PDA

View Full Version : Australians are racist, says men accused of killing Luke Mitchell

European blood
10-10-2011, 07:18 PM
TWO Thai men accused of murdering good Samaritan Luke Mitchell claim they cannot get a fair trial in Victoria because of racism.

Surad Seehaverchart, 29, and Thatiya Terdputham, 36, are fighting extradition over the 2009 killing of Mr Mitchell, 29, who was stabbed five times after he broke up a fight outside a Brunswick nightclub, reported the Herald Sun.

Mr Seehaverchart told a Bangkok court yesterday he was happy to stand trial in Thailand but did not want to be returned to Australia, because he had been called a "stupid Asian" and had heard reports of many racist attacks.

"Asians have to stay low profile to avoid being bullied in Australia," he told judges in Ratchada Criminal Court.

He said he had been a student at Taylor College in Melbourne.

He flew back to Thailand soon after Mr Mitchell was killed and was arrested several months later.

He denied running away.

Asked why he wanted to stand trial in Thailand, he said: "Because I'm Thai. If I'm found guilty, I'd like to be punished in Thailand."

Asked by one of the three judges what he was afraid of, he replied: "I understand the procedures in the Thai court. I'd like to prove my innocence to a Thai court only."

He and Mr Terdputham, dressed in orange prison garb and with heavy metal chains on their legs, denied killing Mr Mitchell, a chef from Sanctuary Lakes.

After yesterday's final witness hearing, they told reporters the person who stabbed the Melbourne chef two years ago was a third Thai man yet to be arrested, who is reportedly the son of an influential military officer.

"We did not kill him. The one who did, he's away - he's still on the run," Mr Terdputham said after the judges had left the court.

"We are very sorry to Luke, as well.

"We didn't know it was going to happen.

"We are sorry for the (Mitchell) family."

Earlier, a human rights activist told the court sending the men to face trial in Melbourne would be a violation of their privacy and rights as Thai citizens.

Extradition would be a breach of their rights and "unsafe", said Sophon Tatichotiphan.

Cholika Nonnithikul, Mr Seehaverchart's mother, a teacher, told reporters her son had never been in trouble before.

Mr Mitchell's brother Shane said it was farcical that anyone would call Australia racist. "We are an accepting multicultural nation," he said. "To call us racist is absurd."

The verdict is expected on November 30.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/australians-are-racist-says-men-accused-of-killing-luke-mitchell/story-e6frf7jx-1226147511612

The Lawspeaker
10-11-2011, 01:25 AM
If only the Australians were racist these slimeballs would have been strung up by the balls by now. Committing murder and then crying racism upon facing prosecution. Weak and cheap.

AussieScott
10-11-2011, 04:38 AM
They wonder why crying racist has little effect now a days.