PDA

View Full Version : Test-tube babies & sperm donation

Sahson
09-27-2011, 05:01 AM
OKay, I was curious to see how people felt about this. Test-tube babies are just one rung down the ladder from designer babies, and two rungs down from cloning.

There are a lot infertile couples, and homosexual couples that use this system, because as you can imagine it's rather difficult for two females or males to procreate.

Over here in Australia a lot of red-tape has some donors, not wanting to donate, because you're registered, etc. which has people crying for sperm donations. Some however want to meet the donor, and know who they are. But the laws prevent this.

The recipient couples must remain anonymous to the donor. The clinic can only tell donors if there have been any children born, but no other information. If the donor would like further information about the family this could be gained via the Voluntary Register. Importantly, donors are to remain anonymous to the recipient. The donor is not considered a legal parent. As a donor you have no legal rights or responsibilities. All the clinics records are strictly confidential. The clinics do not tell anyone (apart from the health department) the donors identifying details.

Before this year donors could only make 5 donations, but the screaming demand has forced them to raise donations quotas to a max of 25.

While we can say that it is a good thing that caucasians can provide other infertile caucasian couples, and homosexual couples children, it also keeps the caucasian fertility rate up to, trying to make sure we don't become extinct. It allows the donor to keep his dna in the human race longer, the elimination process of a donor is more harder, than a family man of one kid. The stuff of legends like Niall the nine hostages, Genghis kahn, and atilla the hun.

However sperm donations can also be a weapon in creating mixed race children, there's the question that you can destroy the child's sense of belonging, and deeply hurt them mentally for not knowing the truth.

So what do people think? good? bad? should it be allowed?

Argyll
09-27-2011, 11:45 AM
One of my best friends was actually a test tube baby. Her dad(s) are homosexual, but before, her biological father was married to a woman, and it was hard for them to have sex, so they made a test tube baby :D

Albion
04-02-2012, 10:44 PM
OKay, I was curious to see how people felt about this. Test-tube babies are just one rung down the ladder from designer babies, and two rungs down from cloning.

I'm not sure what I think about it yet, it's quite a complex issue. Designer babies and cloning I'm dead-set against.

There are a lot infertile couples, and homosexual couples that use this system, because as you can imagine it's rather difficult for two females or males to procreate.

I think infertile couples should have the opportunity to have kids, the problem is that they'll always know that its not theirs and that will be on their minds forever.
Also I disagree with homosexual couples having kids at all, so sperm donors should be given the choice of whether they donate sperm to homosexual couples or not. Of course this would never happen though, it'd be "discrimination" and "homophobic".

Over here in Australia a lot of red-tape has some donors, not wanting to donate, because you're registered, etc. which has people crying for sperm donations. Some however want to meet the donor, and know who they are. But the laws prevent this.

Apparently Australians on gap year make up a lot of the sperm donors in London, so at least there's some good European genetics there.

As a donor you have no legal rights or responsibilities.[/B] All the clinics records are strictly confidential. The clinics do not tell anyone (apart from the health department) the donors identifying details.

Well that's how it should be. If you see the offspring you'd want to become involved in bringing them up and you'd want to tell them you're their dad. That's why the identity must remain a secret.

Before this year donors could only make 5 donations, but the screaming demand has forced them to raise donations quotas to a max of 25.

It's quite amazing really, to think there could be men with 25 kids they've never met potentially, maybe 2 more with their wife at home.
If you're a man and want to further your genes but don't necessarily care how then that is the way! :rolleyes:

While we can say that it is a good thing that caucasians can provide other infertile caucasian couples,

Yes, that's good. Sadly they could go to other racial couples too (can they ask for certain races?)

and homosexual couples children,

Which is very bad. Hopefully their straight genetics would keep them from growing up to be gay or else all that furthering of genes would have been wasted.

it also keeps the caucasian fertility rate up to, trying to make sure we don't become extinct. It allows the donor to keep his dna in the human race longer, the elimination process of a donor is more harder, than a family man of one kid. The stuff of legends like Niall the nine hostages, Genghis kahn, and atilla the hun.

Yeah, so long as they are Caucasian though. I suppose most will, but no doubt you'd get some women asking for a black or asian baby. :rolleyes2:

However sperm donations can also be a weapon in creating mixed race children, there's the question that you can destroy the child's sense of belonging, and deeply hurt them mentally for not knowing the truth.

I think it hurts them but such people usually grow up to be much stronger individuals than anyone else.

So what do people think? good? bad? should it be allowed?

It should be allowed, but donors should have say over basic things such as whether it goes to a gay or straight couple and whether they couple should be of the same race of can be of any race.

One of my best friends was actually a test tube baby. Her dad(s) are homosexual, but before, her biological father was married to a woman, and it was hard for them to have sex, so they made a test tube baby

Good god, was his wife that bad? ;) Was the girl messed up too or did she grow up to be straight?

Kalitas
04-02-2012, 10:54 PM
I would never sell my seed, thatīs insane. I will not give rise to chances of my kind to racially degenerate

Albion
04-02-2012, 11:25 PM
I would never sell my seed, thatīs insane. I will not give rise to chances of my kind to racially degenerate

Exactly, that's why there should be some controls.

The thing is you can only control what your offspring do with their lives to a certain extent. With sperm donation I suppose you'd just have to hope for the best. :ohwell:

Benacer
04-02-2012, 11:31 PM
I really see no problem with it, it is good for society as a whole. If people want to have mixed babies, they will do it with or without your help anyways.