PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Publisher Faces Interrogation for Printing Danish Cartoons

Sol Invictus
04-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Ezra Levant
National Post
April 1, 2009

On Jan. 11, 2008, I was summoned to a 90-minute government interrogation. My crime? As the publisher of Western Standard magazine, I had reprinted Danish cartoons depicting the Muslim prophet Muhammad to illustrate a news story. I was charged with the offence of “discrimination” and made to appear before Alberta’s Human Rights and Citizenship Commission (AHRCC) for questioning. As crazy as it sounds, I became the only person in the world to face legal sanction for printing those cartoons.

“In an investigation interview,” my interrogator, Shirlene McGovern, said, “I always ask people [their intent] … what was the intent and purpose of your article with the cartoon illustrations?” That one sentence summed up the commission’s illiberal nature. The idea that the government could haul in a publisher and force him to answer questions about his political beliefs didn’t seem extraordinary to this woman. Apparently, it was all in a day’s work.

And what was my intent and purpose? I’ve been asked that question a hundred times since I published the cartoons, and I always answer the same way: The images — and the reaction they caused — were newsworthy. As a magazine publisher, I am in the news business. My colleagues and I wanted to show our readers what the fuss was about. But when a government officer demanded to know why I’d dared publish the cartoons, that matter-of-fact answer just didn’t seem appropriate.

Full Article (http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1445946)

Solwyn
04-02-2009, 02:55 AM
I am not shocked but I am disappointed in my fellow countrymen.

A good friend of mine left a lucrative career as a hairstylist to raise awareness about the SPP and North American Union that is not supposed to exist. She is followed and watched by the authorities all the time and yet not once has she ever been violent or untoward in any regard.

However, I guess it is a sign that you are onto something, when the government can't stop bullying you.

Sol Invictus
04-02-2009, 03:13 AM
I'm shocked and appauled at how all the information about a Police State and North American Union is mainstream information and yet people are just flatly denying it's existence, or downplaying it as insignificant, thinking it won't effect them at all. It shows how people have been conditioned to this their whole lives to accept slavery and accept control.

When the merge happens, you can bet your ass that your freedom of speech and right to protest against the powers that be will be denied and criminalized. How could anyone in their right mind, who knows anything about the Charter, would stand idle as our rights to speak are suppressed and silenced. How people who simply speak the truth are harrassed, tortured and interrogated as this person was.

George Orwell and my favorite quote:

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act."

The day will come when everyone will realize that they can no longer afford to deny the existance of the elephant in the room.

Thorum
09-25-2009, 03:26 AM
Speaking of the Danish Cartoons. The fear it has caused publishers continues:

"Yale University Press (http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/rdbook/1812/satanic_or_silly:_does_yale_press_censorship_of_ca rtoons_insult_muslims/), [made] the decision to remove the negative cartoon images of Muhammad from [the recently published] 'The Cartoons That Shook the World'. Brandeis University Professor Jytte Klausen, author of the scholarly assessment of the affair and the issue of depicting the prophet Muhammad, has reluctantly decided to accept the publisher’s censorship; even the removal of illustrations that have previously not been seen as controversial."

Yes, the book is about the cartoons but due to fear of Muslim riots, the cartoons were removed from the book!!

Aemma
02-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Shakedown: How Our Government Is Undermining Democracy in the Name of Human Rights by Ezra Levant.

Has anyone here read it? If so, what did you think?