PDA

View Full Version : Fellow lifters, what is your max bench?

RN97
10-29-2020, 02:55 PM
Right now the most I've done is 105 kg at 82-83 kg bodyweight.

Ford
10-29-2020, 02:56 PM
120kg at 88kg bodyweight

Not a Cop
10-29-2020, 10:54 PM
115 at 95 kg, right now 105 at 80.

pajkosbalna
10-29-2020, 11:21 PM
20kgs :D

War Chef
10-29-2020, 11:24 PM
125 kg for 6 repetitions, with proper form (bar touching chest).

But I am no longer doing heavy lifting as my left shoulder has pain, I think early osteo-arthritis.

oh-nahhh
10-29-2020, 11:31 PM
A handsome amount.

Not a Cop
10-29-2020, 11:44 PM
125 kg for 6 repetitions, with proper form (bar touching chest).

But I am no longer doing heavy lifting as my left shoulder has pain, I think early osteo-arthritis.

Impressive, how tall are you? I remember you being of average height.

War Chef
10-29-2020, 11:58 PM
Impressive, how tall are you? I remember you being of average height.

5'11 1/2

Think this translates to roughly 180-81cm in Euro metrics

Dr_Maul
10-29-2020, 11:59 PM
Not enough

TheMaestro
10-30-2020, 12:02 AM
10 beers

Aspirin
10-30-2020, 12:08 AM
82 kg at 63 kg, but this was 11 years ago when I was in high school.

Benyzero
10-30-2020, 12:57 PM
Iam not a benchpress type a guy, 70-75.

Mr.G
10-30-2020, 01:03 PM
102kg/225lbs x 3 reps, bar to chest, none of that cheating stuff like thrusting the hips up. My bodyweight was 77-79kg/170-175lbs range.

No way in hell I can do that now haha, I worked for a few years to get to that, and never even tried that heavy again.

Hithaeglir
10-30-2020, 01:11 PM
25 :icon_lol:

Longbowman
12-22-2020, 09:37 PM
Single rep max, no idea. I'm currently on 5x5 127.5kg, which is just a tad over 280lbs if my maths is good. I might be able to squeeze one out at 150kg if I tried but I have no interest in doing so. I've done 130 before, no more than that.

Current weight 80kg/176lbs.

Abdelnour
12-23-2020, 12:42 PM
315 pounds or 142 kg.

I am 210 lb or 95 kg. But around 188cm.

pajkosbalna
12-23-2020, 02:21 PM
25 :icon_lol:

Omg you beat me haha :)

I must try the 26 then...will inform if i manage to steal your crown :D

Hithaeglir
12-24-2020, 10:02 AM
Omg you beat me haha :)

I must try the 26 then...will inform if i manage to steal your crown :D

Considering Tier 4, i won't lift for a long time, so you can beat it easily XD

Mopi Licinius Crassus
12-24-2020, 10:09 AM
under strict instructions not to lift heavy weights

go only go up to half my body weight (80kg)

i could probably lift 90kg i reckon, if i had to though :D

Impaler
12-24-2020, 10:22 AM
130-135 kg one repetition, without a spotter.

Komintasavalta
12-24-2020, 10:47 AM
Just the bar with no weights, in PE.

Token
12-24-2020, 11:02 AM
110kg 10 rep, weighing 100kg and using 1.5ml of testosteron enanthate per week.

lutegavel
12-25-2020, 05:48 AM
Very nice progress, keep it up, buddy!

cakmir7y
03-11-2021, 12:04 PM
Who cares about bench? How much do you deadlift?

TheMaestro
03-11-2021, 12:42 PM
Who cares about bench? How much do you deadlift?

Who are you XD

Terminator98
03-11-2021, 01:21 PM
Who are you XD

No idea who that guy is but he is right. Deadlift/squat>bench.

cakmir7y
03-12-2021, 04:20 AM
Who are you XD

What exactly do you mean?

Kostej
12-31-2021, 12:31 AM
130 plus. Was scared to try more since my shoulder is kind off iffy. But its not that impressive since I have 100kg.

Insuperable
12-31-2021, 12:41 AM
Two and half years ago. I went for three or four months to gym.

Chest press 100kg 20 reps
Incline leg press 220kg 25 reps

Never benched or did barbell deadlift.

E1b1b
12-31-2021, 12:44 AM
3 plates for 2 reps. My bench sucks because I have long ass arms. Deadlift is the best lift for me.

Longbowman
12-31-2021, 12:49 AM
Single rep max, no idea. I'm currently on 5x5 127.5kg, which is just a tad over 280lbs if my maths is good. I might be able to squeeze one out at 150kg if I tried but I have no interest in doing so. I've done 130 before, no more than that.

Current weight 80kg/176lbs.

Now 140kg 5*5 (working on), so very confident I could get in the 150s.

LorenzoSpitaleri
12-31-2021, 01:30 AM
I don't do single rep max, nor 5x5. This week I did 60kg 3x12, could probably do more by now but I missed chest day like the first 2 weeks of december, didn't bother with push ups at home either.

I'm 1.66m (5'5") and weight 58kg (began at 53kg). Manlet moment.

Mr.G
12-31-2021, 01:44 AM
225 lbs x 3 at a bodyweight of about 175 lbs, reasonably lean. A long time ago mind you.

Turul Karom
12-31-2021, 02:03 AM
102kg/225lbs x 3 reps, bar to chest, none of that cheating stuff like thrusting the hips up. My bodyweight was 77-79kg/170-175lbs range.

No way in hell I can do that now haha, I worked for a few years to get to that, and never even tried that heavy again.

Nearly identical. I was 2-3 kilos heavier. I hate bench pressing and it took my way too long to get there, and it didn't feel as accomplishing as I thought. I totally had to grind out the last. My best and favorite lift is deadlift which I still perform weekly (at a minimum) to this day. I used to pull for speed on blocks a lot more often on my non-peaking days just because I loved the motion and the pump from it so much (conventional double overhand only, no switch or sumo). Abandoned benching altogether because I was spooked about chest tears I kept reading about and seeing on YouTube everywhere. When a fitness buddy at the time tore his left pec minor completely from its insertion point on a warmup of barely more than 1pl8, he told me that he should have called it quits earlier, too.

Wishing all the benchers out there all the best for the New Year! May your moment arms get ever shorter.

Mr.G
12-31-2021, 03:09 AM
Nearly identical. I was 2-3 kilos heavier. I hate bench pressing and it took my way too long to get there, and it didn't feel as accomplishing as I thought. I totally had to grind out the last. My best and favorite lift is deadlift which I still perform weekly (at a minimum) to this day. I used to pull for speed on blocks a lot more often on my non-peaking days just because I loved the motion and the pump from it so much (conventional double overhand only, no switch or sumo). Abandoned benching altogether because I was spooked about chest tears I kept reading about and seeing on YouTube everywhere. When a fitness buddy at the time tore his left pec minor completely from its insertion point on a warmup of barely more than 1pl8, he told me that he should have called it quits earlier, too.

Wishing all the benchers out there all the best for the New Year! May your moment arms get ever shorter.

I always loved bench pressing. And hated the deadlift!

I would still be benching (I do mostly push-ups and elastic band pec fly's nowadays) but I think maybe in life you only get but so many bench presses, and I've exceeded my number. One frozen shoulder and several serious rotator cuff strains later and I am quite pleased to be able to do my push-ups and pec fly's without pain.

Regarding deadlift, I don't seem to be able to recruit my glutes and hams like I should, a lot of the load seem to get directed to an old disc herniation in my lumbar spine.

Glad to hear you are using overhand grip, I've seen those mixed grip biceps rupture videos, you just can't unsee that..

Turul Karom
12-31-2021, 03:53 AM
I always loved bench pressing. And hated the deadlift!

I would still be benching (I do mostly push-ups and elastic band pec fly's nowadays) but I think maybe in life you only get but so many bench presses, and I've exceeded my number. One frozen shoulder and several serious rotator cuff strains later and I am quite pleased to be able to do my push-ups and pec fly's without pain.

Regarding deadlift, I don't seem to be able to recruit my glutes and hams like I should, a lot of the load seem to get directed to an old disc herniation in my lumbar spine.

Glad to hear you are using overhand grip, I've seen those mixed grip biceps rupture videos, you just can't unsee that..

Exact opposite about the lifts lol

If you are comfortable with it, how old were you when you made your highest attempt at the bench? I was 23.

I treat the deadlift like a leg press and think of my hips as the parts of a sliding drawer. With my upper body like being in a static hold after taking the slack out of the bar with my upper back, I push away from the ground with my legs and hips.

If you have problems with your glutes and hams, then deload until you can feel them working during the eccentric phase. Works every time.

Also: DO NOT WEAR SHOES WITH HEELS, this is for daily activity, too. I can promise that most boots and shoes men wear have quite the heel stack. Heel lift on shoes shortens the length hamstrings artificially over time and tilts the hips forward. This is why so many men have weak hamstrings: they are never put through their ranges of motion and have atrophied! I wear eastern shoes (barefoot shoes work well too) for this reason.

Mr.G
12-31-2021, 04:09 AM
Exact opposite about the lifts lol

If you are comfortable with it, how old were you when you made your highest attempt at the bench? I was 23.

I treat the deadlift like a leg press and think of my hips as the parts of a sliding drawer. With my upper body like being in a static hold after taking the slack out of the bar with my upper back, I push away from the ground with my legs and hips.

If you have problems with your glutes and hams, then deload until you can feel them working during the eccentric phase. Works every time.

Also: DO NOT WEAR SHOES WITH HEELS, this is for daily activity, too. I can promise that most boots and shoes men wear have quite the heel stack. Heel lift on shoes shortens the length hamstrings artificially over time and tilts the hips forward. This is why so many men have weak hamstrings: they are never put through their ranges of motion and have atrophied! I wear eastern shoes (barefoot shoes work well too) for this reason.

I kid you not, I think I was 23 also.

Great advice Turul, thank you very much. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get back that inch in height I'll lose from wearing those flat soled shoes ;)

Turul Karom
12-31-2021, 04:16 AM
I kid you not, I think I was 23 also.

Great advice Turul, thank you very much. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get back that inch in height I'll lose from wearing those flat soled shoes ;)

I can suggest some options. If you are looking for shoes that ship to the USA from Europe, I suggest Joe Nimble Toes which is a German manufacturer with distribution in the USA. They have sports shoes and leather hikers that still have zero heel-toe drop while still keeping a good stack height/rock plate and protection underfoot. Their trail boots are particularly nice. My daily eastern shoes are more minimalist that these, but they are great shoes from a great company. They'll also keep you "taller" than minimalist shoes, lol. They currently have a New Year's sale and you can negotiate discounts if you're a trainer.

Mr.G
12-31-2021, 04:55 PM
I can suggest some options. If you are looking for shoes that ship to the USA from Europe, I suggest Joe Nimble Toes which is a German manufacturer with distribution in the USA. They have sports shoes and leather hikers that still have zero heel-toe drop while still keeping a good stack height/rock plate and protection underfoot. Their trail boots are particularly nice. My daily eastern shoes are more minimalist that these, but they are great shoes from a great company. They'll also keep you "taller" than minimalist shoes, lol. They currently have a New Year's sale and you can negotiate discounts if you're a trainer.

I never heard of them before, I just pulled up the page, very aesthetically appealing designs. Thanks again as always.

Zeno
01-01-2022, 12:20 AM
I have unfortunately stopped for a month now. But my max was at 70 kg, 4x10.

Borealis
01-01-2022, 01:24 AM
Guess

Benyzero
01-01-2022, 05:11 PM
Guess

40 kg

Harkonnen
01-01-2022, 05:16 PM
Guess

20kg.

Borealis
01-01-2022, 06:24 PM
40 kg

20kg.

2 kg

Nah, in all serious I’m closer to 80kg for 8 reps or so, could probably go higher but I’m always paranoid of dropping it and I can’t be bothered to get a spotter

Harkonnen
01-01-2022, 06:50 PM
2 kg

Nah, in all serious I’m closer to 80kg for 8 reps or so, could probably go higher but I’m always paranoid of dropping it and I can’t be bothered to get a spotter

If you do the sets in slight incline bench, and set thingies that hold the weights in very low, you can go to full failure, and wiggle the weight back, with weights just resting on your chest, push up with legs and do a shoulder pump first with left then with right.

lei.talk
01-01-2022, 07:28 PM
the safest way to do any exercise with an olympic-bar
is inside a power-rack (https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?320171-Meme-and-Shitposting-Thread&p=7387961#post7387961).

my maintainance-weight for bench-press and squats is two-hundreds and twenty-five pounds
(which is five or ten pounds below my lean body-weight).

it takes a year
for me to work the squat up to three-hundreds and fifteen pounds
(leaving the bench-press at my maintainance-weight).

the next year
the the squats immediately drop to two and a quarter
and the bench-press slowly rises to three-fifteen.

the next year
the squats get their turn, again.

my max has never been higher than three-fifteen.
perhaps having three big wheels on each end of the bar
is a psychological barrier for me, :embarrassed

but, long clavicles is my explaination — when questioned. :whistle:

Borealis
01-01-2022, 09:22 PM
If you do the sets in slight incline bench, and set thingies that hold the weights in very low, you can go to full failure, and wiggle the weight back, with weights just resting on your chest, push up with legs and do a shoulder pump first with left then with right.

Which thingies? Assuming you’re talking about the handles on the side of the squat rack?

Harkonnen
01-01-2022, 09:47 PM
Which thingies? Assuming you’re talking about the handles on the side of the squat rack?

I mean if you have adjustable height for weightbar, then adjust height very low. And if have adjustable bench seat, then adjust seat in very slight incline. In this way you can basically unrack the weight by taking very deep breadth which expands the rib cage and the weight slides to your chest in automation. Then perform reps to failure. After you can't anymore move the weight from your chest, take a deep breadth, and if you are good fit, the expanding rib cage racks the weight back. If its little bit higher a little shoulder pump may be needed.

Turul Karom
01-01-2022, 09:54 PM

Just buy a half rack with arms.

Zeno
04-28-2023, 01:59 PM
80 kgs, at 70 kgs in bodyweight.

My max was once at 100 kgs, but only one rep. But it was dangerous.