PDA

View Full Version : The Western Outlands and their future

Bugarash
09-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Bulgarians protest against the treaty of Neuilly-sur-Seine

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Protests_against_Treaty_of_Neuilly-sur-Seine_1929.jpg

protest-90 years since the treaty

beJljOqHokQ

I get the feeling that many serbs are ready to return these regions to Bulgaria in order to have good realations between the two countries...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Bulgaria_after_Treatry_of_Neuilly-sur-Seine.png

The Treaty of Neuilly-sur-Seine, dealing with Bulgaria for its role as one of the Central Powers in World War I, was signed on 27 November 1919 at Neuilly-sur-Seine, France.
The treaty required Bulgaria to cede Western Thrace to the Entente, (which ceded it to Greece at the San Remo conference) thereby cutting off its direct outlet to the Aegean Sea and an area of 2563 km² on the western border to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. The treaty also forced Bulgaria to return Southern Dobruja, which had been captured during the war and restored the border set by the Treaty of Bucharest (1913). Bulgaria was also required to reduce its army to 20,000 men, pay reparations of £100 million, and recognize the existence of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. The signing ceremony was held in Neuilly's town hall (hôtel de ville).
In Bulgaria, the results of the treaty are popularly known as the Second National Catastrophe. Bulgaria regained South Dobruja as a result of the Treaty of Craiova and during World War II together with Nazi Germany, temporarily reoccupied most of the other territories ceded by the treaty.

Four minor regions (historiographically referred to as the Western Outlands by Bulgarians) had formed a part of Bulgaria (excluding the region around Strumitsa, which became part of Bulgaria in 1912) from its inception as a principality in 1878. Bulgaria became internationally recognised as an independent country in 1908 and controlled these territories until 1919 when they were ceded to the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes (later renamed to the Kingdom of Yugoslavia) under the Treaty of Neuilly. The cession of the region was partly a compensation for the occupation of the southern and eastern part of Serbia by Bulgarian troops in the period between 1915 and 1918 and partly served strategic grounds. The old political boundary between Bulgaria and Serbia followed a chain of high mountain ridges, whereas the new one gave significant military and strategic advantages to the Serbs exposing dangerously the Bulgarian capital of Sofia and thus reducing significantly the military threat for eastern Serbia in case of a new Bulgarian invasion (see also Balkan Wars and World War I).
The Treaty of Neuilly was one in the series of treaties after World War I (like the Treaty of Versailles, Treaty of Saint-Germain, Treaty of Trianon, Treaty of Sèvres) which were meant to diminish the military and political strength of the defeated members of the Central Powers. As a result of this, some areas with absolute Bulgarian majority[citation needed] (such as Bosilegrad and a part of the Dimitrovgrad municipality) were ceded to Serbia (within the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes).
Bulgarian sources claim[citation needed] that the treaty was to last for twenty years and that all territories should have been returned to Bulgaria in 1939, but that was not specified in the treaty.

poiuytrewq0987
09-28-2011, 02:08 PM
If you didn't want to lose those territories in the first place then you shouldn't have declared war on us in WW1. The Bulgarians don't even make up a large majority in Bosilegrad nor Dimitrovgrad anymore so it would be pretty much pointless to return them today. I think it's pretty ridiculous that the biggest nationalists are always from FYROM with an identity crisis like you...

Bugarash
09-28-2011, 02:10 PM
we just want what is ours:)

Bugarash
09-28-2011, 02:14 PM
If you didn't want to lose those territories in the first place then you shouldn't have declared war on us in WW1. The Bulgarians don't even make up a large majority in Bosilegrad nor Dimitrovgrad anymore so it would be pretty much pointless to return them today. I think it's pretty ridiculous that the biggest nationalists are always from FYROM with an identity crisis like you...

thats a reather stupid excuse...

they are 99,9% of the population;)
dont look at the census,I have been in Dimitrovgrad many times and once in Bosilegrad and all ofthe declare ''other'',''not declared'',''yugoslavs'',''serbs''...are all Bulgarians,they just try to avoid descrimination and the stalinist era methods the serbian state is imposing on them...

morski
09-28-2011, 03:35 PM

hahaha you are funny:D

Thundermark
09-30-2011, 07:39 AM
t's pretty ridiculous that the biggest nationalists are always from FYROM with an identity crisis like you...

It is also pretty ridiculous that the biggest chetniks are from lands that are not Serbian like Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Identity crisis?