible.

I don't think they are mutually intelligible at all.

Well the videos I posted (there is a dozen more on youtube) prove you're wrong.

Hurrem sultana
09-10-2020, 06:33 PM
Similar concept however Bosnian is not in the same family with Turkish unlike Urdu/Persian. So the good analogy is to say for example German and English (both Germanic) with English having some loanwords from German. Also Bazaar is Persian and not Arabic :thumb001:

it could be english-german or german-dutch,,what is it? i speak swedish and dutch sounds so similar,but if i was a nonenglish speaker english would sound much alien :D

lameduck
09-10-2020, 06:34 PM
so my guess is urdu is basically a muslim version of hindi? how about hindi ,do they have many arab loanwords?

well, i will not call muslim version , more like poetic version, since there are many urdu speaking hindus as well. Hindi itself is lot more modified from original sanskrit. Languages evolve with time and get other influences.

Óttar
09-10-2020, 06:51 PM
Urdu is just Hindustani which draws most of its specialized vocabulary from Arabic and Persian whereas Hindi draws its specialized vocab from Sanskrit. The Aam admi ki bholi (common man's dialect) tends toward the Urdu register because Persian was the language of administration in India until the British Raj in the mid-19th century. I read a book by a Pakistani linguist that said Urdu did not become widely used as the name of the language until the 20th century. Even in Amir Khusro's time, Hindustani was known mostly as Hindi or Dehlawi ("the language of Dehli"). Hindustani grammar comes from Northern Indian prakrits, or the common, "natural" languages. Persian has a similar grammar but it is not the same i.e. in Hindi they would say Admi ki kitaab "the man's book" for possessives whereas in Persian they would say Kitaab-e-maan "My book" ~ "the book of I" if you wanted to get really literal. In advanced Urdu, there are frozen poetic Persian phrases like Noor-e-chaashman-e-man ~ "O Light of My Eyes", so those would be understood.

Hurrem sultana
09-10-2020, 07:03 PM
Urdu is just Hindustani which draws most of its specialized vocabulary from Arabic and Persian whereas Hindi draws its specialized vocab from Sanskrit. The Aam admi ki bholi (common man's dialect) tends toward the Urdu register because Persian was the language of administration in India until the British Raj in the mid-19th century. I read a book by a Pakistani linguist that said Urdu did not become widely used as the name of the language until the 20th century. Even in Amir Khusro's time, Hindustani was known mostly as Hindi or Dehlawi ("the language of Dehli"). Hindustani grammar comes from Northern Indian prakrits, or the common, "natural" languages. Persian has a similar grammar but it is not the same i.e. in Hindi they would say Admi ki kitaab "the man's book" for possessives whereas in Persian they would say Kitaab-e-maan "My book" ~ "the book of I" if you wanted to get really literal. In advanced Urdu, there are frozen poetic Persian phrases like Noor-e-chaashman-e-man ~ "O Light of My Eyes", so those would be understood.

we too have iman,nur,kitab and many other words...we in bosnia call these words "turcizmi" but most are not even turkish just we got them from them.do you have your own native words for lets say nur(light)?

Hurrem sultana
09-10-2020, 07:05 PM
well, i will not call muslim version , more like poetic version, since there are many urdu speaking hindus as well. Hindi itself is lot more modified from original sanskrit. Languages evolve with time and get other influences.

urdu then basically is like a "made up language"

lameduck
09-10-2020, 07:07 PM

yes. kind of

Óttar
09-10-2020, 07:14 PM
we too have iman,nur,kitab and many other words...we in bosnia call these words "turcizmi" but most are not even turkish just we got them from them.do you have your own native words for lets say nur(light)?

Sure. "Noor" is obviously poetic and Arabic derived. It is only used in poetic or Islamic religious contexts. Light would be batti pron. "buttee" or the Sanskritic uday "ray of light."

No. I wouldn't really say that. It is just that Hindustani is a language that adopts and assimilates loanwords quickly and efficiently. It is like how French words flooded into English after the Norman Conquest in the 11th century. Persian itself was almost wiped out and has a large amount of Arabic loanwords.

Demhat
09-10-2020, 07:44 PM

A good analogy would be Lithuanian and Russian. Indo_Aryan is to Iranic what Baltic is to Slavic.

Thambi
09-10-2020, 08:25 PM
Urdu is mostly similar to hindi, with some persian and arabic loanwords/vocab. A lot of urdu greetings are similar to persian or arabic.

Hello = Salaam Alaikum
Thank you = Shukriya
Welcome = Khush Amdeed or Marhaba?
Goodbye = Khuda Hafiz
Life = Zindagi (used in hindi as well)
Chat = Guftagu
Teacher = Ustad
Difficult = Mushkil
Heart = Dil
Coincidence = Ittefaq

The biggest similarity between indo-aryan and iranic languages are the numbers 1-10. Its almost the same. But i guess thats with all indo european languages so it doesnt mean much.

hindi or urdu/persian
1 = Ek/Yek
2 = Do/Do
3 = Teen/Se
4 = Char/Chahar
5= Panch/Panj
6 = Che/Shesh
7 = Saat/Haft
8 = Aat/Hasht
9 = Nou/No
10 = Das/Da

Hurrem sultana
09-16-2020, 10:48 PM
Urdu is mostly similar to hindi, with some persian and arabic loanwords/vocab. A lot of urdu greetings are similar to persian or arabic.

Hello = Salaam Alaikum
Thank you = Shukriya
Welcome = Khush Amdeed or Marhaba?
Goodbye = Khuda Hafiz
Life = Zindagi (used in hindi as well)
Chat = Guftagu
Teacher = Ustad
Difficult = Mushkil
Heart = Dil
Coincidence = Ittefaq

The biggest similarity between indo-aryan and iranic languages are the numbers 1-10. Its almost the same. But i guess thats with all indo european languages so it doesnt mean much.

hindi or urdu/persian
1 = Ek/Yek
2 = Do/Do
3 = Teen/Se
4 = Char/Chahar
5= Panch/Panj
6 = Che/Shesh
7 = Saat/Haft
8 = Aat/Hasht
9 = Nou/No
10 = Das/Da

in Bosnia we say selam alejkum,merhaba etc..we got it from turks..interesting how muslims always use the same phrases.and these are not persian but arabic