PDA

View Full Version : Do you have known ancestors who fought in wars?

Roy
11-19-2020, 01:11 PM
One of my great-great-fathers fought in Russo-Japanese War in 1905 albeit when he has made it all the way to Manchuria it has basically ended and my great-grandpa fought in Polish-Soviet War (1919-1920). Both ancestors are on my paternal side.

Dr_Maul
11-19-2020, 01:30 PM
Yes, only ~35 years ago for my Father.

Jana
11-19-2020, 01:31 PM
Ofcourse

Ford
11-19-2020, 01:33 PM
Yes, several ancestors in several wars.

gixajo
11-19-2020, 01:39 PM
Yes.

Mr.G
11-19-2020, 01:44 PM
World War II - Grandfather, Great Uncle

Vietnam - Uncle

frankhammer
11-19-2020, 01:45 PM
Yes, however no one more recent than dead grandparents. We've not been in any major conflicts since WW2 as the family migrated to NZ after the war.
My grandfather, who died in his 80's as I was born, sailed to South Africa. He was nick-named young Kruger, where he was a messenger and brought forward ammunition during the Boer war. He arrived there as a 14 YO. He spent WW1 and WW2 in the British merchant marine.

My other Grandfather was a blog-standard NCO foot soldier during WW2. He was the nicest adult member of my family growing up but died when I was 14.

Altaylı
11-19-2020, 01:58 PM
-my Great grandfathers WW1(both paternal and maternal)
-Great Uncle Turkish Indenpence war
- paternal Grandfather Korean War(my father's maternal grandfather)

Ülev
11-19-2020, 02:00 PM
yes, on right side :whistle:

KirillMazur
11-19-2020, 02:39 PM
Most of them. Of course, on the right side (against the capital).
My paternal grandfather participated in the second half of the Second World War, and advanced to the West from the territory of present-day Ukraine. He then trained the Northern Vietnamese (being the demolitions expert) during the Vietnam War.
My father also took part in Afghanistan a little. Both are career officers.
The maternal grandmother is a home front veteran.
And so on.

Celestia
11-19-2020, 02:44 PM
Yes, one was captured and held as a prisoner of war. He fought for the confederates during the civil war.

Tooting Carmen
11-19-2020, 02:48 PM
My paternal grandfather and great-grandfather fought in the 2nd and 1st World Wars respectively.

Adamm
11-19-2020, 03:00 PM
Yes at 3 occasions:

War of independence in Algeria (against France)
War against France inside Morocco (occupation of taforalt)
War against communists/republicans in Spanish civil war (at the side of Franco)

I also heard about family who fought in Vietnam together with the French.

itilvolga
11-19-2020, 03:06 PM
My both paternal great grandfathers fought in WW1 (Caucasus Front)
My maternal great grandfather fought in Turkish War of Independence, as a zeybek in Aegean paramilitary forces (Aydin Mountains)

Kivan
11-19-2020, 03:06 PM
Yes. My maternal great grandfather fought in the Çanakkale battle.

Mr.G
11-19-2020, 03:07 PM
World War II - Grandfather, Great Uncle

Vietnam - Uncle

And to expand on this a little, my great-uncle was really quite proud of his service, and would talk about it with some frequency. One of my last memories of him is sitting with him in his home (he was in his mid 90's at the time), sipping cognac, listening to the old stories.

Some details of his service:

He was a captain in the U.S. Army, 1st Infantry Division, saw front line combat in France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Czechoslovakia. He was awarded the Silver Star and the Bronze Star for bravery and was one of the liberators of Falkenau.

Seya
11-19-2020, 03:12 PM
yes. both of my grandfathers fought in WW2. one of them was a war prisoner.
also my great-grandfather died in WW1

Creoda
11-19-2020, 03:17 PM
GGF - WWI (Western Front)
GF - WWII (North Africa and Italy)

WhatsGoingOnBigGuy
11-19-2020, 03:21 PM
Wars I've found ancestors participated in:

WW2
WW1
Spanish-American war
American Civil War
American Revolutionary War

dududud
11-19-2020, 03:22 PM
My paternal great-grandfather fought in World War II and the Algerian War
My maternal grandfather fought in World War II and the Algerian War

My paternal great-great-great-great-great-grandfather (directly from the paternal line) took part in a Napoleonic war and was medalist of Saint Helena (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Helena_Medal)

alnortedelsur
11-19-2020, 03:22 PM
Not exactly my ancestor, but the brother of my maternal Spanish grandmother (my uncle grandpa) fought in the Spanish civil war.

He was captain of a platoon stationed in Aragon, fighting on the National side (Franco's side).

My maternal grandpa (father of my mom) was a Republican who was imprisoned by nationals in a concentration camp, but later on released. But he never wielded a gun

Salty Ears
11-19-2020, 03:33 PM
In 19th century as Siberian Cossacks in Central Asian campaigns. My great-great grandfather was in cavalry during WW1, died on the territory of modern Poland. During WW2 his son, my great grandfather was commander of the counterintelligence group that worked in 12th anti-aircraft artillery division of the Baltic fleet air defense. Another greatgrandfather was not young man in 1941 and went at front as volunteer, was wounded during Rostov offensive operation, but died much later in 60s.

Frowning Man
11-19-2020, 03:35 PM
Both great-grandfathers participated in the Second World War. Father and several uncles in Afghanistan and in the hostilities in the 90s.

noricum
11-19-2020, 03:36 PM
Both of my grandfathers where born in 1928. My paternal grandfather fought as Wehrmach Gebirgsjäger during the last months of WW2 on the Italian front untill he got wounded by artillery.
My maternal grandfather did not see actual combat due to a slow healing broken ankle and served in the RAD when WW2 ended.

My maternal great grandfather turned 18 when WW1 started and served in A-H Infantry regiment No. 7 untill he got captured by the Russians. At the beginning conditions in captivity were bad as he got colera and typhus, later he got send to a orthodox monastery to work as a farmhand. The conditions there where much better, he was able to learn russian and became friens with the monks there and continued to write letters long after the war. During WW2 he served in the Volkssturm, to my knowlwdge without enemy contact

noricum
11-19-2020, 03:37 PM
Both of my grandfathers where born in 1928. My paternal grandfather fought as Wehrmach Gebirgsjäger during the last months of WW2 on the Italian front untill he got wounded by artillery.
My maternal grandfather did not see actual combat due to a slow healing broken ankle and served in the RAD when WW2 ended.

My maternal great grandfather turned 18 when WW1 started and served in A-H Infantry regiment No. 7 untill he got captured by the Russians. At the beginning conditions in captivity were bad as he got colera and typhus, later he got send to a orthodox monastery to work as a farmhand. The conditions there where much better, he was able to learn russian and became friens with the monks there and continued to write letters long after the war. During WW2 he served in the Volkssturm, to my knowlwdge without enemy contact

CordedWhelp
11-19-2020, 03:47 PM
Only really know of my grandfathers (paternal and maternal) fighting in WWII...

zebruh
11-19-2020, 04:02 PM
Yes, one fought in ww1 and then his grandson was drafted in ww2.

Thracian
11-19-2020, 04:08 PM
I don't need to mention before WWI because most of my ancestors were already soldiers.

I also counted my relatives like my grandfather's brother etc...

WWI,

- 2 of them were in Gallipoli campaign
- 2 of them fought in Yemen but never came back

WWI,

- My paternal great grandfather served his ex-country in Western Thrace and moved to Germany end of the WWII. He later went to Bulgaria back and moved to Turkey middle of 1950's. I met with him when I was a kid.

Luso
11-19-2020, 05:57 PM
Yes, my great-grandpa fought in some war, and my grandpa fought too.

Impaler
11-19-2020, 06:08 PM
Yes, my great-grandfather on my mother side. He fought in WW2 and he was a veteran.

Marmara
11-19-2020, 06:31 PM
My grandfather's uncle fought and died in the WW1 1915 Gallipoli Campaing.

My great-grandfather fought in Arabia for 8 years against British, including during WW1.

placebo
11-19-2020, 06:34 PM
My maternal great-grandfather fought in WW1. (Çanakkale)

Varda
11-19-2020, 06:52 PM
My ancestors participated in many wars since Great Turkish War (1683-99) to Yugo civil war (1991-95).

My great-great-grandfather (from mother's side) was mobilised in Austro-Hungarian army, but in Cer battle he escaped on Serbian side https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cer
In Serbian army he participated in several battles including Macedonisn front https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonian_front
He survived the war.

My other great-great-grandfather (also from mother's side) served Austro-Hungarian navy several years before WW1 started. He also participated in WW1, but I don't know details. He survived the war as well.
Before war he sailed entire Mediterranean (Gibraltar, Sicily, Dardaneli, Sinai etc). In Dardaneli he was in peacekeeping mission regarding Italo-Turkish war 1911-12.

Tarlus Magnus
11-19-2020, 08:29 PM
my great grandfather fought in wwi and my grandfather in wwii

Trouble
11-19-2020, 08:35 PM
Mine were insurgents

Crn Volk
11-19-2020, 09:38 PM
Yes, both grandfathers fought in WW2 (Bulgarian royal army and then Macedonian Partizans). One of my cousins also fought in 2001 against Albanian insurgency (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_insurgency_in_Macedonia).

Varda
11-19-2020, 10:26 PM
Yes, both grandfathers fought in WW2 (Bulgarian royal army and then Macedonian Partizans). One of my cousins also fought in 2001 against Albanian insurgency (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_insurgency_in_Macedonia).

Your ancestors were cannon fodder for nazi puppet Bulgaria and occupiers in Pirot in Bulgarian uniforms.

Smeagol
11-19-2020, 10:31 PM
My grandpa was in the US Navy during World War II and served in the Pacific. His father was a soldier in World War I as were two of my other great grandfathers. Beyond that, I know I have ancestors who served as far back as the English Civil War, but don't know much about them.

pulstar
11-19-2020, 10:51 PM
Some fought, but they aren't well known.

Helen
11-19-2020, 11:09 PM
Yes, my grandmother's father fought and died in the civil war

Daco Celtic
11-19-2020, 11:12 PM
Yes, including Nam and WWII. All Marines.

ixulescu
11-19-2020, 11:15 PM
Both my grandfathers have been on the frontline during ww2, and many of their close relatives.

One grandmother has been a nurse during the war. She took care of my wounded grandfather and they married after the war :)

Westbrook
11-19-2020, 11:21 PM
Pretty much every major American conflict before I was born including the Revolutionary War.

IceQueen
11-20-2020, 01:40 AM
Two of my great, great grandparents died in WWI. One died at the Battle of the Somme aged 35 and the other died in Mesopotamia aged 28, so young. :(

I also have a great grandfather who survived WWII. He was stationed in Germany and apparently helped liberate Belsen. My Grandma told me that when he returned back from the war he was never the same, he had severe PTSD and would wake up screaming in the middle of the night. He didn’t speak much about his war experience but my dad asked him about it once when he was a child, and he told him that he had killed a female spy in Germany with a machine gun because she had lead his friends into an ambush and gotten them killed.

Kaspias
11-20-2020, 09:07 AM
Not going to mention before the 20th century.

Maternal G Grandfather: Greek Civil War. He was in an irregular Pomak hajduk against Bulgarian/Greek commies who use Rhodopes as a training field.
Maternal GG grandfather: First Balkan War(Ottoman), WW1(Tsardom of Bulgaria.) He was able to turn back home yet died soon after arriving. Don't know the story.

Paternal GG Grandfather: Balkan Wars -> Ottoman Vardar Army -> Battle of Prilep, Battle of Manastir.

He run away during the losing of Manastir by understanding the Ottoman Army has no chance. He went to his hometown Varna and asked his family to migrate to the Komotini as they are lack protection in Varna. He was able to convince them and also convinced a few other families, too. After securing them in Komotini he and his 3 friends joined the guerilla movement of CUP and withdrew till the Çatalca, İstanbul by time. The same volunteer group liberated Eastern Thrace a years later, and entered Western Thrace, declared the Turkish Republic there. When Ottomans give up from Western Thrace, Bulgarians occupied there and sent into exile(to Ottoman borders) the former government and brigades. They did not come back and we have never heard of them afterward. Probably continued to fight in WW1, the Turkish Independence War, and died.

oszkar07
11-20-2020, 09:27 AM
My Paternal Grandfather fought in the Hungarian army in WW2.
He was injured from a handgrenade but he survived . I knew him untill I was 19 yo then he passed away.
My Grandfather's Father in WW2 was also in Army and somehow ended up in Russian concentration camp for a few years but he survived it and returned to Hungary and lived into his 80's.
There is also a Family story that one of our distant ancestors was amongst the men travelling with Rakoczi Ferenc when he went into exile in Ottoman empire and settled in Rodostó /Tekirdag.

Moje ime
11-20-2020, 09:44 AM
Yes of course. All of them in all wars including the latest.

Mortimer
11-20-2020, 09:46 AM
My great grandfather fought on the solun-front, I dont know other ancestors. But I have relatives who fought in the wars in croatia, and kosovo in the 90s

PaleoEuropean
11-20-2020, 09:49 AM
My family tree was written in the blood of many uh foe.

alexmegas777
11-20-2020, 09:53 AM
both great grandfathers in WW2 the one from the maternal side got stabbed in the Battle of Odessa.

Serbian Eagle
11-20-2020, 01:16 PM
My great grandfather was member of Chetniks. He fought against Comunists under the command of Petar Baćović. My grandfather and father fought in Army of Republic of Srpska during wars in Bosnia.

Moje ime
11-20-2020, 01:28 PM
I had ancestors who were barely 18 years old and were Partizans in WW2 like 95% of Serbs of that age especially in last years of war.

Some of their offspring today don't want to admit that for some reason.

Autrigón
11-20-2020, 02:22 PM
Yes, I have a long history of wars in my family.

-Against the Roman Empire in the Cantabrian wars.
-Against the muslims in the Middle age.
-Against amerindians in America.
-During some centuries by land and sea around the globe here and there against portuguese, english, french, dutch, swedish, danish, some german states, austrians, philipines and Brunei. In the mediterranean sea against the Turkish navy and north african pirates.
-Against the french during the Napoleonic wars.
-Against latin americans during the wars of their independence.
-Against USA.
-Against Morocco
-In the spanish civil war.

and I think that's all, at least by now...

Chryssie Khanate
11-20-2020, 03:18 PM
I had ancestors who fought as Confederates in the Civil War lmao.

My English/French ancestors fought in many of the crusades & the Hundred Years' War as well.

ModernMaskil
11-20-2020, 04:18 PM
Yeah, one grandfather fought for the Canadians, and 2 great grandfathers for the British in WW2.

Roy
11-21-2020, 06:19 AM
Somehow my ancestors or their relatives managed to avoid the fate of fighting in the WWI or WII, well they were too young or too old. The oldest brother of my grandma though was lost / perished in the Warsaw Uprising.

French Rolland
11-23-2020, 08:39 AM
Some distant relatives fought in WW1 on French Front and Balkan front. My paternal great-grandfather fought in WW2 and ended as POW. He then became mercenary in Africa during the Congos wars. My great-uncle fought in Algeria.

Chris596
11-23-2020, 08:49 AM
Yes, one of my paternal great grandfather who served in WW2. The Soviets captured him and took him to Siberia (idk where exactly). He managed to escape and came back all the way to Romania.

Pater Patota
11-23-2020, 09:30 AM
Yes, a Greek mortar fell on my grand grandfather and nobody could find a single body part of him.

TheOldNorth
11-29-2020, 09:53 PM
At least five who fought in the American revolution, plenty who fought on both sides of the Hundred Years’ War, and Norman conquest of England, and Ireland, also plenty who fought the English/ Scottish conflicts around the time of Edward and Robert the Bruce.

TheOldNorth
11-29-2020, 09:55 PM
I had ancestors who fought as Confederates in the Civil War lmao.

My English/French ancestors fought in many of the crusades & the Hundred Years' War as well.

Any revolutionary ancestors?

billsoncreole26
01-08-2021, 07:48 PM
Yeah....

Maternal Great Uncle in the First Indochina War

Maternal Grandfather in the Algerian war

Paternal Grandfather WW2

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

Hithaeglir
01-08-2021, 07:57 PM
Yeah Greek revolution, WWI,WWII, Balkan Wars + Greco- Turkish war. Surprisingly they didn't have a single bad bone in them.

Skjaldemjøden
01-08-2021, 08:07 PM
My great-great-great-grandfather fought in the second Schleswig War in 1864. A cousin of mine has his epaulettes and sabre. A Jewish great-great-grandfather was killed in battle in WWI. A lot of cousins fought in WWII, but my grandfathers and great-grandfathers were either too old or too young.

Mejgusu
01-08-2021, 08:21 PM
Yes, the grandfather of the grandfather of my mother fought in Gallipoli, and i am not sure but either the grandfathers of my grandfathers grandfather or the great-grandfathers of my grandfathers grandfather (i know a bit confusing) fought(idk whether they died or survived?)in Balkan. And my granduncle fought in Korea.

oh-nahhh
01-08-2021, 10:14 PM
No.

Vrazijadivizija
01-08-2021, 10:33 PM
Great great grandfathers fought during ww1 and one of them went missing in Italy..While my Great Grandfathers both sided were anti partisans,one in Croatian 369 anti partisan legion(Wehrmacht) and one in Bosnian SS division called Handžar,one died in final heroic battle of Europe known as Odžak defending his homeland in 45 after ww2 was over and other one havent returned from the Eastern front..and then my Father beating Serbs back again in 90s..

Konstantinos
01-08-2021, 11:04 PM
Of course I do.

On my Sarakatsani side it's practically tradition, that's the way they survived for centuries. For instance I'll mention that my paternal gg-grandfather, g-grandfather and grandfather(thankfully he was the last one) all had the same rifle that is today stored behind the door at my grandparents' house.

On my Thracian side, several of my gg-grandparents were "rebels" for the Greek side. Technically Bulgarian citizens, they were obliged to join the Bulgarian army in the Balkan wars. They defected and fought behind the lines for the Greek army. There was a bounty on them and so they stayed in the mountains for ~15 years without being able to visit their village and see their families. They were reunited only when the population exchange took place.