PDA

View Full Version : Help: Tips For Addressing a Professor

Smaug
04-23-2021, 04:36 PM
Hello, I need help from some of our more scholarly members.

I am doing a personal project and I have found an essay that is of great interest to me. The thing is that it was published by a professor from a university in another country and I can't seem to find the whole text on the internet. I was thinking about emailing said professor in order to ask her for the whole paper, however I don't know if it is something feasible and if it is, I do not know how to address her on the subject without wasting what could be my only shot at getting her help. I'd like to make it clear that I only need this essay for personal research and I do not intend to use it for financial gain or anything like that.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Linebacker
04-25-2021, 04:34 AM
You don't have to call them "your archmagnificence" or anything.

They get like 100 emails a day and they don't pay that much attention to how its addressed. Just ask what you want and they will reply to you with it usually.

JamesBond007
04-25-2021, 04:37 AM

I am doing a personal project and I have found an essay that is of great interest to me. The thing is that it was published by a professor from a university in another country and I can't seem to find the whole text on the internet. I was thinking about emailing said professor in order to ask her for the whole paper, however I don't know if it is something feasible and if it is, I do not know how to address her on the subject without wasting what could be my only shot at getting her help. I'd like to make it clear that I only need this essay for personal research and I do not intend to use it for financial gain or anything like that.

Lie and say you want to cite the article or essay in a research paper in the realm or milieu of academia.

JamesBond007
04-25-2021, 04:44 AM

Did you try JSTOR , first ? I would try JSTOR even if it is not free , first , before emailing them.

Smaug
04-27-2021, 12:52 PM
You don't have to call them "your archmagnificence" or anything.

They get like 100 emails a day and they don't pay that much attention to how its addressed. Just ask what you want and they will reply to you with it usually.

Pretty straightfoward, I guess that's it. Thank you, mate.

Did you try JSTOR , first ? I would try JSTOR even if it is not free , first , before emailing them.

What is JSTOR? I've never heard of it.

Aldaris
05-02-2021, 06:00 PM
If it's a whole summarizing book with 500 pages, they won't just send it to you for free, those tend to be expensive as fuck, but in a case of a casual paper, I don't see how anyone could be irritated if you ask them to provide it for you if you're gonna be respectful. Zero worries. A polite request should be enough. (or if you know the title, I can download it from researchgate and make it URL - but that's not a completely legal option)