PDA

View Full Version : Anti-ginger racism amongst seals

Tony
09-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Cute albino seal rejected by family 'because he's ginger'

An albino seal pup has been rejected by his family - because he looks completely different to the rest.

With his ginger fur, pink flippers and bright blue eyes, the seal looks like a different species, which is why, experts believe, he's been left to fens for himself.

The heartbreaking images were taken by photographer Anatoly Strakhov, who saw the seal hiding under logs on Tyuleniy Island, Russia.

He said: 'He wasn't playing with other baby seals. He was just hiding and waiting for his mother to come and feed him.

'He had a very strange colour fur and looked different from his two black brothers.

'It is a great pity because the poor seal is almost blind and so was unlikely to survive in the wild.'

But, don't worry seal-lovers - staff from a local dolphinarium have now taken the lonely little pup into their care.

http://www.blogcdn.com/travel.aol.co.uk/media/2011/09/seal.jpg

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2011/09/16/cute-albino-seal-rejected-by-family-because-hes-ginger/

Piparskeggr
12-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Cute in a Smeagol kind of way...
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=81&pictureid=2974

Rosenrot
12-11-2011, 11:52 PM
aaah, poor seal. :( I think she is beautifull.

Beorn
12-11-2011, 11:55 PM
'It is a great pity because the poor seal is almost blind and so was unlikely to survive in the wild.'

But, don't worry seal-lovers - staff from a local dolphinarium have now taken the lonely little pup into their care.

Nature is playing its hand and who interferes: Humans.

Phil75231
12-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Nature is playing its hand and who interferes: Humans.

But that assumes nature is alright the way it is. In effect, you're making nature a god; which humans are obligated to just accept.

Unlike seals (and other animal species for that matter) humans do have the capacity to be skeptical of their animal-instinct-based instincts, and question the validity of those instincts mercilessly besides. That's precisely what lead us to realize that old flat earth is an illusion. Same for realizing the sun and stars going around the earth is just an illusion of the earth's daily rotation and yearly revolution around the sun. Not to mention all the discoveries science and its handmaiden technology brought forth.

Exclusivism based on superficial appearances (like the seal pup)? Of course it's natural, but to say we should accept it as right is an argument suitable for a mountain lion, timber wolf, or baboon - NOT for a thinking, conscious, self-aware human being. Again, this is because our superior intellect allowing us at least some degree of power to overrule our animal-instinct-based distastes, and also because of our highly developed sense of empathy (relative to other animals, at least). We may realize we can't come even close to stopping all suffering in this world, but at least we know that (a) stopping suffering is the right thing to do, and (b) we have at least some ability to do more to alleviate it than other animals have.

Therefore, to say, in effect, "Nature always knows" best is a misplaced anthropomorphism at best (as if nature itself has a consciousness!) and outright insulting to humans at worst - for it implies we have no more capacity for morals, ethics, and self-control than do wild animals.

Beorn
12-12-2011, 12:42 AM
But that assumes nature is alright the way it is.

Nature is simply nature. What goes...goes. All manifestations of what is 'alright' or not 'alright' ceases to exist with the decline of Man.

This seal was rejected from its family for sadly(?) possessing the wrong attributes. In this case, "nature" deemed it worthy of rejection. The dna just wasn't the right mix to 'get in the club'. Man stepped in and ensured this seal will now survive and sire further pups against the natural order.

Phil75231
12-12-2011, 01:23 AM
Animal-based personal distaste - based as it is in our brain stem and not the cerebral cortex - is not always a reliable indicator for being "fit to survive". I don't know about seal ecology, but I see no reason why the seal's fur color automatically renders it a burden for the colony. All successful species start with mutations, after all. How does "nature" "know" the seal pup's coloration isn't superior in some way? If it turns out to be superior in some way, then the seal colony is letting its short-term personal distaste for red fur overpower it's long-term potential survival as a colony, or possibly even a species (NOTE: I full well know seals can't think on this level, but as a human, I can see how "nature" is not a very efficient evolver of species)

The humans rescuing the pop: Was it out of empathy for the seal pup? Certainly. However, it's nevertheless good for humans because it sends a message that empathy and sympathy are also important survival traits. It also signals potential for a good mate - people who rescue seal pups are much less likely to abandon their spouses and children. They're much more likely to gain social favor (because "If he/she is that concerned about seals, then that's a pretty good sign he/she will be at least equally concerned about my own well being and that of my children, too). In short, our instincts are also enlightened self-interest. This is especially true in light of the next paragraph.

If nobody gave a damn about the well-being of others, our society would just fall apart into dog-eat-dog Mad Max-ism. This kid of non-society poisons trustful relations between people, which, as noted makes civilization (and all its benefits) practically impossible.

Argyll
12-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Just putting my two cents in- If christians start talking (directed at NO ONE) about survival of the fittest, how should humans still be around. According to the bible, Adam and Eve were the first two humans. They eventually had two sons. So where did the human species come from? Apparently through incest. Think of all of the monstrocities that were created through that, if you go by the bible.

Beorn
12-12-2011, 01:42 AM
The humans rescuing the pop: Was it out of empathy for the seal pup? Certainly. However, it's nevertheless good for humans because it sends a message that empathy and sympathy are also important survival traits. It also signals potential for a good mate - people who rescue seal pups are much less likely to abandon their spouses and children. They're much more likely to gain social favor (because "If he/she is that concerned about seals, then that's a pretty good sign he/she will be at least equally concerned about my own well being and that of my children, too). In short, our instincts are also enlightened self-interest.

I think we will have to agree to disagree, as I have never believed that whole tale about 'good mates/humans = those who are empathetic' as I have done much in my lifetime, often going right out of my way (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=312652&postcount=5993), to help others which I couldn't care less for, and yet would be willing to turn my back upon my own flesh and blood.

Absinthe
12-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Aaaaawwww this baby seal is so freakin' cute and adorable.... :love:

If nobody wants the little ginger cutie, I will adopt it! Deal? :)

Leliana
12-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Seals are yucky but I don't know why I think so. That ginger seal looks more acceptable but I'm sure that' the schema of childlike characteristics. :eek:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln05rpR4NF1qgkq83o1_500.jpg