PDA

View Full Version : How does the "Ottoman Turkish" sound like ?

Edgü
10-27-2020, 05:25 PM
I can't hear my language as you guys hear it so i want to be informed about it What does it sound like ?
Does it sound similar to another language youve heard before if it does sound similar to another language what is it ?

https://youtu.be/G241-XuPKCw

Noble Cuman
10-27-2020, 05:54 PM
It sounds like modern Turkish with additional Arabic, Persian and old Turkic words to make the language cooler. Now Turkish people use less of these words and added Latin-French words.

Bender1999
10-27-2020, 06:09 PM
That one is understandable and „poetic“ Turkish. I read Ottoman Turkish textes where i understand nearly nothing.

Hamilcar
10-27-2020, 06:09 PM
sounds like modern turkish to me

Edgü
10-27-2020, 07:31 PM
It sounds like modern Turkish with additional Arabic, Persian and old Turkic words to make the language cooler. Now Turkish people use less of these words and added Latin-French words.

That one is understandable and „poetic“ Turkish. I read Ottoman Turkish textes where i understand nearly nothing.

There is a reason for why its called Divan language its well balanced in vocabulary and it sounds very cool but the use of the foreign words were a mistake in my humble opinion

sounds like modern turkish to me

What about the sound of it does it sound harsh ? good ? melodic ? exotic ? cool ? do you sense anything similar to your own language ? (I believe any Turkish user would agree with me that understanding this is harder and the vocabulary is very old)

Bender1999
10-27-2020, 07:35 PM
the use of the foreign words were a mistake in my humble opinion

I even would support a new language revolution, still too much Arabic.

itilvolga
10-27-2020, 07:50 PM
It was not regular Ottoman Turkish but an adventitious language of poets, which was alien even for that period’s people so we shouldn’t count it.

Kyp
10-27-2020, 07:58 PM
just like Anatolian Turkish

RatCat
10-27-2020, 08:08 PM
Same

Edgü
10-27-2020, 08:09 PM
It was not regular Ottoman Turkish but an adventitious language of poets, which was alien even for that period’s people so we shouldn’t count it.

There is a reason for why its called Divan language

"Divan language is mostly used by Pashas, Viziers and Sultan himself but its only used as a writing language speaking this language would meant they were flexing their "Edebiyat"(literature) knowledge"

Imagine a Sultan speaking to the villagers with this language would the villagers understand him ?
Definitely No

As you can see from the archives Turkey has this language is commonly used for letters or archives people didnt speak this language

Edgü
10-27-2020, 08:12 PM
Same

Its vocabulary is Persian and Arabic so understanding this language was not the villagers job :swl

NSXD60
10-27-2020, 08:13 PM
Sounds like Arabic and Russian had a baby.

Edgü
10-27-2020, 08:19 PM
Sounds like Arabic and Russian had a baby.

Understandable does it sound good ?

RatCat
10-27-2020, 08:20 PM
Its vocabulary is Persian and Arabic so understanding this language was not the villagers job :swl

Are you calling me a low class peasant? :D

Bender1999
10-27-2020, 08:20 PM
"Divan language is mostly used by Pashas, Viziers and Sultan himself but its only used as a writing language speaking this language would meant they were flexing their "Edebiyat"(literature) knowledge"

Imagine a Sultan speaking to the villagers with this language would the villagers understand him ?
Definitely No

As you can see from the archives Turkey has this language is commonly used for letters or archives people didnt speak this language

Early Republican politicians had the same problem after language revolution, even Atatürk. I think that was one of the main reasons why many were illiterate. Besides of the wars he won, language revolution was the most important (and right) process for Turks in the last 100 years.

I am very proud to this villagers.

Edgü
10-27-2020, 08:22 PM
Are you calling me a low class peasant? :D

no way hünkarım hâşâ :whistle:

Edgü
10-28-2020, 08:04 AM
just like Anatolian Turkish

Does it sound cool ?

Kyp
10-28-2020, 08:53 AM
Does it sound cool ?

Obviously yes ;)

NSXD60
10-28-2020, 08:57 AM
Understandable does it sound good ?

Let's say it sounds better than Russian or Arabic, canceling their worse traits.

Edgü
10-28-2020, 09:21 AM
Let's say it sounds better than Russian or Arabic, canceling their worse traits.

by worse traits you mean guttural or harsh sounds ?

Fedora
10-28-2020, 10:51 AM
Normal "Ottoman Turkish"texts which I read is bastardized language which a regular Turk would not understand, I think nobody except the elite spoke like that. If you would read Atatürks Nutuk in its orginal form most of us wouldn't understand it without dictionary to due excessive usage of arabic and persian words.
The one you shared is pretty much turkish with some different grammatic and understandable.

Kamal900
10-28-2020, 11:40 AM
Sounds no different from modern Turkish except for some words that are used here that were derived from Arabic and Persian.

Edgü
10-28-2020, 11:48 AM
Normal "Ottoman Turkish"texts which I read is bastardized language which a regular Turk would not understand, I think nobody except the elite spoke like that. If you would read Atatürks Nutuk in its orginal form most of us wouldn't understand it without dictionary to due excessive usage of arabic and persian words.
The one you shared is pretty much turkish with some different grammatic and understandable.

Yes thats why i posted this version otherwise it would sound very Arabo-Persian mix let me quote what i said again

There is a reason for why its called Divan language

Its vocabulary is Persian and Arabic

"Divan language is mostly used by Pashas, Viziers and Sultan himself but its only used as a writing language"

Definitely No

and i agree with you its very foreign in vocabulary you need an additional Dictionary to read it otherwise you wouldnt understand a shit

Ryujin
10-28-2020, 12:26 PM
You mean the language spoken by only a bunch of elites around the Ottoman palace? or just the regular Anatolian folk which spoke basic Turkish?

If it's the latter; well it's pretty much alien to me. It sounds a mix of Arabic and Persian, not much trace of any Turkic influence. Very degenerated language. Thankfully we speak the modern Turkish as a result of language reforms brought up by Atatürk.

In high school I detested the literature class because it was filled with Ottoman language works.

Sora
10-28-2020, 12:31 PM
Just sounds like today's Anatolian Turkish heavily mixed with Persian & Arabic words

Kyp
10-28-2020, 12:56 PM
Where are all the Persian and arabian influences people talk about here in this piece? Here it has less foreign influence than modern Turkish.

Dr_Maul
10-28-2020, 12:57 PM
Where are all the Persian and arabian influences people talk about here in this piece? Here it has less foreign influence than modern Turkish.

Yeah I only heard one or 2 Persian words I think lol, it could be that most of the loans are Arabic which I could not understand and assumed was Turkish

Kyp
10-28-2020, 01:01 PM
Yeah I only heard one or 2 Persian words I think lol, it could be that most of the loans are Arabic which I could not understand and assumed was Turkish

Some Turks even wish they could ban the Bactrian camel (integral part of their nomadic background) from their culture. Because Europeans associate camels with arabs. Very shameful.

Edgü
10-30-2020, 11:13 AM

The example i posted has less Arabic and Persian loanwords if i posted a full text nobody would understand a thing and The people lived those times would say something similar to this if you ask them what was Ottoman language "Osmanlıca çok farklı bir dildi içinde Acem dilini, Arap dilini ve Türk dilini barındırırdı fakat ne Acem ne Arap nede Türk bu dili anlardı"

https://youtu.be/7VLGsba0bf0
(this is not an ottoman turkish example)

Mortimer
10-30-2020, 11:27 AM
Sounds cool

Marmara
10-30-2020, 11:41 AM

There is none. This particular text was obviously written in "vulgar(raw) Turkish" which is why it's easily understandable. Today's standard Turkish is derived from Vulgar Turkish which is what everyday people spoke. "Ottoman Turkish" on the other hand stands for the Palace/Literature language which was mixed heavily with Persian and Arabic. Most people mistakenly believe that Ottoman Turkish was spoken by eveyday people and Ataturk restructured Turkish completely with the language reform.

Kyp
10-30-2020, 12:00 PM
There is none. This particular text was obviously written in "vulgar(raw) Turkish" which is why it's easily understandable. Today's standard Turkish is derived from Vulgar Turkish which is what everyday people spoke. "Ottoman Turkish" on the other hand stands for the Palace/Literature language which was mixed heavily with Persian and Arabic. Most people mistakenly believe that Ottoman Turkish was spoken by eveyday people and Ataturk restructured Turkish completely with the language reform.

I know, but people wrote like they didn't understand this text because of the foreign influence and I was like ...(?)

I think they probably didn't even listen to it.

Edgü
10-30-2020, 12:16 PM
I know, but people wrote like they didn't understand this text because of the foreign influence and I was like ...(?)

I think they probably didn't even listen to it.

If they are from urban regions its very possible for them to not understand the example i posted

Ryujin
10-30-2020, 01:07 PM
Most people mistakenly believe that Ottoman Turkish was spoken by eveyday people and Ataturk restructured Turkish completely with the language reform.

Ottoman language was not spoken by common people because there was literally no education during the Ottoman period. Only %1 of the people was literate.

If Atatürk elevated the education level of the people while bypassing the language reform; people would have spoken that abomination today.

Also; Atatürk invented many Turkish words himself. He wrote a whole book about geometry and math and replaced Ottoman terms with new modern Turkish ones.

Some examples invented by Atatürk:

kaim zaviyeli müselles - dikey üçgen
müselles-i mütesâviyü’l-adlâ’ - eşkenar üçgen
zâviyetan’ı mütabâdiletân-ı dâhiletan - iç ters açılar

We can't say he created a new language; but modern Turkish is primarily rooted in his language reform.

Dr_Maul
10-30-2020, 01:24 PM
So from what I understand, that language is just Ottoman era Turkish (vulgar) not actually Ottoman turkish (separate language)?

Edgü
10-30-2020, 02:27 PM
So from what I understand, that language is just Ottoman era Turkish (vulgar) not actually Ottoman turkish (separate language)?

Yeah thats what it is