PDA

View Full Version : Hotels in Athens - beware...

Absinthe
04-03-2009, 11:28 AM
A friend of mine from another part of Greece is coming to Athens for the weekend, and he called me up yesterday and asked me to book a decent hotel room* for him because he's in the army and he doesn't have access to the internet.

*Decent hotel room in Athens...

Well there's a paradox here :D You see the problem with Athens is the following. There are really luxurious (and rather expensive) 5-star hotels and then there are....hotels (if you can call them that) that are below the standards of Zimbabwe even, and that are also pricey considering their lack of basic services (beginning from 50euros/night for a single bed room :eek:).

So there's basically not many intermediate solutions...either you pick a really expensive hotel or you cross your fingers that you don't end up in a ghetto hotel with prostitutes and organized crime members... :D

I am basically aware of those dangers so I first tried the very few hotels that I already know of, that have reasonable prices and offer decent accomodation.

After all my attempts failed since there were no vacancies, I resorted to google search for other hotels that might be inexpensive.

Some of the reviews cracked me up big time and I thought it's pure Aristophanic comedy as well as priceless to share for laughs...

We are at the centre of Athens. We offer a roof garden bar and restaurant, internet, air-conditioned rooms and a full American breakfast!

Hotel Diethnes, a beautiful neo-classic building, is centraly located in Athens just next to Metro and suburban stations.
‘Hotel Diethnes,’ easy accessible by the red line of the Athens metro network from the Airport and the Harbor is centrally located in Athens in a very well preserved building of the 20th century.
The 25 spacious rooms, the facilities and the excellent services can guarantee your pleasant and comfortable accommodation in sunny Athens where nightlife experiences go on and on...
All our comfortable rooms are air-conditioned, have ensuite shower and bathrooms equipped with hairdryer, TFT 19" TV Monitor, telephone and minibar.

“Stay Away!!”

A TripAdvisor Member
Vienna, Austria

Mar 22, 2006
14/16 found this review helpful

I have been living in Europe for 2 1/2 years now and travel a lot during school vacations--I am an international teacher. I always stay in budget hotels or pensions.

This hotel is one of the worst places I have ever been--so bad it is memorable. (:D)

The area of the hotel is a place of vacant lots and empty, half torn down buidling. It looks like a war zone. (:D)

There are no decent shops or cafes anywhere near the hotel. It is near the metro on which it takes about 20 minutes to get to central Athens.

The first night I was there I saw a cockroach crawling along the wall. Then another. (:D)

I had booked the hotel through the intenet and paid for two nights in advance.

The second night there were more cockroaches. (:D)

I left the hotel after 2 nights and spent the rest of the week somewhere else. The room was dreary and drab and not very clean with soiled/stained looking carpet and bedspread.
The window looked out on a vacant lot full of trash. (:D)

I had reserved for a week, and when I told the hotel clerks I was leaving because of the bugs, they were very rude and resistent and an argument insued.
Eventually, I just left and had to hope they wouldn't charge my credit card for the nights I didn't stay. They didn't. I would tell anyone to avoid this place. It is dirty and bug infested and in a horrible neighborhod. The hotel staff/management are not what I would consider honorable because of their attitude when I wanted to check out because of the bugs.

:icon_lol:

Having encountered similar situations during my vacations in greek islands, I suspect the above story to be absolutely, 100% true.

The window view to a dirty alley is always a classic :icon_lol: and the stained bed sheets and bugs is nothing to be surprised of.

The jist of the story:

:eusa_shifty: Should any of you, from whatever reason, ever decide to visit Athens even for a single night, do not book a room over the internet, trusting the description of the Hotel.
Consult me first and I will do my best to research for decent accomodation for you. :) And don't let this deter you from travelling here...it is an interesting place to visit....just mind the bed bugs don't bite! :D

Absinthe
04-03-2009, 11:45 AM
And another thing to beware of...

I picked a random example of a Hotel (http://www.holiday-in-athens.com/athens/gr/hotel-alassia-athens.html) that looks absolutely decent and cute in the photos:

http://www.holiday-in-athens.com/hotelsphotos/at/default/247_08.jpg
http://www.holiday-in-athens.com/hotelsphotos/at/default/247_02.jpg
http://www.holiday-in-athens.com/hotelsphotos/at/default/247_06.jpg
http://www.holiday-in-athens.com/hotelsphotos/at/default/247_07.jpg

...and it probably is very clean and well taken care of inside (I have no reasons to doubt that), yet while the desctiption says it is situated right in the center of Athens,

The Alassia Hotel is an excitingly designed minimalist affair, with discrete luxury oozing from the lobby the moment you arrive.

:icon_lol:

The Alassia Hotel right in the centre of Athens is a 4 star hotel that will surprise
and impress. Located right beside the Omonia Square and within 5
minutes walking distance of the Old Town, Alassia hotel is a perfect
base for both business and leisure.

Alassia is the perfect hotel for an affluent stay right in the heart of Athens

^ :D ...they very conveniently forget to mention that Socratous is one of the most notorious streets (that all the locals avoid), a rather dangerous, and impermeable by the police, illegal immigrant ghetto which, at night, transforms into the workplace of drug dealers and black hookers. :rolleyes:

Black Turlogh
04-03-2009, 09:19 PM
I spent two weeks in Athens a number of years ago at two separate hotels. Their names escape me, unfortunately, but I recall, at the second hotel, going out on the balcony to have a look about. In the alleyway beneath was a makeshift market where hundreds of immigrant vendors (I assume they were Turks and sub-Saharan Africans, by the looks of them) had laid their wares -- everything from running shoes to watches and beyond -- out for display. I couldn't help myself but laugh when a distant siren rang and the collective lot packed up their things in no more than 15 seconds and scattered.

In any case, I very much enjoyed the trip. I don't travel for business and I don't have any particular interest in being housed in conditions suited for royalty. Admittedly, both places were pretty shabby, but I kinda like that. Gives the place character.

Vulpix
04-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I have been to many places all over the world, South Africa and China included, and the shabbiest hotel I can remember was... in Athens :D! I also caught salmonellosis while there :(.

Fortis in Arduis
04-04-2009, 01:32 AM
I took an apartment in Plaka:

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/athens/39307

I would stay there again, but not in that apartment.

There was nothing wrong with it, but it lacked sparkle.

I think that I would stay here:

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/athens/85214

It seemed reasonable compared to the hotel prices.

Absinthe
04-04-2009, 07:51 AM
In the alleyway beneath was a makeshift market where hundreds of immigrant vendors (I assume they were Turks and sub-Saharan Africans, by the looks of them) had laid their wares -- everything from running shoes to watches and beyond -- out for display. I couldn't help myself but laugh when a distant siren rang and the collective lot packed up their things in no more than 15 seconds and scattered.

It sounds a lot like the aforementioned Socratous street. Maybe you stayed in that Hotel that's oozing with luxury. :D

Fortis in Arduis
04-04-2009, 10:01 AM
It sounds a lot like the aforementioned Socratous street. Maybe you stayed in that Hotel that's oozing with luxury. :D

Oh right, so oozing would be the mot de jour. :D :rolleyes:

Ok, I think that it is time for me to shut up now... :embarrassed :p

Atlas
04-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Athens and Greece should be on my destination list in the future... Hope the hostels will be okay.

The worst hostel I have been to was in New York back in 2004. It was a cheap youth hostel in a quarter called "Chelsea". For $30 a night, I couldn't expect much...

SwordoftheVistula
04-05-2009, 11:19 AM
The worst hostel I have been to was in New York back in 2004. It was a cheap youth hostel in a quarter called "Chelsea". For $30 a night, I couldn't expect much...

Yeah, that's a bad area. I wouldn't recommend traveling to NYC unless you plan to stay outside the city or if you have money to pay at least $150-$200/night for a halfway decent hotel, or you know someone in or near the city you can stay with. You can't travel in the US staying in hostels for 10-20 Euros/night like you can in Europe.