PDA

View Full Version : Don't take calcium as a supplement, it's crap.

Universe
04-13-2021, 07:22 AM
Studies have shown taking calcium supplements raise the chance of cardiovascular diseases.
It doesn't even give you strong bones. If you want strong bones, do sports, take vitamin d, k1, k2, a, and magnesium (but not as magnesium oxide).
You get enough calcium from food, there's no need to have excess amount. The problem is majority people nowadays have vitamin k deficiency. Vitamin K is responsible for directing calcium to the bones. If you have vitamin K deficiency the Ca will just stay in your bloodstream and calcifies your veins from inside, making them inelastic.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-attack/expert-answers/calcium-supplements/faq-20058352#:~:text=A%20study%20from%20the%20National ,higher%20risk%20of%20heart%20disease.

Universe
04-14-2021, 10:01 AM
"Calcium supplements linked to dementia, stroke, depression, hip fracture and death"
https://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/taking-calcium-supplements-causes-brain-lesions

Laly
04-14-2021, 10:24 AM
Very interesting!

Alenka
04-14-2021, 10:34 AM
No need for any supplements unless there's a deficiency confirmed by blood panel.
If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Universe
04-14-2021, 10:37 AM
No need for any supplements unless there's a deficiency confirmed by blood panel.
It depends. Some supplements are justified and beneficial, others are not needed and can even be harmful.

Linebacker
04-14-2021, 10:41 AM
Is it really 2021 and people still don't know multivitamin supplements exist and you don't have to buy and take vitamins separately?

Universe
04-14-2021, 10:47 AM
Is it really 2021 and people still don't know multivitamin supplements exist and you don't have to buy and take vitamins separately?
multivitamins are usually crap tbh, their marketing is good, sure... I prefer to take them separately
Calcium is useless/harmful even if it's taken as part of multivitamin.

Very interesting!
Most doctors won't tell you this because they simply don't care about supplements. They only care about drugs. Many of them will even recommend taking calcium to treat or to prevent osteoporosis.

Ion Basescul
04-14-2021, 10:56 AM

Some require higher concentrations of certain vitamins, whereas multivitamins usually give you just the recommended amount for the average human.

In general, I suggest everyone to get the free vitamin report of their genotype from foundmyfitness.com/genetics

It is led by this researcher:

https://youtu.be/tBSfIckPV44

Universe
04-23-2021, 10:03 AM
"The study, published on the British Medical Journal's website, found that people over the age of 50 don't get stronger bones by eating calcium-packed dairy products or taking calcium supplements.
In fact, those who took calcium were just as likely to suffer from fractures as those who did not."
https://www.dairyreporter.com/Article/2015/10/01/Calcium-doesn-t-strengthen-bones-study-concludes#:~:text=The%20study%2C%20published%20on% 20the,as%20those%20who%20did%20not

Universe
04-23-2021, 10:40 AM
"After analyzing 10 years of medical tests on more than 2,700 people in a federally funded heart disease study, researchers at Johns Hopkins Medicine and elsewhere conclude that taking calcium in the form of supplements may raise the risk of plaque buildup in arteries and heart damage,"
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/calcium_supplements_may_damage_the_heart#:~:text=A fter%20analyzing%2010%20years%20of,a%20diet%20high %20in%20calcium%2D

Lemminkäinen
04-23-2021, 10:43 AM
Who takes calcium? Men at all ages have not calcium deficiency if they eat good food. Another useless additive is iron. As long as you are healthy you never need iron pills. I don't eat spinach and red meat and my hemoglobin is 165. Men usually have too much iron. Never heard about healthy people eating good stuff suffering from low hemoglobin. I take D vitamin in the winter time and C and E vitamins.

Universe
04-23-2021, 10:56 AM
Who takes calcium? Men at all ages have not calcium deficiency if they eat good food. Another useless additive is iron. As long as you are healthy you never need iron pills. I don't eat spinach and red meat and my hemoglobin is 165. Men usually have too much iron. Never heard about healthy people eating good stuff suffering from low hemoglobin. I take D vitamin in the winter time and C and E vitamins.
Some people do take it. It's also part of some multivitamins.
Furthermore, I heard that some doctors recommend their osteoporosis patients to take calcium. It doesn't improve bone density and it only creates more health problems.

Universe
04-23-2021, 10:58 AM
I'm back here to continue my crusade on calcium supplements, OHHH YEAAAAAHHH.

Loki
04-23-2021, 11:41 AM
You normally get enough calcium from drinking milk regularly. At least, those who do not suffer from lactose intolerance.

Universe
04-23-2021, 11:48 AM
You normally get enough calcium from drinking milk regularly. At least, those who do not suffer from lactose intolerance.
Lactose intolerant people shouldn't consume calcium supplement either. The point is it doesn't improve bone density, it just creates cardiovascular problems, so it's totally pointless or even dangerois to take it. Despite that, some doctors will recommend calcium supplementation to old people with osteoporosis, but ca supplementation doesn't work for such people either.

How much "international units" of vitamin d do you take on a daily basis?

Universe
04-23-2021, 11:57 AM
Lol at consuming calcium supplements in 2021, that's so 1990. It's a shit tier and sub-human supplement, I wouldn't feed it to a stray dog. It should be illegal to take it.

Lemminkäinen
04-23-2021, 04:16 PM

How much "international units" of vitamin d do you take on a daily basis?

2000 IU (50 ug)

Jaromir
04-23-2021, 04:45 PM
I consume calcium but with something that is now considered poison. Boron and magnesium are needed, among other things, to move the misplaced calcium to the bones.
https://www.healthline.com/health/is-borax-safe#safe-uses
I do not recommend

Universe
04-23-2021, 04:47 PM
I consume calcium but with something that is now considered poison. Boron and magnesium are needed, among other things, to move the misplaced calcium to the bones.
Calcium supplement isn't needed for strong bones: https://www.dairyreporter.com/Article/2015/10/01/Calcium-doesn-t-strengthen-bones-study-concludes#:~:text=The%20study%2C%20published%20on% 20the,as%20those%20who%20did%20not
I'd take it if I wanted to die prematurely of heart attack.
Which type of magnesium are you taking? Oxide? Citrate? Bisglicinate?

Roy
04-27-2021, 11:19 PM

Magnesium will not hurt anyone though and can help many.

JamesBond007
04-27-2021, 11:24 PM
Studies have shown taking calcium supplements raise the chance of cardiovascular diseases.
It doesn't even give you strong bones. If you want strong bones, do sports, take vitamin d, k1, k2, a, and magnesium (but not as magnesium oxide).
You get enough calcium from food, there's no need to have excess amount. The problem is majority people nowadays have vitamin k deficiency. Vitamin K is responsible for directing calcium to the bones. If you have vitamin K deficiency the Ca will just stay in your bloodstream and calcifies your veins from inside, making them inelastic.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-attack/expert-answers/calcium-supplements/faq-20058352#:~:text=A%20study%20from%20the%20National ,higher%20risk%20of%20heart%20disease.

Vitamin K deficiency ? More like Vitamin D deficiency is more common.

JamesBond007
04-27-2021, 11:27 PM

It depends some people are genetically prone to be deficient in certain vitamins and minerals also certain prescription drugs can zap out specific nutrients from your system where taking specific supplements makes sense.

tipirneni
04-27-2021, 11:53 PM
Try alternate medicine Ayurveda natural calcium suppliment
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233861217497?hash=item367336fcd9:g:paoAAOSwCN9f7KJ m

Herbo-mineral Calcium Rich Ayurvedic tablets, Old age related Osteoporosis

Non-healing fractures, Calcium deficiency during pregnancy & lactation

1-2 tablets twice or thrice a day with milk

Universe
05-07-2021, 07:11 PM
Both are common. The point is if you take take vitamin D you should take vitamin K too.
Vitamin D raises calcium level in your blood which is undesirable in the long run if you aren't taking vitamin K. Taking vitamin D alone is still probably better than not taking anything at all. Taking calcium and vitamin-d supplements simultaneously (but not taking vitamin K) is straight up madness.
A good read: https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2017/11/vitamin-k-and-arterial-stiffness

Benyzero
05-07-2021, 07:22 PM
Ye calcium in most if the cases only needed after 50. And for kids aswell.

Universe
05-07-2021, 07:26 PM
Ye calcium in most if the cases only needed after 50. And for kids aswell.
Calcium is needed from the diet, not as a supplement. The supplement is useless and even harmful for old people who have Osteoporosis.

Daco Celtic
05-07-2021, 08:20 PM
This sounds like something my dad would tell me. He's been going to those vitamin/health food stores since like 1979.

Mr.G
05-07-2021, 09:20 PM
This sounds like something my dad would tell me. He's been going to those vitamin/health food stores since like 1979.

Same, my dad was popping BCAA tabs like they were candy, back in the day :lol:

Everytime one of us started to feel sick, he gave us those Zinc tabs you put under your tongue, and vitamin C too, of course.

Daco Celtic
05-07-2021, 10:00 PM
Same, my dad was popping BCAA tabs like they were candy, back in the day :lol:

Everytime one of us started to feel sick, he gave us those Zinc tabs you put under your tongue, and vitamin C too, of course.

Yup, good old zinc and Vitamin C. Our dads are probably around same age. I think my dad started to buy them in the late 70s when the health food and vitamins culture was starting to blossom and never looked back.

Universe
05-11-2021, 10:22 AM
Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life

The secret to avoiding calcium-related osteoporosis and atherosclerosis
While millions of people take calcium and Vitamin D supplements thinking they're helping their bones, the truth is, without the addition of Vitamin K2, such a health regimen could prove dangerous. Without Vitamin K2, the body cannot direct calcium to the bones where it's needed; instead, the calcium resides in soft tissue (like the arteries)--leading to a combination of osteoporosis and atherosclerosis, or the dreaded "calcium paradox." This is the first book to reveal how universal a Vitamin K2 deficiency is, and the risk (in the form of cancer and diabetes, among other ailments) the absence of Vitamin K2 poses.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41-TZCv64YL._SX315_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062320041/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0062320041&linkCode=as2&tag=empowesusten-20&linkId=7KPNYVKZ5SJ7XRFG

Insuperable
01-31-2022, 04:40 PM
"The study, published on the British Medical Journal's website, found that people over the age of 50 don't get stronger bones by eating calcium-packed dairy products or taking calcium supplements.
In fact, those who took calcium were just as likely to suffer from fractures as those who did not."
https://www.dairyreporter.com/Article/2015/10/01/Calcium-doesn-t-strengthen-bones-study-concludes#:~:text=The%20study%2C%20published%20on% 20the,as%20those%20who%20did%20not

Calcium won't do much without Vitamin D just like protein won't do much without testosterone in building muscles. Vitamin D is an anabolic hormone. Most people suffer from Vitamin D deficiency and calcium is not that abundant mineral, especially if people are not eating dairy products.

Also, half of bones are made of phosphorus, a vitamin which people neglect and magnesium is needed too for proper bone synthesis. It can get very complicated. For example if phosphorus input crosses a certain threshold or is higher than calcium in body that contributes to bone destruction which is why people who eat a lot of refined meat like sausages or what not have low bone density. You need stuff in right balance.

Both are common. The point is if you take take vitamin D you should take vitamin K too.
Vitamin D raises calcium level in your blood which is undesirable in the long run if you aren't taking vitamin K. Taking vitamin D alone is still probably better than not taking anything at all. Taking calcium and vitamin-d supplements simultaneously (but not taking vitamin K) is straight up madness.
A good read: https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2017/11/vitamin-k-and-arterial-stiffness

Vitamin K, especially vitamin K2 makes blood thicker and makes blood transport more efficient. Some people have naturally thicker blood.

Insuperable
01-31-2022, 04:46 PM
Personally, I consider it's essential to consult a nutritionist and perform a blood test before taking any supplements. It's also important to buy quality meds only. I make all the purchases at Canada Drugs Online (https://www.canadadrugsdirect.com/). Currently, I take vitamin B12 because I am a vegan. To be honest, it's almost impossible to get everything needed from food nowadays.

Yes, it is very hard to satisfy daily recommendations for every mineral and vitamin. Especially if someone is very physically active, that person may need the double or more of what is recommended and also a thicker wallet. Fortunately various foods are abundant in some vitamins and minerals and some vtamins can be stored by body and some like vitamin B and C can't be stored. But that is life.

Lemminkäinen
01-31-2022, 04:49 PM
I have never taken calsium supplements. Conversely doctors recommend calsium for elderly people and warn from plaque buildups. Iron supplements are also useles, if you are healthy. My hemoglobin is 164, has been always over 160. Free blood iron can be too high.

Roy
07-02-2022, 12:51 PM
I have never taken calsium supplements. Conversely doctors recommend calsium for elderly people and warn from plaque buildups. Iron supplements are also useles, if you are healthy. My hemoglobin is 164, has been always over 160. Free blood iron can be too high.

Yeah, I don't get taking calcium supplements unless you're at risk of developing osteoporosis or have one like my grandma.

And taking multivitamin supplements do not bring any real health benefits, even to the contrary - has been linked with higher mortality.

There's a merit though in supplementing folic acid and vitamin D.