PDA

View Full Version : Denmark Imposes World’s First Fatty Food Tax

Storm
10-01-2011, 06:57 PM
The bacon doughnut cheeseburger will be very, very expensive in Copenhagen.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/Supermarket_z_flagami_%28ubt%29.JPG/300px-Supermarket_z_flagami_%28ubt%29.JPG

This weekend, thousands of people across Denmark are rushing to the supermarkets to fill their carts with butter, milk, oil, and meat. But rest assured, there isn’t a severe weather or imminent apocalyptic concern this time around. Instead, this weekend, Denmark’s government has imposed the world’s first ever fat tax, mandating an additional charge of 16 kroner ($2.87) per kilo of saturated fat in all food products. The goal is to curb the country’s obesity rate, which is currently below 10% of the population. Analysts worry the policy may be anti-competitive, while ordinary people worry their access to sweet, sweet foods may be compromised.

Image courtesy of Reuters.

Source - http://www.themarknews.com/articles/6924-denmark-imposes-worlds-first-fatty-food-tax

Jon Snow
10-01-2011, 11:22 PM
This law is retarded.

Most modern Westerners who are overweight need to reduce their carbohydrate intake more than anything else.

Aces High
10-02-2011, 05:26 PM
They should just sell all the fatty foods in one big shop ten miles outside of every town on the top of a hill that can only be approached on foot.

Hevneren
10-02-2011, 05:47 PM
They should just sell all the fatty foods in one big shop ten miles outside of every town on the top of a hill that can only be approached on foot.

You've never been to Denmark, have you?

Absinthe
10-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Funny :p

A well-meant measure, I presume. I wouldn't mind it myself, but on the other hand preventive measures are better: encourage people from a very young age, to be physically active in sports, exercise, walking, etc.

I think what's killing us is not so much the diet itself, but the combination of diet with the urban sedentary lifestyle, along with smoking, drinking, etc.

If you fix any of these factors alone (diet, smoking, drinking) then your health will surely improve but not to a great extent.
But if you change your lifestyle from sedentary to active, then the other three will most likely fix themselves... When you start being active you feel great and high after the exercise, you lose more and more of the appettite to eat junk, smoke and drink alcohol.

victoriarussell
10-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Basically, saturated fats are found in animal products and processed foods, such as meats, dairy products, chips, and pastries. They are not heart healthy since they are most known for raising LDL cholesterol or simply the "bad cholesterol". That is the reason why Denmark levies first-ever saturated fat tax (http://www.newsytype.com/12317-denmark-fat-tax/). All fats in food in Denmark will be taxed in an effort to lower consumption. The Danish tax system will be the first real-world test of taxing a particular food element as a way to reduce or change consumption toward “healthier” options. Some call this an ineffective effort, but only time can tell. I definitely support this tax because this is an intervention to promote health and maintain wellness.

Logan
10-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Basically, saturated fats are found in animal products and processed foods, such as meats, dairy products, chips, and pastries. They are not heart healthy since they are most known for raising LDL cholesterol or simply the "bad cholesterol". That is the reason why Denmark levies first-ever saturated fat tax (http://www.newsytype.com/12317-denmark-fat-tax/). All fats in food in Denmark will be taxed in an effort to lower consumption. The Danish tax system will be the first real-world test of taxing a particular food element as a way to reduce or change consumption toward “healthier” options. Some call this an ineffective effort, but only time can tell. I definitely support this tax because this is an intervention to promote health and maintain wellness.

I don't agree with these impositions. In war; otherwise they are selective and intrusive. Might as well tax me for not getting enough sleep this week.;)