PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if you suck at reading people?

Trouble
10-30-2020, 05:59 AM
I've taken online tests that claim to test your ability to read facial expressions but it's always the same one with people making exaggerated and clearly fake gestures to show happiness, anger, pain, etc. In real life it is nowhere near as blatant most of the time.

I often notice when Im watching videos where someone is analyzing a situation, they point out how someone in a clip feels uncomfortable or upset and Im usually confused because I didn't pick up on it. And even when I watch the clip I cant sense what theyre talking about.

So my question is, how can you know for sure if you understand social cues?

Harley
10-30-2020, 09:22 AM
you can probably work at it by comparing your reactions to other people’s reactions, responses to social stimuli.

i went through a period in my life in my late teens where i found it very hard to concentrate when talking to people, so i had a really hard time deciphering social cues. i just mimicked the people around me while continuously comparing different people’s reactions and trying to understand why they had the responses they did.

you could also talk to a person you trust about your social cues anxieties and kind of be their apprentice via socializing. ofc that depends on if you consider them to be good judges of character and interaction. if anything, it will help you notice patterns and appropriate responses.

keep in mind there is no such thing as an original thought. everything anyone else can do or will do has been done before, so you’re not looking into mind reading, just merely improving your ability to understand their behaviors and predict their actions so you can provide the appropriate reaction.

sometimes, you just don’t know what the appropriate responses are, and that’s okay. i think there are some classes you could probably take for reading social cues better, but i’m not sure what search terms you would use to find them.

Trouble
10-30-2020, 07:56 PM
you can probably work at it by comparing your reactions to other people’s reactions, responses to social stimuli.

i went through a period in my life in my late teens where i found it very hard to concentrate when talking to people, so i had a really hard time deciphering social cues. i just mimicked the people around me while continuously comparing different people’s reactions and trying to understand why they had the responses they did.

you could also talk to a person you trust about your social cues anxieties and kind of be their apprentice via socializing. ofc that depends on if you consider them to be good judges of character and interaction. if anything, it will help you notice patterns and appropriate responses.

keep in mind there is no such thing as an original thought. everything anyone else can do or will do has been done before, so you’re not looking into mind reading, just merely improving your ability to understand their behaviors and predict their actions so you can provide the appropriate reaction.

sometimes, you just don’t know what the appropriate responses are, and that’s okay. i think there are some classes you could probably take for reading social cues better, but i’m not sure what search terms you would use to find them.

Thanks

pajkosbalna
10-30-2020, 08:15 PM
I think it comes with experience also.
Like, you watch peoples reaction, gestures while for example talking about a topic, then a or b happens (turn out they were lying etc) then you remember how they were talking, and put the two together. After several similar reactions you learn what are the signs bc more or less these are the same in many cases.

EM78GREENSAVANNAH
10-30-2020, 08:18 PM
Simple. You hear things that surprise you from that person. If you read that person well they will say almost exactly what you expect.

Trouble
10-30-2020, 08:39 PM
I think it comes with experience also.
Like, you watch peoples reaction, gestures while for example talking about a topic, then a or b happens (turn out they were lying etc) then you remember how they were talking, and put the two together. After several similar reactions you learn what are the signs bc more or less these are the same in many cases.

Simple. You hear things that surprise you from that person. If you read that person well they will say almost exactly what you expect.

It seems like no one does what I expect.

Trouble
11-03-2020, 12:36 AM
bump

calxpal
11-03-2020, 12:53 AM
I would say you can tell by if other people respond to you verbally and non-verbally in the way you expect.

Trouble
11-03-2020, 12:58 AM
I would say you can tell by if other people respond to you verbally and non-verbally in the way you expect.

I think I can tell people's voice and speaking tone well but reading faces is just really hard.
Today i was picking up food and the guy there just stared at me for a few seconds and I was wondering what he was thinking.

lutegavel
11-09-2020, 07:36 AM
I think I can tell people's voice and speaking tone well but reading faces is just really hard.
Today i was picking up food and the guy there just stared at me for a few seconds and I was wondering what he was thinking.

Maybe be he is interested in you, Just kidding :rolleyes: