PDA

View Full Version : Celtic/Welch genes?

Arundel
03-29-2009, 04:04 AM
Question

If a person is of Welch ancestry, is he considered celtic? I see a lot of mention made in the profiles on this forum of members with celtic genetics, so I thought one of you could tell me.
I am descended from the well known family of ap Owens/Bowens of Glamorganshire, Wales. Their name is even mentioned in the Domesday Book, where it states - "Owens from whence came Bowens." The old ones called themselves Owens & the younger ones changed to calling themselves Bowen.
Please help.
Arundel

Ĉmeric
03-29-2009, 04:11 AM
Welsh, Breton & Cornish is Celtic. Though many people tend to think of the Gaelic Celts - the Irish & (Highland) Scots when the word Celt is mentioned. There where other Continental Celts, such as the Gauls & Galacians, but they were Romanized or Germanized.

Loyalist
03-29-2009, 04:22 AM
The Welsh are certainly Celts, some sources indicating they are one of the purest Celtic groups in existence (less Germanic influence than the Irish and Scots, who Ĉmeric pointed out as those typically associated with Celtic society). The name Bowen is an Anglicization of ap Owen/ap Owain, a Welsh (and Celtic) patronymic name meaning "son of Owen".