PDA

View Full Version : The Personal Views of Irreligious People (Atheist, Agn. Theist. and Phylosophy foll.)

Graywolf
02-13-2021, 07:45 PM
For being the last atheism thread shut down while heated debates continue i wanted the see personal opinions of irreligious users about goal of life, death and morality like subjects. In the previous thread some users ideas really surprised me. I want to observe also other POVs. I dont want monotheistic believers (judaism,christianity,islam and all derivates of these) to intervene because i want to debate with people who already know these religions are faulty.(and also if i wanted to be preached i would listen to my father not you) But pagans, confucianists , spiritualists etc are welcome.
!!! This topic is only for irreligious people please do not spam the thread like last time!!!

Graywolf
02-13-2021, 08:13 PM
About my personal thoughts on some topics: I dont believe any kind of power or controller exist. Also there aint creator. I am not worried abou afterlife cause i was not worried about to exist when i was non existent. About morality atheisms often related to communism, leftism and hippi kind lifesyle. I am a free market supporter and anti-commie person. And I have some authoritarian instincts. I think politics must be full seperated from religion.

gixajo
02-13-2021, 08:22 PM
About my personal thoughts on some topics: I dont believe any kind of power or controller exist. Also there aint creator. I am not worried abou afterlife cause i was not worried about to exist when i was non existent. About morality atheisms often related to communism, leftism and hippi kind lifesyle. I am a free market supporter and anti-commie person. And I have some authoritarian instincts. I think politics must be full seperated from religion.

I believe that there is no higher being, nor any kind of conscious existence after death.

But I don't rule it out either, I just think that these things exist or not, it doesn't affect anything in my life.

For the rest, I try to act with principles, which I would describe more as ethical principles, than moral ones. But I do not rule out ethical rules based on religious morality, if I believe they are valid.

Basically I try not to treat others, as I would not like them to treat me or those I love.

TheMaestro
02-13-2021, 08:46 PM
Don't give a fuck who believes to what, it's your personal thing, it's like I would be mad for someone liking yellow pineapple... Irelligious or Religious it's your own belief.

michal3141
02-13-2021, 08:46 PM
I assume you are asking about my private take on these.

1. Goal of Life
I don't think there is one single goal in life, at least for me. Life is a journey and not a destination.
I have many small goals like extend my understanding of the world, experience the world, contemplete nature and universe.

2. Death
Death is basically the end of the journey called life. Coming back to what I was before I was conceived.
I guess there is nothing after death but I can never be sure. Maybe there is some reincarnation or afterlife.
I don't reject these possibilities.

3. Morality
I guess you are asking what is the source of morality if there is no God/gods. Is that correct?
Well. For me it is my inner empathy. I just imagine being in someone's shoes.
I am such a person that wouldn't hurt a fly. Because I can imagine myself being this fly.

PS: I don't know if there is no God. I don't know if religions are faulty.

Graywolf
02-13-2021, 08:51 PM
Don't give a fuck who believes to what, it's your personal thing, it's like I would be mad for someone liking yellow pineapple... Irelligious or Religious it's your own belief.

Easy. I didnt blame anyone to think something odd for me. Where did you come up with this? Actually what are you talking about?

gixajo
02-13-2021, 08:54 PM
I assume you are asking about my private take on these.

1. Goal of Life
I don't think there is one single goal in life, at least for me. Life is a journey and not a destination.
I have many small goals like extend my understanding of the world, experience the world, contemplete nature and universe.

PS: I don't know if there is no God. I don't know if religions are faulty.

For a ship without a destination, any course is good.

TheMaestro
02-13-2021, 08:57 PM
Easy. I didnt blame anyone to think something odd for me. Where did you come up with this? Actually what are you talking about?

Title of thread says Personal views of irreligious people, I'm answering the thread, I didn't even read what you had to say since I don't read anything that is longer than 2-3 sentences.

michal3141
02-13-2021, 09:08 PM
For a ship without a destination, any course is good.

I wouldn't say any. Of course I have a set of short term and long term goals + a set of principles.
I have my dreams but I cannot say there is one single goal in life.
So I would compare this to navigating the waters, visiting many destinations and avoiding obstacles.

Hamilcar
02-13-2021, 09:09 PM
I consider myself to be agnostic which implies being open to all sorts of possibilities regarding this universe, death, god, etc but at the same time I viewed religions as man-made. I don't think one religion possesses the truth while the others don't. I also think the way religions tend to describe our universe and its "creator" is way too "childish", simplistic. The concept of a God punishing humans with fire or reward them with superficial pleasures doesn't make sense to me. If there is something behind all of this, it's surely way way more complex and mindblowing than what we might think. Moreover I've always had a very rational/scientific mind, I can't really deal with superstitions or beliefs/faith, I need empirical facts.

As for the meaning of life, I don't think there is any of it, life is absurd by essence (That's what I think for the moment) which might be disturbing for smart animals like us. Therefore I think we have to cope with it and create our own goals, in my case it's thirst for knowledge that keeps me alive lol.

Alexandro
02-13-2021, 09:14 PM
I consider myself an atheist (perhaps leaning to agnosticism because I do not rule out the existence of some higher power, there is simply no reason to believe it true currently), but grew up in a Spanish household so would also describe myself as sort of "culturally catholic", if that makes any sense. In my life, nothing took place that made me "renounce" god, the belief just kind of faded without any pressure to maintain it, but for what it is worth I can see why people believe or have faith in religion or a god. However, from my perspective the universe is an immensely majestic place, life does happen to be incredibly complex, and so to merely attribute that to some god originates from a lack of understanding and/or wanting to ascribe meaning.

I also have no idea why people assume that there necessarily has to be some greater meaning to life, from my perspective our sole inherent purpose is to hydrogenate carbon dioxide, haha, but if you want or need a meaning to your own life then go ahead and create one. I don't care what others believe if it does not affect me, in fact many of my friends are religious and we get along just fine, you know.

michal3141
02-13-2021, 09:21 PM
I consider myself to be agnostic which implies being open to all sorts of possibilities regarding this universe, death, god, etc but at the same time I viewed religions as man-made. I don't think one religion possesses the truth while the others don't. I also think the way religions tend to describe our universe and its "creator" is way too "childish", simplistic. The concept of a God punishing humans with fire or reward them with superficial pleasures doesn't make sense to me. If there is something behind all of this, it's surely way way more complex and mindblowing than what we might think. Moreover I've always had a very rational/scientific mind, I can't really deal with superstitions or beliefs/faith, I need empirical facts.

As for the meaning of life, I don't think there is any of it, life is absurd by essence (That's what I think for the moment) which might be disturbing for smart animals like us. Therefore I think we have to cope with it and create our own goals, in my case it's thirst for knowledge that keeps me alive lol.

Well put. I completely agree.

Sakis
02-13-2021, 09:39 PM
1.For me things are simple. Religions are the result of anthropocentrism and an emotional way of viewing life.

2.There is certainly not a universal goal of life.

3. Morality comes from our inherent empathy. Claiming that morality was invented by religions is an ugly attack on human intelligence.

The main reason though that I don't believe in God is that it makes no difference. I fail to see in what way a believer is better than a non believer.

Tutankhamun
02-13-2021, 10:11 PM
I put Catholic on my profile but honestly just because I am "culturally Catholic" I was raised and a Catholic family etc, but honestly I am far from being the example of one. I don't attend churches, the last time I entered a church was at the seventh day Mass of my grandmother's death about 3 years ago. I would say that with each passing day I found myself more and more agnostic, because I don't ask God for anything, I can't say "God please do this in my life" or things like that, I can't believe the Bible, I can't believe in stories like Adam and Eve, Noah's ark, Moses etc. And I completely agree with Hamilcar, the way religions tend to describe our universe and its "creator" is very "childish", simplistic. If there is anything behind it, it is certainly much more complex and mind-boggling than we might think.

Hithaeglir
02-14-2021, 02:33 PM
I just don't believe that one god exists, creator of everything. The universe is too complex but things that can't be explained yet, will be in the future, while science advances further. Religion had purpose hundreds of years ago when people weren't able to rationalize natural processes so they had to attribute to something of higher power since they didn't have the means to analyze phenomena and lead to conclusions.

Hektor12
02-14-2021, 03:36 PM
Morality comes from our inherent empathy. Claiming that morality was invented by religions is an ugly attack on human intelligence.

Additionally, morality which was forced upon person by a "supreme power" is NOT real morality. Its only "fear factor" from the supposed fire in the hell. Only inherent empathy is morality, which is person's own choice, not something dictated.

JamesBond007
02-14-2021, 04:30 PM
For being the last atheism thread shut down while heated debates continue i wanted the see personal opinions of irreligious users about goal of life, death and morality like subjects. In the previous thread some users ideas really surprised me. I want to observe also other POVs. I dont want monotheistic believers (judaism,christianity,islam and all derivates of these) to intervene because i want to debate with people who already know these religions are faulty.(and also if i wanted to be preached i would listen to my father not you) But pagans, confucianists , spiritualists etc are welcome.
!!! This topic is only for irreligious people please do not spam the thread like last time!!!

The goal of life strictlly speaking is to pass on your genes although you do not necessarily have to since humans have the intelligence to over ride that instinct. The goal of life philosophically speaking is this : life is to be gotten over and not to be enjoyed. One of the biggest mistakes is to think that since there is likely no god that morality can't be justified on philosophical grounds or that life is merely materialistic with no moral dimensions. When you die that is the end of everything you cease to exist but that does not mean you should think you are special since you are tiny speck of dust in an almost infinitely large universe. It might be better for my country and people if I was Episcopalian but I can't force myself to literally believe it that is the problem in a nutshell.

I don't think that religion is important to human happiness in the modern world. It was in the time of French thinker Diderot and before that but nowadays your happiness relies more than you realize on math or the correct interpretation of government statistics; however, I don't think we exist in order to be happy.

gixajo
02-14-2021, 04:37 PM
Additionally, morality which was forced upon person by a "supreme power" is NOT real morality. Its only "fear factor" from the supposed fire in the hell. Only inherent empathy is morality, which is person's own choice, not something dictated.

I agree, the moral (or ethical) act must start from the initiative of the person,and being voluntary, and not from the fear of punishment(neither provided by a superior being, nor by society).

gixajo
02-14-2021, 04:38 PM
It seems that the recurring troll who makes false accounts just to give thumbs down, is someone religious.;)

Tolstoy
03-19-2021, 01:33 PM
Meaning of life: For me life is meaningless in a great sense, but you could find meaning if you create something.
Death: I think we are kind of immortal, we only transform this form into another. I think that we don't regain conscience after death but our group of atoms only split and form a new group.
Morals: As an atheist I could perceive that life is terrible and because of that I became vegetarian and an anti-natalist. I feel more compassion towards other living beings.