PDA

View Full Version : Antarctica to Pyramids — lights dim for Earth Hour

The Lawspeaker
03-28-2009, 10:26 PM
<cite class="caption">Antarctica to Pyramids — lights dim for Earth Hour</cite>
<cite class="caption"></cite><cite class="caption">
</cite>
<cite class="caption">http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090328/capt.1cb69990dcea4fdeb6aeade468b2481b.philippines_ _earth_hour_mla107.jpg?x=400&y=284&q=85&sig=cFhffFuY_hUJIaQ9HjL49Q--</cite>
<cite class="caption">AP – People wave their glow sticks after the switching off of lights as part of the worldwide movement dubbed …</cite>
<cite class="caption"></cite>
<cite class="caption">
</cite>

Video (http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=12706146&ch=4226714&src=news)

Slideshow (http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Earth-Hour/ss/events/sc/032809earthhour)

<cite class="caption"></cite>
BONN, Germany – From an Antarctic research base to the Great Pyramids of Egypt and beyond, the world switched off the lights on Saturday for Earth Hour, dimming skyscrapers, city streets and some of the world's most recognizable monuments for 60 minutes to highlight the threat of climate change.

Time zone by time zone, nearly 4,000 cities and towns in 88 countries joined the event sponsored by the World Wildlife Fund to dim nonessential lights from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

An agreement to replace the Kyoto Protocol, which expires in 2012, is supposed to be reached in Copenhagen, Denmark, this December, and environmentalists' sense of urgency has spurred interest in this year's Earth Hour. Last year, only 400 cities participated; Sydney held a solo event in 2007.

In Bonn, WWF activists held a candlelit cocktail party on the eve of a U.N. climate change meeting, the first in a series of talks leading up to Copenhagen. The goal is to get an ambitions deal to curb emissions of heat-trapping gases that scientists say are dangerously warming the planet.

"People want politicians to take action and solve the problem," said Kim Carstensen, director of the global climate initiative for WWF, speaking in a piano bar bathed by candlelight and lounge music.

Organizers initially worried enthusiasm this year would wane with the world focused on the global economic crisis, Earth Hour executive director Andy Ridley told The Associated Press. But he said it apparently had the opposite effect.

"Earth Hour has always been a positive campaign; it's always around street parties, not street protests, it's the idea of hope, not despair. And I think that's something that's been incredibly important this year because there is so much despair around," he said.

The Chatham Islands, a small chain about 500 miles (800 kilometers) east of New Zealand, switched off its diesel generators to officially begin Earth Hour. Soon after, the lights of Auckland's Sky Tower, the tallest man-made structure in New Zealand, blinked off.

At Scott Base in Antarctica, New Zealand's 26-member winter team resorted to minimum safety lighting and switched off appliances and computers.

In Australia, people attended candlelit speed-dating events and gathered at outdoor concerts as the hour of darkness rolled through. Sydney's glittering harbor was bathed in shadows as lights dimmed on the steel arch of the city's iconic Harbour Bridge and the nearby Opera House.

And in Egypt, the Great Pyramids darkened, as did the Sphinx.

To the West, floodlights at the Acropolis in Athens were switched off and an outdoor concert was staged on an adjacent hill, which many Athenians approached in a candlelight procession. The Athens International Airport switched off the lights on one of its two runways.

In that other great ancient city, Rome, the Colosseum and St. Peter's Basilica were plunged into darkness.

In Paris, the Eiffel Tower, Louvre and Notre Dame Cathedral were among 200 monuments and buildings that went dark. The Eiffel Tower, however, only extinguished its lights for five minutes for security reasons because visitors were on the tower, said WWF France spokesman Pierre Chasseray.

"Above all in the current economic crisis, we should send a signal for climate protection," said Klaus Wowereit, the mayor of Berlin, one in a handful of German cities switching off lights at city halls and television towers for Earth Day for the first time.

Meanwhile, the Swiss city of Geneva switched off the lights on theaters, churches and monuments. Among them were the Reformation Wall, where floodlights normally illuminate 10-foot (three-meter) statues of John Calvin and other leaders of Protestantism. The city's motto engraved on either side of the statues is: "After darkness, light."

All of Spain's 52 provincial capitals turned off some lights an hour after sunset, silhouetting unlit landmarks such as the royal palace and parliament in Madrid, the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao, and the Alhambra palace in Granada against darkening dusk skies.

A key 2010 football World Cup qualifier against Serbia posed a dilemma for Romanians. "Shall we watch the match or turn off the lights?," the 7plus daily asked in its main front-page headline.

The U.N. headquarters in New York and other facilities were dimming their lights to signal the need for global support for a new climate treaty.
U.N. Secretary Ban Ki-moon called Earth Hour "a way for the citizens of the world to send a clear message: They want action on climate change."

China participated for the first time, cutting the lights at Beijing's Bird's Nest Stadium and Water Cube, the most prominent 2008 Olympic venues.
In Bangkok, the prime minister switched off the lights on Khao San Road, a haven for budget travelers packed with bars and outdoor cafes.

Earth Hour organizers say there's no uniform way to measure how much energy is saved worldwide.

Earth Hour 2009 has garnered support from global corporations, nonprofit groups, schools, scientists and celebrities — including Oscar-winning actress Cate Blanchett and retired Cape Town Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

McDonald's Corp. planned to dim its arches at 500 locations around the U.S. Midwest. The Marriott, Ritz-Carlton and Fairmont hotel chains and Coca-Cola Co. also planned to participate.

Source Yahoo News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090328/ap_on_re_as/earth_hour)

Rainraven
03-28-2009, 10:40 PM
We turned off all the lights in our flat for Earth hour and all sat around in the lounge and watched a movie in the dark :) we also saw the next door neighbours turn off there lights but when we headed out onto the street it looked like we were the only ones doing it which was very disappointing. Especially as we have had a large amount of advertising about it :(

Beorn
03-28-2009, 11:11 PM
I'd heard about it all and quite honestly made sure I had my PC, T.V, upstairs light, doorway light and the lounge light on, and sat down for a fun packed sitting of Liam Neeson in 'Taken' whilst supping on wine and Guinness. :thumb001:

Wow, what a great film.

Maelstrom
03-29-2009, 02:57 AM
This is the first I've heard about it :p

Sounds like a crock of shite to me though that isn't really going to achieve anything at all :confused:

ReichGirl
03-30-2009, 02:03 PM
i set tires on fire

Holtlander
03-30-2009, 02:11 PM
I still wonder why people are so arrogant to think they can change nature.

I did the same as Beorn i turned on all my lights,pc's etc..

Lahtari
03-31-2009, 07:56 AM
This is insane. I hope I had remembered to leave my lights on when I was away that time. :speechless-smiley-0

The name of the job seems to be that while the green mafia can't really do that much about the big industries that keep the society running, they're decided to bully the individual instead. And they seem to have a very powerful promotion machine. Such ordinary things like light bulbs will soon be banned EU-wide - in favor of energy saving ones that will probably be problematic waste - and while they have the power to dictate that kind of things my guess is that there's some serious crap coming for me and you. Never mind that this is absolutely button trade - even shutting the whole Europe down and reverting to horses and carriages would be insufficient while the Chinese are running their coal plants.

Absinthe
03-31-2009, 01:04 PM
^ @ everyone :rolleyes:

I kept the lights off.

That's cause I didn't give a toss about what's gonna come out of this, but I always thought a little energy saving never hurt anyone.
I realized I waste energy resources because I could do just fine with the lights off.
Why have all the lights on when you only need one (or none?) ;)

Allenson
03-31-2009, 01:14 PM
^ @ everyone :rolleyes:

I kept the lights off.

That's cause I didn't give a toss about what's gonna come out of this, but I always thought a little energy saving never hurt anyone.
I realized I waste energy resources because I could do just fine with the lights off.
Why have all the lights on when you only need one (or none?) ;)

Right! Even if one finds environmental issues to be for the birds (har-har), what's wrong with turning off some lights and saving on one's own electric bill?

Darkness is wonderful. I'm lucky to live in an area with little/no light pollution and I love to shut the house down at night, the only light coming from the fire in the woodstove, and go out on the deck for a look at the heavenly bodies. :lightbul:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2218/2068501793_35cadf3966.jpg

Beorn
03-31-2009, 08:06 PM
I have always ensured my usage of electrical power has been considerate.

I make sure that lights are turned off when leaving a room or house. I stipulate to the realms of being considered anal by my family that doors are kept shut during the winter months to allow the heat to build within the individual rooms. I throw on extra layers before putting the heating on.

I even share a bath with my partner to conserve on water and gas.

But when some toffee nosed arsehole who thinks the human race is the one true Devil that causes the Earth to silently weep into the vacuum of space, tells me that I should make some half-hearted and quite simply ludicrous gesture as to turn off my power for one whole hour, then the schoolboy comes racing out of me.

"No, I will not do as you say.... na na na nya nayna"

Absinthe
03-31-2009, 08:40 PM
"No, I will not do as you say.... na na na nya nayna"

Isn't that what every mature adult would do? :wink :D :p

SwordoftheVistula
04-02-2009, 12:52 AM
I heard that any energy saved by this was lost when everything powered up at once again an hour later. I usually keep my lights off anyways even when I'm home, but stunts like this are ridiculous.

Lahtari
04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
I heard that any energy saved by this was lost when everything powered up at once again an hour later. I usually keep my lights off anyways even when I'm home, but stunts like this are ridiculous.

That's actually a myth - a light bulb does draw a consumption peak from the power line when turned on, but it's nowhere near that big to be comparable to even minutes of being on.

But anyway, I can demonstrate my earlier point by doing some simple calculations. Assume that an average household on the given time has four 60W lamps on. When they turn them off for an hour they're saving 240W/h of energy each. In comparison, a 2000W electric oven used for 30 minutes takes 1000W/h. If you use a 750W microwave oven for 2 minutes instead, you end at a ridiculous consumption of 25W/h, saving almost one kW/h of power. Not using a washing machine and a dishwasher will save about the same amount, so I could have spared the trouble of turning lights off for over 10 households all by myself (which I don't see the point of, since the power is coming mostly from clean, domestic nuclear power plants and Norwegian water plants). And although these are just estimates, they're rather cautious ones.

So, how many of the supporters of these green movements are willing to eat unhealthy microwave food? And how many of them are family mothers who are afraid of having to wash the whole family's laundry and dishes by hand?

(And damnit, what takes so long for that feared global warming? I'm still freezing in here.. :tongue)