PDA

View Full Version : Does the price seem reasonable?

Absinthe
03-31-2009, 02:36 PM
A friend of mine says he came across some guy who's into historical research or something, and he is in possession of a 1930's german map of Europe (original), one with a very detailed description of how the states (and tribes) of Europe where formed at the time.

I haven't seen the map myself but my friend claims it is very impressive and useful for academic purposes.

The price for the map is 80 euros. Assuming the map is authentic, and one is genuinely interested in acquiring it, do you think that is a reasonable price? :)

Treffie
03-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Assuming it was authentic, yes. While you're there, can you get me one too? Sounds intriguing.;)

Absinthe
03-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Ok, I'll ask if he has one more to spare :D

Manifest Destiny
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
It seems like a good price to me. I'd love to see it, actually.

Absinthe
03-31-2009, 02:52 PM
If he gets it, then I might be able to photograph it (although I am not sure how much detail would show in that case). :)

Manifest Destiny
03-31-2009, 02:53 PM
If he gets it, then I might be able to photograph it (although I am not sure how much detail would show in that case). :)

Do you have a scanner hooked up to your computer?

Absinthe
03-31-2009, 02:55 PM
Sure I do. I am just guessing the map would be too big to fit in the scanner (unless you have an idea I am too dumb to think about such as folding and scanning one piece at a time :p) :)

Manifest Destiny
03-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Sure I do. I am just guessing the map would be too big to fit in the scanner (unless you have an idea I am too dumb to think about such as folding and scanning one piece at a time :p) :)

I wouldn't put any folds in it that aren't already there, but there might be a way to move the map around and scan different areas until you get it all.

Absinthe
03-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok, if he buys it and I meet him sometime soon (he lives in northern Greece), I *promise* to acquire a copy of it, somehow :thumbs

Allenson
03-31-2009, 03:22 PM
A friend of mine says he came across some guy who's into historical research or something, and he is in possession of a 1930's german map of Europe (original), one with a very detailed description of how the states (and tribes) of Europe where formed at the time.

I haven't seen the map myself but my friend claims it is very impressive and useful for academic purposes.

The price for the map is 80 euros. Assuming the map is authentic, and one is genuinely interested in acquiring it, do you think that is a reasonable price? :)

Well, my fulltime job revolves around maps & cartography so.....

First of all, I looked through our collection, which does contain some 300,000 maps but I didn't find one that fit this description here. But, if you can find out the title and the author/cartographer, I can check some resources I know of regarding the pricing of old maps.

Right now, 80 Euros is about $105. It's hard to say if this is fair or not, not knowing much about the map. If it's a rare map, then sure, this sounds reasonable. Let me know what you find out. :)

Fortis in Arduis
03-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Yes, I think that sounds quite reasonable, really.

How much would you pay for a crappy print in an art gallery?