PDA

View Full Version : How big are the current Protests in Athens?

Siberyak
09-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Just wondering? Are people starting to get very angry? I want to know from someone in Greece.

poiuytrewq0987
09-28-2011, 06:28 PM
A bunch of losers who built their lives around public welfare (service) are now crying that their wages won't be so lofty anymore.

Absinthe
09-28-2011, 06:45 PM
A bunch of losers who built their lives around public welfare (service) are now crying that their wages won't be so lofty anymore.
Which part from "I want to know from someone in Greece" did you not understand, Dusan? :rolleyes:

This has been the case before, but this time the protests are largely justified, as the austerity measures extend (and actually affect even more) to the people who aren't to blame for the current situation.

Low-salary workers in the private sector, unemployed, pensioners, physically disabled, large families, and generally the poorest people are the ones who are called to pay the highest taxes whereas the rich and the corrupt are, as usual, going unpunished. Actually that is the whole point, that the government is unwilling/unable to chase the big fish so they try to find the money elsewhere - the normal people, who also happen to be the only honest tax payers.

It is *really* hard to live in Athens right now, all public transport is on strike 2-3 days/week, there is no means to go to work other than walking or having someone else to drive you there (if possible). As for me, I have been walking an average of 12km every day to go to work (it wouldn't be so bad if the roads/pavements where in a better shape, plus it is dangerous areas we're talking about, criminality wise).

Speaking of which, criminality (mostly from immigrants) has skyrocketed because the crisis affects them too.

Another thing I must add, is that small shops are closing down on a massive scale. Yesterday I was searching all over my area for a shop to buy some small curtains, and every shop I knew that sells such stuff is now closed down. Small businesses cannot survive...

Siberyak
09-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I am just wondering what the general mood is in Athens? I live in America and as you all know the American media is far from honest. I have seen some pretty big crowds in the pictures.

Absinthe
09-29-2011, 07:03 AM
The mood is very worried and gloomy, but I think the media are exaggerating a bit. It is not a warzone (yet).

ikki
09-29-2011, 07:38 AM
bicycle is totally out? I would imagine such 12km trips are best handled by bicycle. Like a foldable one.. (that can be stored in the office, or in a kitchen without too much trouble)

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/02/buygreen-large-wheel-folding-bikes.php

Absinthe
09-29-2011, 07:45 AM
bicycle is totally out? I would imagine such 12km trips are best handled by bicycle. Like a foldable one.. (that can be stored in the office, or in a kitchen without too much trouble)

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/02/buygreen-large-wheel-folding-bikes.php
I know, that's what everybody keeps telling me, but the truth is rather shameful to admit ....

I don't know how to ride a bicycle!! :eek: Ok, I know, it's absurd, but what can er do... so sue me :D

On the exercise, fast walking is very good exercise as well, I especially enjoy doing it in the morning because it burns more calories, and helps me wake up.

It is also, absurd as it may be, less dangerous than riding a bicycle, as there are no designated bicycle routes in Athens, and the bicycle has to run along with the traffic, while at the same time Greek car drivers are notorious. So there are more chances for a bicycle rider to be run over by a car, than a pedestrian. :....

ikki
09-29-2011, 08:04 AM
hehe, no.. worse. Much worse.
Ill teach you to bicycle whenever i get the chance :D

"Come now, get up, yes ill keep it steady.. dont worry ill keep you up.."

Or ride among the pedestrians, its not like anyone else is paying much attention to "laws"

Loki
09-29-2011, 01:15 PM

The only loser I see here is you. We've had enough of your continued insults towards other people, and you have no sensitivity either when people are in dire straits.

Aces High
09-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Low-salary workers in the private sector, unemployed, pensioners, physically disabled, large families, and generally the poorest people are the ones who are called to pay the highest taxes

It is *really* hard to live in Athens right now, all public transport is on strike 2-3 days/week,

Are people generally sympathetic to the strikers or is there general animosity towards them..?

Absinthe
09-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Are people generally sympathetic to the strikers or is there general animosity towards them..?
Mixed.

From what I hear from acquaintances, and the comments I read in the comment section of the news, there is great controversy.

Some people support the strikes and protests and keep quoting this fucking nauseating cliche excerpt by Martin Niemöller (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came%E2%80%A6) which I feel that if I read one more time my eyes are going to melt out of my head, in reply to the others that had enough of the strikes and prompt people to go back to work.

I think the ones in favour of the protests and strikes are either the same people whose interests are being jeopardized, or some very naive and idealistic people, or trolls.

On the other hand, there is so many people that don't belong in the above groups that even though they are angry themselves, they think perpetual striking is not the solution, we need to get back to work, especially now. Most that work in the private sector think that the unions that organize the strikes are corrupt and are pushing their own agendas (which is true).

Siberyak
09-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Could the streets of Athens turn into a war zone? Could it get that bad? I know if I lived in Athens and and all hell broke lose I would be going after immigrants.

Damiăo de Góis
09-30-2011, 01:08 AM
Does the Greek media make comparisons between Greece and Portugal or Ireland?