PDA

View Full Version : 'Nature Is Under Siege': Scientists Sound Alarm About Insect Apocalypse

PHDNM
01-13-2021, 05:09 AM
'Nature Is Under Siege': Scientists Sound Alarm About Insect Apocalypse

Jan 12, 2021

A collection of new scientific papers authored by 56 experts from around the world reiterates rising concerns about bug declines and urges people and governments to take urgent action to address a biodiversity crisis dubbed the "insect apocalypse."

"The Global Decline of Insects in the Anthropocene Special Feature," which includes an introduction and 11 papers, was published Monday in Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences alongside a related news article. "Nature is under siege," the scientists warn. "Insects are suffering from 'death by a thousand cuts.'"

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/01/12/nature-under-siege-scientists-sound-alarm-about-insect-apocalypse

Rafael Passoni
01-13-2021, 07:20 AM
Yes, we need to start to plant more native species and to stop using insecticides. Maybe transgenic products help too.

Linebacker
01-13-2021, 08:54 AM
Ain't nobody going to be sad of a few insect species going extinct. I've wanted them all dead since I was 7 years old.

PaleoEuropean
01-13-2021, 09:31 AM
Ain't nobody going to be sad of a few insect species going extinct. I've wanted them all dead since I was 7 years old.

if that were the case though we would all die, bees especially are crucial to our survival. Bugs feed fish, birds, even a lot of mammals.

Rafael Passoni
01-13-2021, 11:26 PM
Lamps are harmfull to insects too. Maybe changing the lamps' position (on the groubd?) and avoiding light reach green squares, gardens, etc. may help too. Fireflies are near to extinction.