PDA

View Full Version : Why do Jews hate to be called European?

Geert
09-11-2020, 10:17 PM
I'm talking specifically about Jews from the European continent. Also known as Ashkenazi. The ones you usually find in banks.

They get a little offended when you deem them as European, they start explaining to you that their origin is from West Asia.

Which is ironic to me, that I know several North Africans who would die to be deemed as Europeans.

It seems to me that they look down on Europeans, or maybe they do this to strengthen their claim on Israel? I don't know for sure. What's your opinion?

Dr_Maul
09-11-2020, 10:18 PM
Because calling them that implies that they are not Israelites but European converts, which is probably offensive to them.

waam
09-11-2020, 11:56 PM
It's only relevant for anthro-forums. Jews in Israel often identify with Europeans or European culture.

Ebion
10-10-2020, 08:43 PM
It points out that they are European converts rather than Semites.

Abriekman
10-10-2020, 09:01 PM
Because Jews are Semitic ethnicity, however yes Ashkenazi Jews and Sephardi Jews have also strong European admixture.

Ashkenazi Jewish genetic breakdown: 45-60% Middle Eastern 20-35% Southern European 10% Eastern European

Sephardic Jewish genetic breakdonw: 60-70% Middle Eastern 30-40% Southern European

Dard
10-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Because it is denying Jews of their Middle Eastern origins which then insinuates that the nation of Israel has no legitimacy. It is ultimately anti-semitic in it's intent.

Parça do Neymar
10-10-2020, 09:33 PM
It seems to me that they look down on Europeans, or maybe they do this to strengthen their claim on Israel? I don't know for sure. What's your opinion?

It's the latter, contrary to popular belief many of them feel more European than Middle Eastern in terms of mindset and often identify with Europeans.

Like Maul just said, calling them "Europeans" implies they are not "Judeans / Israelites", but European converts and this comes with potentially dangerous implications. You know the political climate there, this can and will be used against them to invalidate their land claims and the legitimacy of their state.

Grand Admiral Thrawn
02-17-2021, 05:37 PM
Because we are culturally, historically and genetically not European.

It's true that Sephardi and Ashkenazi Jews are essentially Half European and many of us look no different to Europeans, but we aren't European and nor have we ever been considered European in many countries such as Germany, Poland, Italy, Spain where they constantly made propaganda about us whilst persecuting us and telling us to "Go back to Israel".

Unknown European
02-19-2021, 03:14 PM
I identify much more with European than Middle Eastern. Our culture, history, and DNA is a mix of European and Middle Eastern hence I believe it is reasonable for Jews of European origin to choose for themselves whether they prefer to identify as either European, Middle Eastern, or both. Obviously there will be a ton of people against us identifying as European and there will also be a lot of people against us identifying as Middle Eastern.