PDA

View Full Version : 4% North African for someone who is half African Isn't it a very low percentage?

mashail
10-17-2020, 09:04 PM
Hey, my mom is half Egyptian, half bedouin Iraqi from a Saudi tribe, so last month I decided to ask my mom to take a DNA test because we are both curious about her background since Egypt is so diverse, they are Copts and Arabs, Berbers, Turks, and even blacks. The results yesterday were very shocking, which is that a large percentage of the Levant is close to 30%, and only 4% NA which is very low for a person who is half north african.
results:
Arabia
Arabian Peninsula
55%
Yemenite Jewish
<3%
Middle East
Southern Levant
15%
Northern Levant
12%
Anatolia, Armenia, & Mesopotamia
9%
North Africa
Maghreb & Egypt
<4%
Horn of Africa
Eritrea, Northern Ethiopia & Somalia
<3%
Do you think my mother results are very atypical for being half north african? if you are half or full Egyptian please share me ur results and thoughts?

Dr_Maul
10-17-2020, 09:06 PM
Do GEDmatch

Leto
10-17-2020, 09:15 PM
Hi, Masha,

I remember your Gedmatch and you scored a lot of Arabian/Gulf Arab. Not very close to North Africans such as Algerians, Moroccans (let alone Black Africa).

Chaos One
10-17-2020, 09:20 PM
I'm almost sure the concept of "North African" on tests is related to Moroccans/Algerians overall (even saying "Egypt" there). Probably your Egyptian is "Arabian Peninsula" while your Iraqi side is everything on Middle East (not exactly 50/50 since both groups can have mixed results between those numbers at all).

mashail
10-17-2020, 09:37 PM
Hi, Masha,

I remember your Gedmatch and you scored a lot of Arabian/Gulf Arab. Not very close to North Africans such as Algerians, Moroccans (let alone Black Africa).
LOL, no this is my mother's results, not mine .

Leto
10-17-2020, 09:48 PM
LOL, no this is my mother's results, not mine .
Is she also on Gedmatch?

Hamilcar
10-17-2020, 10:02 PM
Egyptians are mostly levantine/ME genetically they do not share a lot of dna with maghrebis so there is nothing shocking here

Alenka
10-17-2020, 11:18 PM
Egyptians aren't proper North Africans. They are more Middle Eastern shifted in comparison.