PDA

View Full Version : Are you tired of these "Classify" threads?

Contra Mundum
09-26-2011, 01:06 AM
:zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz

Sikeliot
09-26-2011, 01:07 AM
They constitute a big part of the board and thus are important in my opinion. What if anything should be done is that we avoid multiple threads when we can put up more than one picture in each, and avoid reclassifying people for whom threads have already been made.

leisitox
09-26-2011, 01:07 AM
well, for me is just a "game", sometimes addictive and waiting for more classify threads :D. Is important part because I post here every day :D
Is interesting when someone make a thread of these and his/her phenotype is strange, just a game.
So you are tired of this?

Contra Mundum
09-26-2011, 01:21 AM
well, for me is just a "game", sometimes addictive and waiting for more classify threads :D. Is important part because I post here every day :D
Is interesting when someone make a thread of these and his/her phenotype is strange, just a game.
So you are tired of this?

I think they're dumb because people within a country look so differently from one another.

And a brunette man and woman can have a blonde baby with blue eyes. Some here will say the baby looks nordic yet probably classify the parents as something different. It just seems absurd to me.

Norbert
09-26-2011, 01:24 AM
They're the only reason I visit this forum :D

Ibericus
09-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Im only tired of the "do these non-european fit or overlap with Europeans" threads, they are lame and desperate.

Sikeliot
09-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Im only tired of the "do these non-european fit or overlap with Europeans" threads, they are lame and desperate.

The North African one is closed for good, so you don't have to worry about that one at least. The others never caused controversy.

Hess
09-26-2011, 01:37 AM
I like them, for the most part. The only anthropology threads I really tire from are the "do these cherry picked people from X Levantine country look European" ones.

Norbert
09-26-2011, 01:38 AM
The North African one is closed for good, so you don't have to worry about that one at least. The others never caused controversy.

They encourage race-mixing in my opinion.

jerney
09-26-2011, 01:41 AM

They're just stupid and obnoxious.

Sikeliot
09-26-2011, 01:43 AM
They're just stupid and obnoxious.

Then don't comment, simple as that.

jerney
09-26-2011, 01:47 AM
Then don't comment, simple as that.

I shouldn't comment to say something is stupid? Why not? I think most of your threads are ridiculous, tell me why I shouldn't share my opinion. Btw, you never responded to me the last time I replied to you in the Greek thread.

Sikeliot
09-26-2011, 01:49 AM
I shouldn't comment to say something is stupid? Why not? I think most of your threads are ridiculous, tell me why I shouldn't share my opinion. Btw, you never responded to me the last time I replied to you in the Greek thread.

I mean don't comment on threads you find stupid, it's a waste of your time to do so.

And I did comment. I said, there is no reason to believe my threads are any more dubious than anyone else's, thus, the people I post are no less likely to be the ethnicity I state they are than those anyone else posts are. Anyway, I'm not going to waste my time arguing this, and this thread is pointless in and of itself, because obviously taxonomy threads are going to continue whether people are sick of them or not. I got my answers on all of the threads (the Levantine, North African, and Armenian ones) so I just locked them, now everyone can stop complaining.

SilverKnight
09-26-2011, 02:14 AM
Nope!. Fine with me :)

never gets boring..

Svipdag
09-26-2011, 02:16 AM
Real anthropologists must laugh at these silly efforts. Skull shape is only one element in a real classification. Too often, these efforts at classification are based on a single photograph., The skull is 3-dimensional; at least one other view is needed to get ANY idea of its true shape.

However, subjective impressions of distances and shapes are useless for classification. Anthropological classification has to be be based on MEASUREMENTS with calipers. You people aren't DOING anthropological classification, you're just PLAYING at it.

Frankly, I find your silly guessing game very tiresome.

"DULCE EST DESIPERE IN LOCO" - QVINTVS HORATIVS FLACCVS

Norbert
09-26-2011, 02:20 AM

But it's fun :D

I kind of agree with you though.

Contra Mundum
09-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Mothers have been known to reshape their newborn infants heads. I know in America this is a common practice with blacks who want their newborns to have a more European head shape than an African one.

Laubach
09-26-2011, 03:33 AM

i agree!

Sikeliot
09-26-2011, 03:36 AM
i agree!

They're all done, so no worries .:thumb001:

Han Cholo
09-26-2011, 03:36 AM
I like the threads but we should take a next step and make threads about interplanetary life: Can Klingons overlap with Humans? Do all aliens look like Greys? Can Annunakis overlap with Spaniards? Are Sicilians of reptilian origin? Can Basques adapt to space life?

GeistFaust
09-26-2011, 03:59 AM
Real anthropologists must laugh at these silly efforts. Skull shape is only one element in a real classification. Too often, these efforts at classification are based on a single photograph., The skull is 3-dimensional; at least one other view is needed to get ANY idea of its true shape.

However, subjective impressions of distances and shapes are useless for classification. Anthropological classification has to be be based on MEASUREMENTS with calipers. You people aren't DOING anthropological classification, you're just PLAYING at it.

"DULCE EST DESIPERE IN LOCO" - QVINTVS HORATIVS FLACCVS

This is true in a sense but than again even if its subjectively based we are approximating to a certain degree the actual types which anthropologists have given us. I think the question for you individuals who think of it as being nothing as a silly guessing game should just not ask such questions. I think its just frivilous and petty that this thread is even in existence if you think of it as being such a frivilous pasttime than that is your issue keep it to yourself and don't force your opinions down the throats of those who like to engage in it. A similar question could be asked why do people like to play video games because I don't see much production being done during the process of playing a video game. At least in the course of classifying we are attempting to learn something that is meaningful even if some people might not find it productive, useful, or meaningful. This thread is a fail due to its existence complaints should be taken to the lounge especially complaints that are as unproductive and meaningless as the topic of interest it launches a subtle attack on.

Loddfafner
09-26-2011, 04:31 AM
I confess I am tired of the classification threads but I could not check that box in the poll. I do not believe they are dumb at all. I am just not all that interested and have little to contribute. I have, in my travels, noted that different regions do have distinct kinds of faces and would like to pin down what it is that suggests a person in the US looks, say, vaguely Polish.

I am glad that Safety Pin has the patience to keep them tended, and I respect that there is a sizable contingent here that finds them consistently interesting. My tiredness of them is based more on the constant flow of reported posts that I feel compelled to attend to, only to find out that the complaints were trivial ones. The "Apricity is not a Schoolyard" post addressed that problem, and I am glad that the main culprits have slowed down their whining to a manageable level.

Rather than seeing a limit to the classification threads, I would like to see a revival of the other themes on this site.

Boudica
09-26-2011, 05:03 AM
It is a bit annoying to see the latest post box solely full of classification related threads and nothing else. BUT I realize that it's not a big deal, I'm not going to bitch at some one over the internet and tell them to stop posting about topics that they are interested in or want to learn about. I realize that everyone has their own interests, and even though their interests may be displayed in a very repititive manor on the forum, it shouldn't really take a huge effect on any down to earth person.. I also take into consideration that taxonomy/classifications aren't exactly a main topic in real life.. No one that I know in life has any idea wtf an "atlanto med" or "faelid" is at least..

No one is forced to look at these threads, no one is holding a gun up to an uninterested person's head demanding them to be opened. Sure, you see the threads everywhere and they fill up the latest post box at times, but it's not as if these thread titles are encoded with acid and have an eye burning effect if you bare the sight of them or something.. Simply move on/scroll down and open/participate in threads that you are interested in.. It's not a big deal, lol.. There are other things in life to worry about and get worked up about then people posting classification threads, lol..

Fra Baldracco
09-26-2011, 08:42 PM
hey wait,are we sicilians a bunch of north africans with armenoid nose while portugal is fuckin west atlantic so fuckin great.....

research_centre
09-26-2011, 08:52 PM
They constitute a big part of the board and thus are important in my opinion. What if anything should be done is that we avoid multiple threads when we can put up more than one picture in each, and avoid reclassifying people for whom threads have already been made.

I agree, and I notice the mention about mixed groups of "ethnicities," all Europeans, going back far enough, are a mixed group of ethnicities (or anthropological heritage.) We are examining the current day resulting gene pool against our history and from that gaining knowledge of where we are today and will be tomorrow. Isn’t that a basis for the forum in the first place? That is what we are looking into, where specific genetic traits reside, in what parts of Europe and the World.

The classification boards are very educational part of this process for both new and seasoned members.

Damião de Góis
09-26-2011, 08:54 PM
hey wait,are we sicilians a bunch of north africans with armenoid nose

Nah, i don't think that's true...

while portugal is fuckin west atlantic so fuckin great.....

Well, i look at the Atlantic Ocean every day actually, when i pass the Lisbon bridge. :D

billErobreren
09-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't really give a rat's ass about them to be honest mainly cuz I don't take it seriously.

I only posted because many of these folks crack me the fuck up it's cute they actually think they're being anthropologists. come on:laugh: that's funny...maybe I'm just a sadist & an enabler either way I try to ignore most of them. My advice is move on to another one or just make your own if you hate a certain thread it's that simple.

research_centre
09-26-2011, 08:57 PM
hey wait,are we sicilians a bunch of north africans with armenoid nose while portugal is fuckin west atlantic so fuckin great.....

Absolutely not.

Fra Baldracco
09-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Nah, i don't think that's true...

Well, i look at the Atlantic Ocean every day actually, when i pass the Lisbon bridge. :D

Eh eh there are many peoples who look at the same ocean from very different regions..I am sure that you'll get my point.

Fra Baldracco
09-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Absolutely not.

ask her if you please and the billions of threads " are sicilians closer to north africa,algeria or uganda?" "are apulians closer to madagascar or brazil?"

Damião de Góis
09-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Eh eh there are many peoples who look at the same ocean from very different regions..I am sure that you'll get my point.

Yes of course, same as the Mediterranean. :p

Fra Baldracco
09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Yes of course, same as the Mediterranean. :p

EH EH so we are both N.A. muito prazer,voce gosta de kebab?

safinator
09-26-2011, 09:05 PM
No, can never have enough of them!

Damião de Góis
09-26-2011, 09:05 PM
EH EH so we are both N.A. muito prazer,voce gosta de kebab?

Gosto sim, mas isso é turco e não do norte de África :thumb001:

Falkata
09-26-2011, 11:06 PM

Genetically portugueses are west europeans. We canīt say the same about sicilians though. This is not a opinion but a fact.

askra
09-26-2011, 11:09 PM
i think they are the main interest for the users that visit the site

Sikeliot
09-26-2011, 11:12 PM

They are, and most people's first thread posted is their own classification thread. This tells us something. :thumb001:

Contra Mundum
09-26-2011, 11:19 PM

I have to agree.

Mordid
09-26-2011, 11:34 PM
If they make a lame thread, then yes.

Loki
09-26-2011, 11:41 PM
An undeniably large part of this forum, and I think safety pin is doing a great job in keeping it in order. :)

Seeker
09-26-2011, 11:44 PM
PageRank just loves classification threads, nuff said.

Fra Baldracco
09-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Genetically portugueses are west europeans. We canīt say the same about sicilians though. This is not a opinion but a fact.

you can keep your west continental bla bla I keep 3 thousand years and more of philosophy,literature and art of my Sicily.

Humanophage
09-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Well, the classification threads might not be extremely precise from the point of physical anthropology, but from the point of cultural anthropology they are quite reasonable. I am not at all fond of the ones with improper pictures, which seem to be posted all too often, but the proper ones are good.

It is interesting how individuals are perceived ethnically and what their transnational racial affinity is. In general, 'ethnicity' is often a bit of a cultural fraud which unites racially dissimilar individuals, even if they are mixed. Nationalism claims nations are homogeneous, early physical anthropology made it seem like they weren't at all homogeneous, and population genetics places it somewhere in-between.

And then there may be many stereotypes about an ethnicity, but if you see the race of a person without the ethnic context, these stereotypes are discarded and your judgement is clear.

Guessing ethnicity with precision is silly, but saying where a person would fit is a decent addition to classification.

And a brunette man and woman can have a blonde baby with blue eyes. Some here will say the baby looks nordic yet probably classify the parents as something different. It just seems absurd to me.
It is the result, not the parents that matter. If the child inherits the genes for blue eyes and gets those blue eyes, then it is their inherent racial characteristic. For instance, my grandmother has brown eyes, but my own genetic chance of having brown eyes is about 1%, and indeed they are blue.

Hevneren
09-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Yes, when I see 5-6 such threads in a row, I feel it's a little too much. Nothing wrong with them in general, but I think there are other topics too.

Wanderlust
09-27-2011, 08:58 AM
no I am not, but some of them should be merged

Falkata
09-27-2011, 09:51 AM
you can keep your west continental bla bla I keep 3 thousand years and more of philosophy,literature and art of my Sicily.

Thatīs pretty cool too although it seems there are many italians who donīt feel so proud about you since the stereotypes about italians come from your land. Iīve noticed many people from Milan, Torino... donīt want to be associated with your people :eek:

Absinthe
09-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Somebody edited the poll options since yesterday, or at least I don't remember the first option being "Yes, they're dumb because most countries are an uneven mix of ethnicities" :P

Anyway:
even though I vastly enjoy classifying people for fun and the occasional guessing games, lately they seem to be taking over the forum in a manner unseen so far :eek:

I am not against them per se but the urge to start new threads should be moderated a bit :p
Safinator, don't take me wrong, but I think in the last few months we have been acquainted to every single female in Albania in the 18-20 age group :p I mean seriously there has to be hundreds of them! :D It is not annoying per se, but in combination with all the other threads and especially the "where do these people fit" threads it is getting a little bit out of hand, imo :) You guys/girls should keep them coming but in a regulated way, imo :)

Fra Baldracco
09-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Thatīs pretty cool too although it seems there are many italians who donīt feel so proud about you since the stereotypes about italians come from your land. Iīve noticed many people from Milan, Torino... donīt want to be associated with your people :eek:

And so? It's their problem not mine.

beaver
09-27-2011, 02:22 PM
I never could understand why non-anthropofans are so interested in getting some cliche like "east nordid with some dinaric influences" :D IMHO such things could be of interest only for crazy anthropofans understanding (more or less) this "bird language" when they examine some pic and compare it with opinions of other posters. Its much easier to say e.g. "pontid" for some pic than to describe all features. But all this paradigm with subraces (like blue-eyed nordids-aryans walking across the Eurasia) is out of the time.

Allenson
09-27-2011, 02:34 PM
The only thing I tire of is people hedging their bets with answers like NordoAlpinoCroMagnoAtlantoDinarmenoidal with Baltoid admixture. ;)

Allenson
09-27-2011, 02:43 PM
No one is forced to look at these threads, no one is holding a gun up to an uninterested person's head demanding them to be opened. ..

Oh yeah? :p

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6174/6189123466_0e59fd7340_o.jpg

research_centre
09-27-2011, 02:51 PM
And so? It's their problem not mine.

I agree. I frankly have relatives in Sicily that want nothing to do Milan.

research_centre
09-27-2011, 02:54 PM

Where do you "notice" these people? from your television? Please spare me with this "don't want to be associated with your people" bullshit, that goes both ways.

Loki
09-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Oh yeah? :p

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6174/6189123466_0e59fd7340_o.jpg

LOL!! :D

In all seriousness though, Boudica is right. :) This is obviously not everyone's hobby and interest, so these threads can simply be ignored. There are plenty of other discussions going on.

I rarely view classification threads myself since I'm really bored with it. I manage to overlook these threads and find ones that interest me. Why do others struggle so much to accomplish that? :confused: It really can't be that hard.

Falkata
09-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Where do you "notice" these people? from your television? Please spare me with this "don't want to be associated with your people" bullshit, that goes both ways.

Iīve noticed some in this forum and Iīve met one in real life
Anyway these dudes have many votes

http://lacombi.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/lega20nord.jpg

Their words about the "terrone" can be very offensive

research_centre
09-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Iīve noticed some in this forum and Iīve met one in real life
Anyway these dudes have many votes

http://lacombi.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/lega20nord.jpg

Their words about the "terrone" can be very offensive

Yeah, yeah, yeah ...sure but mainly IMHO well-orchestrated political front power play BULLSHIT. Don't listen, see and then believe everything put in front of you. I haven't for years.

guyinsf
09-28-2011, 06:06 AM
I'm not really tired of these threads asking people to classify. I'm just tired period!...from working so much all the time!

Ibericus
09-28-2011, 02:54 PM
This thread was not about classifiy threads, it was about the "do these non-euros pass in Europe" kind of threads. Somebody changed the title.

Loki
09-30-2011, 08:19 AM
This thread was not about classifiy threads, it was about the "do these non-euros pass in Europe" kind of threads. Somebody changed the title.

The answer to that would be the same - it would interest some, others not. If not, simply ignore. I myself find it quite interesting (as opposed to the tired-old classify ones).

Drawing-slim
09-30-2011, 08:44 AM
this is what makes this forum interesting, although i never comment on these threads because i have no clue, but im intrigued because these people that classify faces seem to know something::D

for example, after i got classified within ten minutes i got deported back to mecca by batavi:D:D you see?? preservation at its finest! lool

(realx batavi, joking. lets not turn this thread into politics)