Interesting vid

https://youtu.be/HARZinkyP1k

Luso
12-06-2020, 07:39 PM
bump

El_Abominacion
12-06-2020, 07:59 PM
The guy is right essentially

I don't consider it a dialect of Portuguese simply because Galician developed with major Castilian input, despite it being from the same root as the modern day Portuguese language. It's somewhat similar to the dynamic of Hindi and Urdu; both deriving from Hindustani and splitting off with Urdu taking a load of Persian loan words

Portuguese natives often find it easy to understand Galician and Galician is of course more similar to modern Portuguese than modern Castilian.

Pedro Ruben
12-07-2020, 11:34 AM
The Galician / Galician language is currently considered a language, like the Portuguese language, originating in a common medieval language called "Galician-Portuguese/ Galaico-portugues". Galician is in essence very similar to the dialects of northern Portugal, but Galicia is part of Spain and the fact that the Galician language was banned at some point in history, made Galician absorb a lot of influence from the Castilian language. Current Portuguese is based on the center / south dialects of Portugal, which further distances it from Galician, since Galician has greater similarities with the dialects of northern Portugal. Another factor that contributed to differentiate Portuguese from Galician was the influence of Mozarabic dialects in center / south Portuguese, which became the "standard" of standard Portuguese.

Token
12-07-2020, 11:39 AM
Interestingly for many Brazilians, spoken Galician is easier to understand than Lisbon Portuguese.

Luso
12-08-2020, 01:09 AM
The Galician / Galician language is currently considered a language, like the Portuguese language, originating in a common medieval language called "Galician-Portuguese/ Galaico-portugues". Galician is in essence very similar to the dialects of northern Portugal, but Galicia is part of Spain and the fact that the Galician language was banned at some point in history, made Galician absorb a lot of influence from the Castilian language. Current Portuguese is based on the center / south dialects of Portugal, which further distances it from Galician, since Galician has greater similarities with the dialects of northern Portugal. Another factor that contributed to differentiate Portuguese from Galician was the influence of Mozarabic dialects in center / south Portuguese, which became the "standard" of standard Portuguese.

Ty Brotha

Latinus
12-08-2020, 01:29 AM
These days I watching one of those videos of comparision between the language of natives of Northern Portugal and Galicia... I could understand Galician more clearly.

NSXD60
12-08-2020, 01:45 AM
They are dialects of each other.

Parça do Neymar
12-08-2020, 01:49 AM
Roughly speaking, it sounds like a native Castilian-speaker trying to speak Portuguese, there's a Castilian input in the pronunciation.

Could be the particular voice of the video though, the Castilian-like accent isn't as thick here (save for the girl at 1:08).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU0u4FBYzrs

Luso
12-08-2020, 01:59 AM
Roughly speaking, it sounds like a native Castilian-speaker trying to speak Portuguese, there's a Castilian input in the pronunciation.

Could be the particular voice of the video though, the Castilian-like accent isn't as thick here (save for the girl at 1:08).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU0u4FBYzrs

I heard CARALHO :) :rolleyes:

Latinus
12-08-2020, 02:01 AM
I heard CARALHO :) :rolleyes:

I want distance from caralhos.

Tooting Carmen
12-12-2020, 07:01 PM
No. Galician is a lot closer to Castilian than is Portuguese.

Tenma de Pegasus
12-12-2020, 07:09 PM
Sim, depois de um século sendo cagada por Madri tinha que mudar mesmo...